Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

National anthems are basically theme songs for nations.

FOS and GSTK are absolute guff. I'd boo both of them. Fucking get better ones bitch.

I vote for ‘Packs of 3’ by Arab Strap because the idea of the camera panning up and down while the team mouths the opening line “it was the biggest cock you’d ever seen” makes me giggle. 

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The atmosphere wasn't poisonous at all, it was standard football pantomime stuff aside from the aforementioned Kane songs from a small number, and an even smaller number of England fans shouting down the minute's silence for Craig Brown. There was nothing violent in the air, and fans were walking to and from the stadium together and so on.

Not what I had seen after game, some of them were ambushed. 

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

One thing that had me signing (I mean one thing among many) was our dogshit kick off where we passed it back then immediately hoofed it aimlessly up the pitch, instantly giving away possession.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

I could see them doing this by the way they lined up. England had the ball 3 seconds after KO. It is pathetic and the kind of thing we done with our primary school team.

Keep possession, even playing it back to your defenders and drawing the opposition in to open the game.

Even good teams do this a lot though, you're basically trying to get them into their own half and then press them hard. That seems like a better way to create an early chance rather than trying to pass it through 10 outfield players.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Even good teams do this a lot though, you're basically trying to get them into their own half and then press them hard. That seems like a better way to create an early chance rather than trying to pass it through 10 outfield players.

Can't agree. It's garbage football in my view.

England under Southgate are incredibly fond of the long diagonal ball. Although to be fair with Rashford and Saka on the wings you can see why. 

Edit - especially against a 352. 

Edited by TheScarf

19 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Should we have played four at the back ?

( in hindsight )

I'd say so. Full backs playing their natural position would've helped with the way the Nigels play (wingers high and wide at all times). 

One of the things about our 'system' is that we play it every game 

Pretty much anytime a side has taken the effort to study us tactically and set up for us,  they've done a number on us

Southgate was talking about our system in the lead up to the game so they were clearly paying attention to it 

The next evolution of this side would be having some tactical adaptability to it

Edited by Binos

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Can't agree. It's garbage football in my view.

Craig Brown always did this from kick off hoof it into the opposition full back area, , making them knock it out for a throw deep in Thier half or a corner,  meaning you immediately pin them in Thier own half .I recall Billy Dodds saying that Brow. Told them to do this in games, 

40 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Craig Brown always did this from kick off hoof it into the opposition full back area, , making them knock it out for a throw deep in Thier half or a corner,  meaning you immediately pin them in Thier own half .I recall Billy Dodds saying that Brow. Told them to do this in games, 

That was nearly 25-30 years ago.

As we saw on Tuesday, it's an archaic and frankly laughable tactic that hasn't been effective for many, many years.

35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

As we saw on Tuesday, it's an archaic and frankly laughable tactic that hasn't been effective for many, many years.

I don't think the reason we lost on Tuesday was because of how we took the kick-off, so I don't know how you can claim anything about the effectiveness of it from that single data point.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't think the reason we lost on Tuesday was because of how we took the kick-off, so I don't know how you can claim anything about the effectiveness of it from that single data point.

Where did I say we lost because of the kick off? 

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

England got the ball and simply kept possession. They are top international players that are extremely comfortable to take a ball down from distance even with players chasing them down and pass to a team mate. Within seconds they had possession, Scotland had loaded up on one side and were probably scrambling around to get back in shape.

Much better to play it back, keep possession, get the players a touch of the ball and open up the game. If you keep possession for a few minutes it is more beneficial than to be chasing it immediately. 

I really like the way we play just now so don't feel too strongly about this but it just seemed a silly way to start a game.

It wasn't the reason we lost.

I also don't regularly see many top teams doing this.