Injuries

How many do we have in the squad right now?

28 minus dykes and doak = 26 plus conway = 27. That right?

if we ditch a keeper and 2 get injured on friday thats 24.. two under the permitted number

Who goes to a tournament with fewer players than the number allowed?

do we take 4 keepers just for a laugh? Phone a couple of players up with 2 hours till deadline?

This is a farce. we knew we had players carrying injuries and others could occur. Provisional squad of 34 or 32 was obviously needed. Amateur hour

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

These two things don't really match up, if you don't think there are guys who could play at this level then why bother stringing them along as part of a provisional squad when they'd have little chance of being involved.

Yeah, true. But also little point in calling up unfit boys who have little chance in playing either.

Or give some future prospects the experience of tournament football. That’s why it was good to see Doak (& now Conway) included.

Edited by Angry Jim McLean

6 minutes ago, true fan said:

if we ditch a keeper and 2 get injured on friday thats 24.. two under the permitted number

do we take 4 keepers just for a laugh? Phone a couple of players up with 2 hours till deadline?

This is a farce. we knew we had players carrying injuries and others could occur. Provisional squad of 34 or 32 was obviously needed. Amateur hour

Hopefully no one injured on Friday and we will take all 27 fit players to Euros with one of goalkeepers dropping out of squad but will kick around training at Euros as I believe you can replace a goalkeeper during the Euros if any injuries.

After watching Hungary tonight v Ireland we have a chance if go into that game on even just 1 point.

Other teams are playing friendlies after Friday's deadline? What happens if they get a player injured just too bad as 26 man squad now? Or can you call someone else up?

10 minutes ago, true fan said:

Yeah. 27.

It's nuanced, though: McTominay, Cooper, Armstrong, Hanley, Adams, Tierney, Souttar, Jack are all carrying knocks/recently recovered.

If all 8 of those players pull out of the squad then the provisional squad is 19.

If that's the scenario then Steve Clarke will have to scramble to call up seven players.

This is potentially a shambles of Steve Clarke's making.

Players like Doig, Johnston, Barron, Conway, Watson, Miller, etc, should've been in the original squad.

Picking 28 players, particularly when a fair amount of those 28 were nursing injuries, was always a disaster waiting to happen.

Where is this idea of a massive squad coming from? No one is picking 100 players in case someone gets injured, you just call up replacements.

This forum gets more batshit mental every day

Just now, MarkoRaj said:

Where is this idea of a massive squad coming from? No one is picking 100 players in case someone gets injured, you just call up replacements.

This forum gets more batshit mental every day

So, let's say 3 players pull out of the squad on 6 June.

That'll be 24 players. Leaving Clarke having to call up 2 players with potential no training with them.

It should've been a squad of 36 with 14 days of training.

16 minutes ago, true fan said:

Are Germany a farce for calling up 4 keepers and naming no provisional squad?

We've called up a player to replace Dykes, who was fit.   I'd like to see a player called up to replace Doak but it's hardly some great disaster atm

1 minute ago, SlayerX said:

So, let's say 3 players pull out of the squad on 6 June.

That'll be 24 players. Leaving Clarke having to call up 2 players with potential no training with them.

It should've been a squad of 36 with 14 days of training.

What if 16 players get injured?

Should have been a squad of 48 imo

Posted (edited)

Just looked up a couple of squads. England went with 33 in the provisional squad but France have decided to only take 25!

Still think a couple more, because we have so many injuries, wouldn’t have done us any harm.

Edited by Angry Jim McLean

4 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Yeah. 27.

It's nuanced, though: McTominay, Cooper, Armstrong, Hanley, Adams, Tierney, Souttar, Jack are all carrying knocks/recently recovered.

If all 8 of those players pull out of the squad then the provisional squad is 19.

If that's the scenario then Steve Clarke will have to scramble to call up seven players.

This is potentially a shambles of Steve Clarke's making.

Players like Doig, Johnston, Barron, Conway, Watson, Miller, etc, should've been in the original squad.

Picking 28 players, particularly when a fair amount of those 28 were nursing injuries, was always a disaster waiting to happen.

Wtf are you talking about 8 players pulling out for? 5 of that 8 played yesterday and there's no indication Armstrong or McTominay won't be fit.   

Is the lack of recent game time for some less than ideal,  yes,  but we're not going with 19 fit players. 

Just now, Angry Jim McLean said:

Just looked up a couple of squads. England went with 33 in the provisional squad but France have decided to only take 25!

Still think a couple more, because we have som many injuries, wouldn’t have done us any harm.

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Are Germany a farce for calling up 4 keepers and naming no provisional squad?

We've called up a player to replace Dykes, who was fit.   I'd like to see a player called up to replace Doak but it's hardly some great disaster atm

I do think taking 4 keepers and only 3 strikers would be silly.

3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Wtf are you talking about 8 players pulling out for? 5 of that 8 played yesterday and there's no indication Armstrong or McTominay won't be fit.   

Is the lack of recent game time for some less than ideal,  yes,  but we're not going with 19 fit players. 

if

conjunction     

1.     (introducing a conditional clause) on the condition or supposition that; in the event that.    

"if you have a complaint, write to the director"

I do think we’re a striker light. Adams isn’t 100% fit so could pull up at any time (but looks like our in form striker to me). That would leave Shankland (who hasn’t done enough to convince me yet in a Scotland jersey) and Conway who is completely untested.

I’d still be tempted by Stewart, completely contradicting myself, even if only semi fit… 😬

5 minutes ago, Angry Jim McLean said:

I do think we’re a striker light. Adams isn’t 100% fit so could pull up at any time (but looks like our in form striker to me). That would leave Shankland (who hasn’t done enough to convince me yet in a Scotland jersey) and Conway who is completely untested.

I’d still be tempted by Stewart, completely contradicting myself, even if only semi fit… 😬

But we only ever play 1 CF at a time these days. You can’t take 4 players to play 1 role (4 GKs would also be ridiculous).

I would be open to replacing Doak with a versatile forward who can play on the wing or through the middle if such a player exists.

Only calling up Conway, even though we've lost 2 attacking players doesn't seem enough.

Imo the squad is over stacked with ½ fit centre halves & we shouldn't be taking 4 keepers to the tournament, so we're light up top & another attacker should be within the tournament squad, to give us a chance to chase a goal, or hit on the counter to defend a lead.