Starfield

SweeperDee

47 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

I dread the inevitable mess they are going to make of Fallout 5.

In an ideal world the next game would be done by Obsidian but won't happen as the studio are busy with Outer Worlds 2 & Avowed.

3 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

I was under the impression that this would be Bethesda returning to the form they had a decade ago, I was mistaken after watching play throughs. I mean why spend around £60 without checking it out first. It really looks dated with graphics and amimations that could come from 2014 and there is nothing engaging or interesting about it and so so many loading screens.

Compare to Cyber Punk 2077 and its game mechanics, the quests with added distractions and character back stories, dialogue and interactions, the combat and the open world element, no contest. Starfield has very little depth to it. Even Fallout 4 with all its faults and gliches is far better game as it gets your curiousity to explore and investigate and also other science fiction games like The Outer Worlds and the Mass Effect series are far superior in almost every way. Was it really worth boasting about 1000 planets to visit when 95% of them are empty and have nothing of any interest on them at all. Quantity over quality again.

After the initial good reviews the game had after launch (most of these were probably the advertisers themselves multi spaming ) is now down to the level of mixed on Steam, so Bethesda did a good advertising grifting job to hype it up but as usual it left a lot of people were disappointed. I think a lot of people still want Bethesda to do well for some reason despite the the Fallout 76 debacle and its pay to progress, the way they treated loyalty was a disgrace, they lost a lot of customers. People should realise that the are only interested in taking your money than doing anything different or ground breaking anymore even though they claim so, why do people get taken in by their bullshit?

Nah I'll give it a miss and wait for Death Stranding 2.

I've heard The Planet Crafter is a good game.

Awww poor Todd

I disagree, I found this far more engaging than Cyberpunk, which I got bored of really quickly.

I've really been enjoying Starfield. It is effectively Fallout 5 and I guess you have to get over the graphics and some of the other minor annoyances. I've got into this more and quicker than I did any of the games you mention

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to playing this and as much as I am enjoying it, it reeks of dragonage 2.

Unique places offset by cut and paste side tasks, oh look a mining facility with the exact same lay out as the others. 

Some of the quests are decent, some are tedious. Vendors run out of credits far before I have unloaded half the weighty shite that you pick up / acquire. 

Good ol Bethesda gravity mishaps still about (low grav planet, ignite a booster pack on someone you have just shot and awaaaay they go) 

Hopefully some patches or dlc come down with some more unique set ups, like every cave in oblivion was unique (if the portals were not) skyrim didn't have this much repetitiveness. 

I don't recall it in fallout 3 or 4.

Thought this looked interesting pre-launch because I've been itching for a space exploration epic since I quit Eve Online. Lost a lot of interest after finding out it was single-player, and again when it was described at launch as "a mile wide, but about an inch deep". 

Has it gotten any better?

On 06/02/2024 at 17:05, Boo Khaki said:

Thought this looked interesting pre-launch because I've been itching for a space exploration epic since I quit Eve Online. Lost a lot of interest after finding out it was single-player, and again when it was described at launch as "a mile wide, but about an inch deep". 

Has it gotten any better?

Well, thankfully, it's still single player. 

If you've enjoyed previous Bethesda open world games then chances are you'll enjoy this. There are definitely flaws that need ignored though! 

There's been a few patches but they've mainly been bug fixes and graphic improvements. 

I tried it on release and stopped playing very quickly with a view to checking it out again in several months.

I found it quite boring and the user interface was clunky as all hell. It didn't hit the mark for me and I kept thinking that I'd rather Bethesda had put the effort into another Fallout game.

15 hours ago, Home Truths said:

I tried it on release and stopped playing very quickly with a view to checking it out again in several months.

I found it quite boring and the user interface was clunky as all hell. It didn't hit the mark for me and I kept thinking that I'd rather Bethesda had put the effort into another Fallout game.

I pretty much just treated this as the next fallout game! 

I think that lowered my expectations enough to really enjoy the game. 

There's a really good mod that changes the inventory interface, which makes a massive difference