Thought it would be fun to have a thread for IQ puzzles to solve for the intellectuals among us. Once you have solved a puzzle and it has been confirmed as solved. You can then provide your own puzzle. This can either be a puzzle you've created yourself or one that you have came across in an IQ test or something similar. (Make sure the solution isn't easy to search for online!)

I'll get the ball rolling with this number sequence I came up with.

Replace the question mark with the appropriate value in the following sequence:

1 - 3 - 5 - 9 - ? - 27 - 13

Good luck!

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Name the P&B posters who got into a long running dispute over whether including your IQ on a CV would help or hinder your chances of obtaining employment?

If you get this correct you have at least 146+ IQ.

My bet would be that those with <100 will have argued that it is a hindrance and those with >120 will have argued the opposite. In which case, they would have all been right.

Regardless, i'd like to keep the focus of the thread on the puzzles. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Jim McLean&#x27;s Ghost said:

The answer to this is 20 

:)

StellarHibee I thought you might enjoy this

https://jacklance.github.io/octogram

I had great fun with that, thanks!

greatfun.png

The solution to the clock puzzle is 8:00 or 20:00, as the hour changes follow that of the Fibonacci Sequence. Although I believe that's what you meant by 20. So good job.

3 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

If you think it's B, you'll have to explain your logic in why you think it's B. Then i'll tell you whether that's the correct solution or not.

Hmm.

Last time you just said an explanation was “preferred”. So I decided against.

Any finite-input puzzle with a finite number of multiple-choice options can correctly be answered by any one of those answers (left as an exercise…).

In this case, all of the revealed tiles fall into one of three rotational symmetry groups. Only one of the candidate answers falls into any of those groups. So under that particular criterion, B is “correct”.

2 hours ago, sugna said:

Hmm.

Last time you just said an explanation was “preferred”. So I decided against.

Any finite-input puzzle with a finite number of multiple-choice options can correctly be answered by any one of those answers (left as an exercise…).

In this case, all of the revealed tiles fall into one of three rotational symmetry groups. Only one of the candidate answers falls into any of those groups. So under that particular criterion, B is “correct”.

That's basically just saying "I don't know the solution. They all look random, all of the answers look random. So picking any of the random answers is therefore correct."

No, there's a correct answer and solution and only one of those answers is correct.

1 hour ago, sugna said:

That is incorrect.

See previous post.

You're previous post makes no sense. You can't just decide that whatever answer you choose is the correct one.  There's a reason that one of the answers is correct and the other 5 are not. You made a guess, then you tried to give credibility to your guess using terms like "rotational symmetry groups". Even although this has nothing to do with the puzzle at all.

Once you've figured out the answer, you'll be able to explain logistically how you arrived at that answer by revealing the layers of patterns involved.

3 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

You're previous post makes no sense. You can't just decide that whatever answer you choose is the correct one.  There's a reason that one of the answers is correct and the other 5 are not. You made a guess, then you tried to give credibility to your guess using terms like "rotational symmetry groups". Even although this has nothing to do with the puzzle at all.

Once you've figured out the answer, you'll be able to explain logistically how you arrived at that answer by revealing the layers of patterns involved.

Sorry that my previous post makes no sense. Also, sorry for trying to give it credibility by using the terms that described my reason for choosing that option; I thought that was what you had requested.

I'm not intending to argue with you; I'm just stating a simple, reasonably well-known fact about discrete finite sequences: the next term (and analogues) can be literally anything. That is always the case. It's not at all controversial (and I realize the irony of saying that in reply to your post).

Because we're evolved to recognize patterns, some "next terms" appear to us to be "more correct"; which may mean (and this is a matter of psychology, so I make no representations for it being correct) that we are able to express the relationship between terms in a way that appears to us to be subjectively "simpler". Even that criterion, though, is highly subjective and contextual,

For example, with the following sequence, each of the possible answers can be said to be correct; the one that is considered "actually correct" is a matter of convention and personal preference:

1, 121, 1331, 14641, ...

A. 1

B. 1331

C. 14641

D. 161051

E. 15101051

Depending on context and personal preferences, the perceived "relative correctness" of these will vary. When I was working on RADAR systems, answers A and B would have been contextually more likely than the others (with A slightly shading B).

Note that I'm explicitly not claiming that there isn't an answer that you would personally find more satisfying, or that "IQ context" wouldn't conventionally consider (more) correct. I've no axe to grind with any of that; I just think that the general case is also quite interesting. I don't mind at all if you don't agree.

4 hours ago, sugna said:

Sorry that my previous post makes no sense. Also, sorry for trying to give it credibility by using the terms that described my reason for choosing that option; I thought that was what you had requested.

I'm not intending to argue with you; I'm just stating a simple, reasonably well-known fact about discrete finite sequences: the next term (and analogues) can be literally anything. That is always the case. It's not at all controversial (and I realize the irony of saying that in reply to your post).

Because we're evolved to recognize patterns, some "next terms" appear to us to be "more correct"; which may mean (and this is a matter of psychology, so I make no representations for it being correct) that we are able to express the relationship between terms in a way that appears to us to be subjectively "simpler". Even that criterion, though, is highly subjective and contextual,

For example, with the following sequence, each of the possible answers can be said to be correct; the one that is considered "actually correct" is a matter of convention and personal preference:

1, 121, 1331, 14641, ...

A. 1

B. 1331

C. 14641

D. 161051

E. 15101051

Depending on context and personal preferences, the perceived "relative correctness" of these will vary. When I was working on RADAR systems, answers A and B would have been contextually more likely than the others (with A slightly shading B).

Note that I'm explicitly not claiming that there isn't an answer that you would personally find more satisfying, or that "IQ context" wouldn't conventionally consider (more) correct. I've no axe to grind with any of that; I just think that the general case is also quite interesting. I don't mind at all if you don't agree.

5 of the 6 available answer selections make no relational sense at all. It has nothing to do with preference. 5 of them are quite literally wrong, regardless of how you approach the puzzle. Only one of the available answers can be logistically explained. The answer can't be explained away with a simple term either, there's a step by step process to solving the puzzle which involves peeling back layers. There is no other cleverer or hidden way to solve it with any of the other 5 options.

You can say 1+1 = window. But anybody beyond the age of 3 with even the most basic fundamental understanding of numbers and how they relate mathematically knows that the window answer and explanation is ultimately nonsensical.