3 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The answer is not sheep. The Bot has incorrectly interpreted the clue and given a wrong answer.

Everything in the explanation is wrong.

I want the correct answer

All three explanations or just the last one with the presumed answer?

56 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

All three explanations or just the last one with the presumed answer?

All parts of the explanation are wrong.

The wrong definition, the wrong wordplay. (And I don't think "is" is a valid hidden clue indicator), sheep is not in the letters of among us

The stuff above "Explanation:" is correct. That is how cryptic crosswords work.

6 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

All parts of the explanation are wrong.

The wrong definition, the wrong wordplay. (And I don't think "is" is a valid hidden clue indicator), sheep is not in the letters of among us

The stuff above "Explanation:" is correct. That is how cryptic crosswords work.

Is the "5" indicating the number of words used in the statement or the number of letters that make up the answer? Problem is, there isn't really anything to go on here without some degree of context. I don't even know if i'm looking for the name of an animal or not.

7 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

Is the "5" indicating the number of words used in the statement or the number of letters that make up the answer? Problem is, there isn't really anything to go on here without some degree of context. I don't even know if i'm looking for the name of an animal or not.

5 is the number of letters in the answers. This is just a standard cryptic clue you would get in an everyday newspaper.

Although this clue is very hard imo. It took me quite a while to get it. I just thought it was funny that the computer that has access to huge databases seems to have written its own clue since it and then been unable to give a correct answer and explanation.

On 25/09/2023 at 22:22, sugna said:

If I get a moment, I'll put up my answers and how I got to them*, and you can tell me the ones I misunderstood but fluked.

* I just guessed, as usual.

I'll put the explanation of the cryptic crossword answers up now
I will give the Defintion in bold and then explain the word play

Spoiler

Suspension introduces short term cracks (6) - BANTER - Suspension is a ban, short term means take away the end of term for BAN + TER

Goal threat included in Hib s core r e-shuffle (6) - SCORER - the word scorer is hidden in the clue.

League split contains computer error.  United bitter. (8)  - SPITEFUL - the League is the SPFL, the letters are split up with IT (for computer) E (for Error) and U (for United)

Passing moves result in Away win (3-3) - ONE-TWO - this is a double definition

Puts on RedTV Highlights (4) -  DONS - another double definition

Quiet Heart of Midlothian supporters' chant has inconsistency (4 4) - PLOT HOLE - P (p is quiet in music, piano), heart of midlothian is the central letters of midlothian LOTH, and a supporters chant is OLE.

Big Ange left early. Rodgers initially is no replacement (5) -  LARGE - Put L (for left) before ANGE. R is Rodgers intial and replace the N (for No)

Bizzare goals in Green and White derby (7) - GLASGOW - anagram of goals inside G (for green) and W (for white)

Saints capital vanishes after third of Motherwell defects (6) TAINTS - remove the capital letter of Saints and put it after T which is the third letter of Motherwell

Old Firm start put back. Gone bust? (4) FOLD - OLD with F put back before it

Hide contents

Suspension introduces short term cracks (6) - BANTER - Suspension is a ban, short term means take away the end of term for BAN + TER

Goal threat included in Hib s core r e-shuffle (6) - SCORER - the word scorer is hidden in the clue.

League split contains computer error.  United bitter. (8)  - SPITEFUL - the League is the SPFL, the letters are split up with IT (for computer) E (for Error) and U (for United)

Quiet Heart of Midlothian supporters' chant has inconsistency (4 4) - PLOT HOLE - P (p is quiet in music, piano), heart of midlothian is the central letters of midlothian LOTH, and a supporters chant is OLE.

Big Ange left early. Rodgers initially is no replacement (5) -  LARGE - Put L (for left) before ANGE. R is Rodgers intial and replace the N (for No)

Bizzare goals in Green and White derby (7) - GLASGOW - anagram of goals inside G (for green) and W (for white)

Saints capital vanishes after third of Motherwell defects (6) TAINTS - remove the capital letter of Saints and put it after T which is the third letter of Motherwell

Thanks, and apologies for not getting round to posting my workings as I said I would. They were the same as you list above, of course.

I thought the final definition should be “Go bust”, for tense agreement. Maybe I’ve missed something, though.

Favourite was “LARGE”; easiest was “SCORER”.

On 04/10/2023 at 23:33, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Solve the cryptic clue.

Humble animal is among us (5)

First instinct is LOWLY; but it’s not jumping out at me, and that’s only a partial wordplay.

21 minutes ago, sugna said:

First instinct is LOWLY; but it’s not jumping out at me, and that’s only a partial wordplay.

Not Lowly.

The definition has been described to me as "iffy" "not sure about that" "rough" "I don't think it's completely beyond the pale, but it's definitely a little forced"

The word play makes perfect sense. And I think the synonymousness is just about ok.

On 07/10/2023 at 12:54, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Hide contents

Sorry, but some of these solution's seem way too much of a stretch. 

16 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

Sorry, but some of these solution's seem way too much of a stretch. 

Which ones do you think are a stretch?

Do you do crytpic crosswords? This is pretty much how they work. The clues are out to flummox you. Each clue has a definition, usually at the start or end. Then work out what else is going on. It is sort of mathematical. The word play is like an equation that equals an answer. 

sugna managed to work it out. It is not a skill that everyone has and it is something that has to be learned.

🤨

suffice to say not the right answer

2, 4, 6, 9, 11, 15 , ? , 40

I'll add the number after to see if helps anyone.

A Roman walks into a bar, holds up 2 fingers, and says, “Five pints, please!”

1 minute ago, sugna said:

LI

Too much laughter when the Roman math teacher wrote VL on the slate so they invented rules about which numerals can be subtracted.

Just for completeness the series is numbers composed of exactly 2 Roman numerals

II IV VI IX XI XV XX XL LI LV LX XC CI CV CX CL CC CD DI DV DX DL DC CM MI MV MX ML MC MD MM

2, 4, 6, 9, 11, 15, 20, 40, 51, 55, 60, 90, 101, 105, 110, 150, 200, 400, 501, 505, 510, 550, 600, 900, 1001, 1005, 1010, 1050, 1100, 1500, 2000