Guest DannyBlue
On 05/09/2023 at 07:51, StellarHibee said:

I'm not sure how solvable that crossword is based on the clues, but hopefully somebody can do it. I'll add another IQ puzzle as the crossword doesn't really fall under the IQ puzzle category but can be kept here as a bonus challenge.

Clockz.png

I'm thinking 8:00 because the sequence seems to be that each clock moves forward a number of hours that is the number of the previous two moves added together.

3 minutes ago, DannyBlue said:

I'm thinking 8:00 because the sequence seems to be that each clock moves forward a number of hours that is the number of the previous two moves added together.

Yes, this is how the Fibonacci Sequence works as well: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13..... etc

On 03/09/2023 at 21:32, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Don't know if it fits the IQ test bill but I made a cryptic crossword. I wrote all the clues so if it shite  then that is on me.

Tell me what it should say at the bottom.

cryptic.png.0a89e150747aa6360067ab343df06588.png

Quick question: should the answer to 2 Down definitely be a 5-letter word?

On 03/09/2023 at 21:32, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Don't know if it fits the IQ test bill but I made a cryptic crossword. I wrote all the clues so if it shite  then that is on me.

Tell me what it should say at the bottom.

cryptic.png.0a89e150747aa6360067ab343df06588.png

Thanks, that was fun and very well written.

I'm not sure what the required response to the bit at the bottom is - do you just want the initial letters of the answer, in that order?

Spoiler

SP[H]FLBO[-T]GSTD

Ah. SPFL, bog-standard. Makes sense.

16 minutes ago, sugna said:

Thanks, that was fun and very well written.

I'm not sure what the required response to the bit at the bottom is - do you just want the initial letters of the answer, in that order?

Reveal hidden contents

SP[H]FLBO[-T]GSTD

Ah. SPFL, bog-standard. Makes sense.

Perfect!

There was a bit of crossword-ese and a bit of scottish football knowledge required there.  I was thinking about putting up the answer to this soon since it seemed like no one was going to get it. And I have no idea how many people on P&B are schooled on Cryptic Crosswords since they are a bit of an "Englsih" thing.

45 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Perfect!

There was a bit of crossword-ese and a bit of scottish football knowledge required there.  I was thinking about putting up the answer to this soon since it seemed like no one was going to get it. And I have no idea how many people on P&B are schooled on Cryptic Crosswords since they are a bit of an "Englsih" thing.

My dad does them so I know some of the rules but some of them still make no sense to me. I guess it's an age thing, like sailor being AB or Tar and those words and phrases not being in common usage any more. 

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It is D.

Hide contents

red is doing a rotating thingy

blue shapes are doing a once per row or column thing

blue is on top of red.

Thorough explanation imo

Yes, well done! I'll accept that explanation as it provides enough information to demonstrate that you've understood how you came to the solution.

The position of the blue dots can be determined by looking at the top right to bottom left diagonals. The red dots move around clockwise by 2 spaces in a vertical sequence and the blue dots do indeed take priority over the red dots.
Solution-Combined.png

👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Perfect!

If I get a moment, I'll put up my answers and how I got to them*, and you can tell me the ones I misunderstood but fluked.

* I just guessed, as usual.

On 25/09/2023 at 18:14, Rugster said:

A decent thread idea has descended into an utter bore fest. 

This thread could probably have went on the General Nonsense Forum.

Let's call this forum what it is. A containment zone for Wordle and similar stuff that was fucking up the main forum. Too many threads of no discussion and getting bumped far too often. Obviously Wordle is a lot less popular now so not so much traffic.

I imagine the same reason the top 5 forum was enacted. To stop low effort, non discussion topics, i.e. just people putting lists with no actual debate from vandalising GN.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

Firstly for the few challenges that have been answered I have to say that it makes me feel really stupid when I’ve got no idea what is going on with these puzzles. Maybe I should spend more time brain training and less time on here.

Secondly, is @StellarHibee a schoolteacher because you are giving out massive school teacher controlling vibes here.

On 26/09/2023 at 23:19, Sortmeout said:

Firstly for the few challenges that have been answered I have to say that it makes me feel really stupid when I’ve got no idea what is going on with these puzzles. Maybe I should spend more time brain training and less time on here.

Not at all. Puzzles like these can require a high degree of logical reasoning skills which are generally confined to a low percentile of the population. Those that struggle with these puzzles can potentially learn what kind of patterns to look out for though, but it's not for everybody. It's also important to point out that intelligence is a broad church. For what some people may lack in terms of logistical intelligence, they make up for in other areas such as creativity, social or emotional intelligence. So don't feel stupid if you don't excel at one particular thing, you'll be better than me and others on here at other things.

On 26/09/2023 at 23:19, Sortmeout said:

Secondly, is @StellarHibee a schoolteacher because you are giving out massive school teacher controlling vibes here.

Spoiler

I surely have no idea what you mean.

pink-floyd-the-wall.jpg