Compressing .tiff files with lzw

I'm writing a journal article and the journal requirements are:

"TIFF (.tif) is the recommended file format for line art, greyscale and colour halftone images. TIFF files should be compressed once created, ensuring file sizes are kept to a minimum to aid easy file transfer. When saving as TIFF format, please ensure that LZW compression is applied."

Now, I can make .tif files and I can compress with ZIP - but does anyone know how to compress with LZW?

Cheers

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Got the answer - photoshop, apparently. Installing it now. 

There'll be loads of freeware programs that would do the same too. LZW compression is fucking ancient and free to use.

Just in case anyone's wondering about compressing JPEGs, don't use Photoshop as it produces larger file sizes than necessary, and the image quality is poor (unlike LZW, JPEG compression doesn't produce an exact visual copy of the original, and looks worse depending on how aggressive the compression settings are). There are freeware programs such as Interactive JPEG Optimiser that will produce a better-looking image at smaller sizes (there are likely newer, sexier programs by now, as IJO is pretty old too, but still does a better job than Photoshop).

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There'll be loads of freeware programs that would do the same too. LZW compression is fucking ancient and free to use.

Just in case anyone's wondering about compressing JPEGs, don't use Photoshop as it produces larger file sizes than necessary, and the image quality is poor (unlike LZW, JPEG compression doesn't produce an exact visual copy of the original, and looks worse depending on how aggressive the compression settings are). There are freeware programs such as Interactive JPEG Optimiser that will produce a better-looking image at smaller sizes (there are likely newer, sexier programs by now, as IJO is pretty old too, but still does a better job than Photoshop).

Some journals made their guidelines in the 80s and haven't updated them! I remember one a few years ago requiring me to post them a copy of the paper as well as emailing it. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Some journals made their guidelines in the 80s and haven't updated them! I remember one a few years ago requiring me to post them a copy of the paper as well as emailing it. 

Print it out, take a photo of the printout, scan the printout, upload to the web, and they can download from there.