NXIVM, Love Has Won, Jonestown etc etc

mathematics

Mrs Mathematics and I enjoy a good serial killer documentary like any normal law abiding subject of the land but we also enjoy documentaries about cults. 

Our most recent watch was “Love Has Won”, a three part documentary about another group of fucking nutters in America. Whilst not as good as NXIVM, it is well worth a watch.

15 hours ago, mathematics said:

Mrs Mathematics and I enjoy a good serial killer documentary like any normal law abiding subject of the land but we also enjoy documentaries about cults. 

Our most recent watch was “Love Has Won”, a three part documentary about another group of fucking nutters in America. Whilst not as good as NXIVM, it is well worth a watch.

Listened to an interesting thing about Jim Jones recently - I didn't know much about him personally, just the People's Temple and Jonestown, so it was a decent listen. I'd somehow got the impression that Jones had been trying to do something decent, but it had all gone wrong and he'd lost his mind, but no - turns out he was a c**t right from the off.

Warning: may contain Simon Whistler.

The thing I got from the NXVIM documentaries was that this guy had hundreds of followers and when you listened to what he said, it was just a load of old shite.  I just don't understand how people can read something like

NXIVM embodies a set of consistent and universal principles in which all humans can participate. These principles - apart from any mystical or religious notions - allow for life to persist and uphold a diversity of beliefs. By creating a new understanding, we can actualize our potential to live and work together and consequently bring human existence to a whole new level. Yet this cannot be done without first raising human awareness, fostering an ethical humanitarianism, and celebrating what it truly means to be human - and this is our mission

and not think "what the f**k are you on about Keith".

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The thing I got from the NXVIM documentaries was that this guy had hundreds of followers and when you listened to what he said, it was just a load of old shite.  I just don't understand how people can read something like

and not think "what the f**k are you on about Keith".

Or when the cult leaders are commanding their followers to send them every single penny they have "to help the cause" and are then floating about in a Lamborghini while the followers are eking out a tin of beans to last a week. Surely you'd have to question that pretty early on.