Derek Adams interview

On 17/12/2023 at 11:34, Tony Wonder said:

He's a dick. 

It's also a huge issue with Scottish football that people officially involved want to run it down.

You think it's a throwaway line, but stuff like this bites the league on the arse when things like TV deals are up for negotiation. 

See Jonathan Sutherland. Loves a snidey remark when he's hosting the Friday night championship games if they're a drab spectacle (spoiler: some Champions League, EPL etc. games are also incredibly boring). You absolutely would not get that in coverage of L2 in England. 

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

The evidence of my own eyes. 

This reminds me of a little twat I used to have in my employment who would spend his weekends racing around Inverness in his shite little Fiesta.  Whenever he got pulled, which was often, and the policeman would say to him:

"You were speeding son" he would reply "When were your eyes last calibrated"

The Fiesta was eventually impounded and he's no longer in my employment.

12 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Surely there’s a simple way to look at this is…..

Had County been the beneficiaries of a 90+7 winning goal, rather than the victims, would Adams have come out and made those comments?

Of course we’ll never know the answer to that, but anyone even remotely suggesting he may have done, is surely at it. 

If we can all agree that he wouldn’t have done, then surely we can confidently file this episode as huffy, teenage rant? 

He stood by his assessment of the game days later, so I would say that's what he believes. He might be more careful of the timing of his comments in the future, but I don't think it was a huffy rant. He left himself open to that suggestion by saying it after a last minute goal. 

What I said was from the five games I've witnessed and sometimes it's probably better that I keep my thoughts to myself. From what I've seen in the five games, I stand by it.

Derek Adams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67766604

I listened to what Adam's said and you know what, he's completely correct about the difference in standard between the English game and what you've become accustomed to north of the border and Yes,the current Morecambe side that Derek put together and left, would give atleast half of your SPL a good game.

All this talk of the Old firm joining the premier league would be a complete non starter, because neither of them would be competitive there, they'd get battered every other week.

Maybe the championship at best and many sides in that league would be a tough challenge for them

There are bigger clubs in our non league than Ross county and co,

In fairness to Adam's, he's been there, done it and seen both sides, something those 3 having a go at him haven't.

I hope he gets a response and his player's up their game, for he'd know if they weren't pulling their weight and if not, they usually end up out of the team.

Fair play to the guy for his honesty, I much prefer someone who says it as it is!

29 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

At least Holocaust deniers, flat earths, conspiracy nuts etc are very direct in what they are seeing eh?

Yes, If that's what they believe and are honest and straightforward about their view then I definitely respect that. Some beliefs I won't agree with, some I will. Derek Adams calling Scottish Football crap is not one I have a strong opinion on - it doesn't get my back up, but I like the way he was direct about it.

I've not made comments about what league is better or if it's even worth discussing. Others obviously do and they've had their say on it. For me it's more about that honesty. Fair enough?

Edited by 2426255

57 minutes ago, on the bonnie bonnie banks said:

I listened to what Adam's said and you know what, he's completely correct about the difference in standard between the English game and what you've become accustomed to north of the border and Yes,the current Morecambe side that Derek put together and left, would give atleast half of your SPL a good game.

All this talk of the Old firm joining the premier league would be a complete non starter, because neither of them would be competitive there, they'd get battered every other week.

Maybe the championship at best and many sides in that league would be a tough challenge for them

In fairness to Adam's, he's been there, done it and seen both sides, something those 3 having a go at him haven't.

I hope he gets a response and his player's up their game, for he'd know if they weren't pulling their weight and if not, they usually end up out of the team.

Fair play to the guy for his honesty, I much prefer someone who says it as it is!

Check out the “New Guy” ⬆️

🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

He stood by his assessment of the game days later, so I would say that's what he believes. He might be more careful of the timing of his comments in the future, but I don't think it was a huffy rant. He left himself open to that suggestion by saying it after a last minute goal. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67766604

Just to be clear, I’m not sure he did “stand by his comments”. He backtracked to saying “the 5 games he’d been involved in”. 
Saying that 5 games his team has played in were shite, is not the same as saying the standard of Scottish football is shite. 
He’s shat his pants good and proper. 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just to be clear, I’m not sure he did “stand by his comments”. He backtracked to saying “the 5 games he’d been involved in”. 
Saying that 5 games his team has played in were shite, is not the same as saying the standard of Scottish football is shite. 
He’s shat his pants good and proper. 

He said that in the original interview. It was the 5 games he had managed that informed his opinion. That wasn't added in after the fact in his follow up interview.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, on the bonnie bonnie banks said:

Troll meet troll 👍

55 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yes, If that's what they believe and are honest and straightforward about their view then I definitely respect that. Some beliefs I won't agree with, some I will. Derek Adams calling Scottish Football crap is not one I have a strong opinion on - it doesn't get my back up, but I like the way he was direct about it.

I've not made comments about what league is better or if it's even worth discussing. Others obviously do and they've had their say on it. For me it's more about that honesty. Fair enough?

20 minutes ago, on the bonnie bonnie banks said:

Derek has a point and maybe he's made it his mission to take the current standard from rubbish to what he's just left.

I think that's where he was coming from in the original interview. I think it's healthy to have a guy come in and drive standards. Adams probably will look to do that more for Ross County and less for Scottish Football as a whole. People are going to take his views as an insult, that's probably human nature unfortunately.  

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think that's where he was coming from in the original interview. I think it's healthy to have a guy come in and drive standards. People are going to take his views as an insult, that's probably human nature unfortunately.  

Derek knows Ross county inside out and after having to clean up the almighty mess bullshitter left him at Morecambe, I'm 100% certain he'll make all the necessary changes he sees fit, in order they improve beyond recognition.

Some will be shown the door, others will be froze out if they don't perform, ill discipline will see them lose their place in the team, until he sees fit they return.

A proper manager who like Ross county, took a small town club to places they hadn't even dreamed of,

Won't ever be forgotten for what he achieved with the lowest budget ever given him.

4 minutes ago, on the bonnie bonnie banks said:

Derek knows Ross county inside out and after having to clean up the almighty mess bullshitter left him at Morecambe, I'm 100% certain he'll make all the necessary changes he sees fit, in order they improve beyond recognition.

Some will be shown the door, others will be froze out if they don't perform, ill discipline will see them lose their place in the team, until he sees fit they return.

A proper manager who like Ross county, took a small town club to places they hadn't even dreamed of,

Won't ever be forgotten for what he achieved with the lowest budget ever given him.

I hope he does well. I'm not a Ross County fan, but will keep an eye out for how they do.

On 19/12/2023 at 01:14, SH Panda said:

Odd post during our national teams strongest run in decades.

But if people want to compare us to English football, it's like Switzerland being devastated their army isn't as strong as the USA, and their GDP isn't as high as Chinas

Do people not understand proportionality at all? Of all the nations you could compare us to England is one of the least relevant.

Look to any other home nation, and any Scandinavian nation before you compare us to England.

If you keep comparing yourself to England you will always unnecessarily put yourself down, they are more than 11x our size FFS. Our proportional population figures beat theirs easily.

And if you don't believe in proportionality - great news, Scotland is far richer than Dubai*, Brunei and Monaco combined. What's everyone going to do with their money? Imma buy a yacht.

Sadly we are complete paupers compared to economic powerhouses like Pakistan, Indonesia or Nigeria but let's stay glass half full on this.

*Google figure seems low and they are surely fudging it. The rest I'm confident of.

The national team are doing well but that's because they are a good team rather than great individuals. Some decent players for sure but compare them to the greats from the 70's, 80's and even 90's and nobody could argue they're anywhere near in that class. Every top English side had 2 or 3 Scottish players in their team and they were major players not bit part.

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It is I who said he admitted to making a miss-step, those were my euphemistic words. He said this if you prefer a direct quote. Shot of grovelling he has accepted he was wrong so I think that's fair enough.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/6296845/ross-county-derek-adams-sorry-after-outburst/

At least Adams has effectively acknowledged he lost his composure*.  Question remains how he deals with his players if and when they lose their composure. 

* I can’t see any other reason for him saying it and then feeling he has to subsequently apologise to the players. 

2 hours ago, on the bonnie bonnie banks said:

This. ⬆️

He more or less said Scottish Football is dog muck and he's spot on.