‘B’ International

MarkoP

These used to be a thing

Is it a worthwhile idea for the spring given we’ve such a small window to trial or test any left field options who might enhance our options for Euro24 and the upcoming A League of the Nations League 

*Derek McInnes touting Danny Armstrong who’s clearly not on the radar for a final 23 man squad made me think about this.

Do these B internationals even happen anywhere anymore?

Can’t remember the last Scotland one

Not been one of these since 2009. Tbh, I think they are a good idea but think that ship has long since sailed. Managers don't want their players to play anymore games, unless it's in Saudi and makes a wedge obviously

Scotland B haven't played since May 2009 and it was a disaster beset by call-offs. Last real 'success' was the Future Cup games under Vogts from 2002 to 2006... otherwise they were only ever ad hoc, occasionally alongside full internationals.

Move to international windows and double-headers only has finished the concept.

England B haven't played since 2007; Eire since 2008; etc.

img582.thumb.jpg.b30e6464dc180780dedd287

img503.thumb.jpg.2d721f334b02c8f3f41285c

Edited by HibeeJibee

I still think there could be merit in it but cant see the clubs allowing it and they pay the wages

If your 29 playing in English championship for most off your career and you have never been considered by 4 or 5 different managers then your probably never getting a shout

What would a B team look like anyway a mixture off those kind off players mixed with our U21 players?

7 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We had Scotland v Scottish League as well in the 90s I think? Theo Snelders and Istvan Kozma were in the SFL Team I seem to recall. Possibly Tommy Coyne and/or Owen Coyle?

Saturday 18th August 1990
Scottish Football League Centenary Match
at Hampden Park, Glasgow     15,085
Scottish League 1-0 Scotland
(Gillhaus)

scotland-1990.jpg

14068469_10155071606188998_1185179959784

image.png.208d2f64cb66287b00cf3b1626f96d73.png     image.png.ad1182dc8f810da7b490ce653ed3d974.png

067_324__sfl1990_1471522619_standard.jpg

scotland-90-cent_2.jpg

extra_football_shirt_10169_1.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

48 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Scotland V Scotland B in any international break, then you'd see who's capable up against who is not. Make it compulsory for the first team squad with repercussions if they do not appear. 

It's easy if you want it to be 

What if one of our stick on first picks gets injured

Would I be to blame?😳

2 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

It would be a bit of an insult to someone like Armstrong, who's one of the best players in the league and can't be a million miles off a friendly callup for the actual squad. 

I could see Clarke being a bit experimental vs someone like Northern Ireland. 

I couldn't Clarke already said he only wants one or two new guys each squad as the teams got a club mentality feel around it,absolutely no way he is calling up Fulton Dembele Lindsay Rose as examples just for sake off it cos there playing every week in the championship to be fair he could put together a decent stregthed B side

2 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

It would be a bit of an insult to someone like Armstrong, who's one of the best players in the league and can't be a million miles off a friendly callup for the actual squad. 

I could see Clarke being a bit experimental vs someone like Northern Ireland. 

An insult? To a player who has never been near a cap? Dont be ridiculous. We're not having B internationals any time soon but if we did Armstrong's exactly the sort of player who would feature in one.

Given the Scotland side doesnt really play with wingers I'm not convinced he's all that near anyway. Depending on how Clarke sees their relationship now he's probably still behind Ryan Fraser. And if Harvey Barnes declared for us.....

I dont think there's any chance of Clarke 'being a bit experimental'.

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

It would be nice to see some left field options getting some game time.

Also another g.k. , Josh Doig , a fit RFB , Lewis Ferguson starting , L*wr*nc* Sh*nkl*nd starting

The Scotland team is in better nick than it has been in about 2-3 decades. Its generally young with nobody, Gordon apart, edging towards the exit door imminently. Clarke is fostering a team spirit and hasnt changed a whole lot unforced in the last couple of years (the failed Anderson experiment being the exception and it blew up in his face). There's not going to be much 'left field', nor should there be.

If Shankland keeps up his present run he'll play his way into the squad, though be surprised if he starts. Ferguson might get a friendly start, certainly if any call offs from the regular midfield, he's served his apprenticeship dutifully under Clarke and he's unlucky we're so strong in his position. Likewise Doig, but he's not getting in pre Euros I doubt. Nor is there any GK battering the door down obviously better than what we have. The big question us who will be in Hearts goal by then and, will the other one look for a loan to protect their place with Scotland. 

Gauld would be in the B team another guy who is decent but hasn't been capped yet still think we could out a strong B team and play the A team and make it worthwhile but clubs unfortunately will never wear the idea 

Laidlaw would probably be there goalie cos there isn't to many around that get game time

To be fair Liam Lindsay must look at Jack Hendry and think jammy b*****d 

And that isn't just about the big mans Mrs

Andy Irvine doing well on loan in Austria on loan from West Ham they sent him back

I think he is another midfielder with genuine potential that flies under most people's radar

Edited by General dissaray