Greenock Morton v Heart of Midlothian

1 hour ago, GMFC89 said:

Have to disagree here. The Hearts boy picks the ball up and powers past all our midfielders and drops the ball to Shankland who has nobody within miles of him because Broadfoot has tried to step into the middle of the park. Absolutely not Robbie’s fault. For me the big fella put in a shift tonight and was clearly carrying an injury towards the end. Hopefully he’s just done in and it’s nothing more or we’ll be starting with one of Garrity, Crawford, Bearne or McGrattan through the middle on Saturday which is equally a massive game as tonight was in terms of the season. 

Yea someone should have blootered him but we never we lost we tried, and we fking gave our all , I'm proud as fk , we could have been in a bottom of the leugue battle,  and for expectations of the Motherwell game well  if they had pumped us etc no one would really argue and also hearts have every right to maybe put 4 or  More more past is but the reality is we're in a play off position with nine games to go and we gave hearts a run for their money and I'm fking proud of that , to pick up on errors of the magnitude that people on here describe like blaming Robbie ffsake away with yerself man get a grip be proud 

Edited by montheton11

Not the best of games, but I enjoyed it. First half was pretty blood and thunder for the first 20 or so, and then I felt like we got a bit control without doing too much with it.

Second half Morton started well but we got on top pretty quickly.

All in all I think Morton showed up really well, certainly no worse than some Premiership teams but they lacked quality in the final third. For a lot of huffing and puffing they only really created one good chance and Gordon done what he does.

From an attacking point of view we never created enough, but we still had 4 or 5 big chances. 

On the balance of play the better team won, but Morton gave a good account of themselves. 

Loved Cappielow as well, a bit of a throwback.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening. Brilliant to be back at the ground of a terrific Scottish football club, though I swear to God that away end is exactly how I remember it being as an 8 year old, at Sandy Clark's debut in October 1984! 😂  The 'toilets' are quite something! Antiquated isn't the word but it was tremendous and it's what makes football special. Funny to think that in a couple of months I'll be at the Allianz for the Euro's opener, a some what different setting, but tonight I thought Morton did themselves proud.

Made it tricky for us throughout, kept to a game plan on a pretty ropey pitch which obviously helped them and showed a lot of dig and discipline despite clearly being stretched players wise. The boys throw in was ridiculous and when you can put it in the mixer from anywhere in the opposition's half you just never know. Whilst I never felt uncomfortable some of our glaring misses in the 2nd half meant it looked like ET might be on the cards but in the end our quality was just too much and we eventually finished one off. What I would say is nobody will fancy Cappielow in a play off and they are capable of beating a bottom 6 club, as proven already. Good luck to the Ton for the rest of the season.

By the way those roadworks going back through Glasgow. WTF 🤬

Edited by Hendricks

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Muirhead incensed me and all the boys I stand with.  He sold the jerseys for that goal and put in a pitiful performance when we needed him to step up to the plate.  Why VT has red dotted you I've no idea.

Oh yeah the man never tried a jot ffsake clown he bust his ass same as everyone we played a team who is third best team in Scotland and you think he gave no fks well pep over to you 

I must say blaming Muirhead for the goal seems mental. He maybe gave it away cheaply, but it wasn't far from the Hearts box. He's entitled to think losing it there should see some other team mates cover him.

3 hours ago, montheton11 said:

Yea someone should have blootered him but we never we lost we tried, and we fking gave our all , I'm proud as fk , we could have been in a bottom of the leugue battle,  and for expectations of the Motherwell game well  if they had pumped us etc no one would really argue and also hearts have every right to maybe put 4 or  More more past is but the reality is we're in a play off position with nine games to go and we gave hearts a run for their money and I'm fking proud of that , to pick up on errors of the magnitude that people on here describe like blaming Robbie ffsake away with yerself man get a grip be proud 

Have you lost the full stop key on your device. Wow. 
PS I thought you were gantin 

6 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Muirhead incensed me and all the boys I stand with.  He sold the jerseys for that goal and put in a pitiful performance when we needed him to step up to the plate.  Why VT has red dotted you I've no idea.

Incensed is harsh given he worked his arse off all night against Premier league defenders.

He could have done a better job if protecting the ball however I'd say the midfield was more culpable. The Hearts player strode through our midfield and power who again had a great game just stopped. Seemed like a moment of madness. Shankland being allowed time and space in the box before the ball fell to vargas was also poor. 

Frustrating set of events for the goal. 

Was a great atmosphere & that's as packed as I think I've ever seen Cappielow.

We did well, but just before they scored I said that we'd totally ran out of steam.

Calling Shankland a w****r was just asking for him to reply with a goal so I wished they'd stfu.

Didn't score, but got the assist.

Step too far for us unfortunately. Mon eh Ton.

9 hours ago, LargsTON said:

There was a moment in the first half when he was through at the corner of the box and elected to sky it rather than fo anything useful 

9 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

First half was keech. Thought we came out well in the second half and rattled Hearts but they were the only team likely to score in the last 15. Thought the big centre half for them looked silky and Power worked his arse off. Shankland might be a w****r but he'll be getting my full support in Germany.  Always good to see cappielow rocking on a cold winters night .

I assume you mean Sibbick, or do you mean Rowles?

8 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Yes Sibbick (checked Google)reminded me of Brian Reid back in the day the way he strolled about.

He's only an inch taller than Rowles

Then again if you'd written "the black centre half"  instead of "the big centre half" it would have been less ambiguous but far more awkward

So it's probably for the best

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

So the last team able to prevent hearts from group stage football is Aberdeen. 

I’ll be honest, given a choice I don’t think Aberdeen would be in my top 10 teams to hand that responsibility to. 

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

There was a moment in the first half when he was through at the corner of the box and elected to sky it rather than fo anything useful 

He's always infuriated me.   Maybe it'll never be his game but he never shows any aggression or willingness to go in where it hurts and all too often he's simply brushed off the ball which is why nothing stuck up front last night and in a game against Hearts you can't carry passengers.  As I say maybe I'm being overly critical but we needed more from him in the absence of Oakley.

Edited by LargsTON

56 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

He's always infuriated me.   Maybe it'll never be his game but he never shows any aggression or willingness to go in where it hurts and all too often he's simply brushed off the ball which is why nothing stuck up front last night and in a game against Hearts you can't carry passengers.  As I say maybe I'm being overly critical but we needed more from him in the absence of Oakley.

At the same time, you can't expect a player who is not Oakley and who doesn't play like Oakley, to suddenly start being Oakley.

Been a while since I've been to Cappielow (quick check - about forty years in fact), but I have to say that was a great night.

Football was only so-so (Morton are no worse on that showing than several teams I've seen us play in the Premiership this year) but the atmosphere was brilliant - Morton fans did their team proud last night. 

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

He's only an inch taller than Rowles

Then again if you'd written "the black centre half"  instead of "the big centre half" it would have been less ambiguous but far more awkward

So it's probably for the best

TBF, silky is definitely Sibbick. Rowles is more like sandpaper