Change the Scottish Cup format

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2024 at 22:20, Caledonian1 said:

I would like to see the Scottish cup opened up to Amateur and Sunday Welfare.....possibly summer league teams too.  To accommodate this I would have the first round in January the year before the final.

I agree open up to all clubs though I'd not allow reserve teams. But not starting prior Jan as wouldn't  yet know who'd be in what division for byes etc. Also, Jan a silly time to start for clubs normally playing summer and pitches likely frozen. Aug well sufficient as  England manage this with far more clubs than Scotland will have.

20 minutes ago, Gladstone said:

I agree open up to all clubs though I'd not allow reserve teams. But not starting prior Jan as wouldn't  yet know who'd be in what division for byes etc. Also, Jan a silly time to start for clubs normally playing summer and pitches likely frozen. Aug well sufficient as  England manage this with far more clubs than Scotland will have.

You're new here.....that one went completely over your head.

In fact, I've had a rethink and perhaps the first round should commence three years prior to the final to allow time for all the matches

On 12/02/2024 at 17:56, Chippyminton said:

Great idea. Whilst we're at it, we should just make Celtic or Sevco default champions and have the rest of the Premiership coming in as joint bottom.

Isn't that what already happens ?

22 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

You're new here.....that one went completely over your head.

In fact, I've had a rethink and perhaps the first round should commence three years prior to the final to allow time for all the matches

England and other countries .manage all in one season with  far more competing clubs than Scotland would have even down to  Tier 8 +  amateurs etc.  Ehgland start August, have 2 preliminary rounds, four qualifying rounds, six rounds proper + semifinals and final. So fourteen total Scotland would need nowhere near this.

Celtic - Rangers always drawn together in first round. Same for League Cup while we're at it. Therefore no more bigot Cup Finals , opens up draw for non establishment clubs, and allows League to scrap the four times a season nonsense by guaranteeing four Old Firm fixtures which apparently Scottish football cannot survive without. 

On 22/05/2024 at 14:05, bobbydazzler said:

all in. right from the start. no seeding.

With 131 teams eligible via licencees or qualifying this season this format would remove 1 round from the main competition and 1 from the preliminary rounds.

Premier Sports would still show Celtic or Rangers v Dundee North End or Tayport as their 2 picks of the first round.

'Celtic/Rangers showed real character to come back from that Carnoustie Panmure opener, Kenny...'

'Yes, a big, big result for ra Sellick/ra Berrz, Pat/Rory.'

All in from the first round in July.  

Only Scottish players can play. 

Mascots must be included in the match day squad.  

Ceremonial burning of the union jack before all matches.  

Rangers and Celtic first teams get a bye to the final but must field a team made up of season ticket holders in earlier rounds. 

Monday night games banned. 

23 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Personally I really like the DFB Pokal format, but I don't know how workable that would be here.

It would not work: the DFB Pokal only allows 64 clubs total: even more restrictive than Scotland.  No club below tier 3 and only four even of those get in automatically: remainder go to wnners of 21 regional cups+ 3 wild  Scotland does not  have  nor needs  that sort of regioonal structure.