Flying Wasps v Faltering Cove

Convincing win for the Wasps after what sounded like a first half which we edged without putting the ball in the net.

Second half belonged to the home side who punished our defensive frailties which have been all to evident the last 2 months. 

Wasps are flying now. Definitely got some momentum for a couple of tricky fixtures upcoming.

We drop out the playoff spots and need to start the chase. Plenty of time to do that but some degree of solidarity must return to the backline to get back to winning ways.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

A couple of thoughts having watched the highlights.

I think the red card is worth appealing. Not sure it will be changed to yellow, but think it might be. On first viewing it looks like a dangerous lunge and a red, but it's not as bad when looked at more closely.

I've listened to a few of Hartley's post match interviews recently including yesterday's and he seems very subdued. Understandable given results, but I'd still expect more spark and positivity from him.

An excellent second half performance on Saturday after a really poor first 45 minutes when Cove had looked the much stronger team.

Some really good performances, Taylor Steven was immense and thought PJ, Neil and Virtanen were all good as well. Fair play to Virtanen he has improved game after game and personally I would start him over Hetherington even when he is fit.

10 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

An excellent second half performance on Saturday after a really poor first 45 minutes when Cove had looked the much stronger team.

Some really good performances, Taylor Steven was immense and thought PJ, Neil and Virtanen were all good as well. Fair play to Virtanen he has improved game after game and personally I would start him over Hetherington even when he is fit.

I thought Miko was really good again too. Second game in a row he's come off at the end with skinned knees after all his tackles! Deserves great credit for waiting for his chance and then taking it. I'd be hopeful there is even more to come from him too. And Roberts was busy as ever, someone who has already taken his chance so well. As a pair they bring loads of dig and drive.

The issue remains that we do lack someone to put their foot on the ball in the middle and take control when those two play in this shape. That was key to Cove dominating us in midfield in the first half. We were lucky to still be goalless before going ahead then quickly found ourselves two up early second half very much against the run of play. That won't happen every week, in the same way we wouldn't always get away with below par performances like we did against Stirling and Annan. Balance clearly hasn't been quite right since Stevie got injured, even though there have been loads of other positives in the team in that period. 

Something for Andy to think about anyway and he's clearly across it given his post match comments after all of these games. Perhaps a slight change of shape if it's felt Miko and Roberts have to stay in and get someone else in with them, or perhaps as confidence grows we'll see those two developing further and showing they can slow things down. It will need addressed in some way though because as it stands better teams will take advantage.  I'm pretty sure Stevie will come back in when he's ready. 

Edited by Waspie