History Books

7 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm keen to read more about the Eastern Front in WW1 but there's very little out there. In English at least.

I tried reading Norman Stone's book about it, but it was quite dry and I gave up pretty quickly.

Alexander Watson's Ring of Steel and his following book about a siege in a Polish city, that I'm not going to attempt to spell, were both excellent.

Nick Lloyd has an Eastern Front book out soon, that I've pre-ordered. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Eastern Front WW1 books?

A guy called prit butter has a a ww1 eastern front series,year by year

3 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yeah, I've read both of them. I did enjoy reading them but I believe serious historians look down their noses at Antony Beevor. His books are very readable but they do verge on sensationalism at times.

I was actually referring to the First World War in my post above though. Its hard to find much about it anywhere. I could be way off the mark here, but I've always suspected that most of the soldiers in the Russian army, possibly the Austro-Hungarian Army too, were illiterate so there isn't many diaries or other source material that authors would use to research a book. Like I say, I could be well off the mark there but the fact remains that there's not many English language books about the Eastern Front in WW1.

I think one of the problems was the russian&austro-hungarian empires ceasing to exist at its end,leaving chaos in it's wake so there were no official histories&people had more important things to do to survive than write memoirs;I've been to the hard to spell/pronounce polish city,(pryszmsyl is my stab at it today),given what an important battle it was especially for A-H,it's remarkable how little memorial there is there for their tens of thousands of casualties at that place,again signifying that for it's former citizens in 1918 there was more pressing business

On 03/03/2024 at 01:35, virginton said:

The 'tyranny' invoked in this Covenanter propaganda being the possibility of a vile Papist being king as opposed to a appropriately staunch overlord that they could duly boot-lick right until the present day. 

Of all the fascinating episodes in Scottish, British Isles (read Norman Davies' The Isles for that btw) or European/world history, the Covenanters would be at the bottom of the pile IMO. 

^^^^^

Big team found lol