History Books

I'm too lazy to see if there's a thread for this. I think Pep started one ages ago, but Cannae mind.

Anyhow. I'm really wanting to learn more about the Covenanters. What books have you lot read about them and which would you recommend?

Also this thread could just be used for talking about cool history books you read.

7 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm too lazy to see if there's a thread for this. I think Pep started one ages ago, but Cannae mind.

Anyhow. I'm really wanting to learn more about the Covenanters. What books have you lot read about them and which would you recommend?

Also this thread could just be used for talking about cool history books you read.

J k Hewison produced a weighty piece on the period, worth a look but heavy going.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer is very good.

A good depiction of life in the trenches is With a machine gun to Cambrai by George Coppard.

If anyone prefers their history with a tinge of drama and a bit of fiction thrown in the works of Conn Iggulden are enjoyable.

And if you go out walking I heartily recommend the rest is history podcast. 

This isn't a bad one from my uni days if you fancy the french revolution.

IMG_20240302_071558.thumb.jpg.b603c8c03f1211285ecca7fd03a9d880.jpg

I've cunningly hidden my mills and boon collection.

Enjoy, history is simply a magnificent subject.

Edited by Aubrey Maturin

Richard J Evans "The Coming of the Third Reich" and "The Third Reich in Power" are very good reads. I've not read the 3rd in the trilogy "Third Reich at war" but the first book was a vital resource when I was doing advanced higher history.

Read A People's History of Scotland by Chris Banbury recently. Pretty decent, takes a more left wing, working class look at Scottish history. A bit about the Covenanters in here.

Although many will have read it, I'll always give Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee a shout in these types of thread.

Not really sure of it counts as a history book, per se, but i can thoroughly recommend Business Secrets of the Pharaohs by Mark Corrigan.

Speaking of the Covenanters, one of my pretty direct ancestors was one and ended up shot in front of his family for refusing to say God Save the King. The attached image is his epitaph. There's also a somewhat famous painting of the incident.

John Brown Epitaph.jpg

If you're interested in naval history, Steel's 'Jutland 1916, Death in the Grey Wastes' is well worth checking out.  It made the major movements of the battle a lot clearer for me but also had fantastic participants' commentary.

Best naval history I've read in over 40 years of study.

In terms of other history books "the '45" by Christopher Duffy is good but very long; my all time favourite history book is "Water Power in Scotland", again good but long; "London Under" is interesting too but quite short. 

"McRaes battalion" is a book I would recommend for anyone interested in how ww1 impacted Scottish football.

Most of the Hearts team ( league leaders at the time) enlisted in the battalion in 1914, along with players from Hibs, Dunfermline, Raith etc.

Unsurprisingly the battalion became the British army football champs.......

........And then they were sent to the front.

A fascinating (and pretty harrowing) history.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not really sure of it counts as a history book, per se, but i can thoroughly recommend Business Secrets of the Pharaohs by Mark Corrigan.

Speaking of the Covenanters, one of my pretty direct ancestors was one and ended up shot in front of his family for refusing to say God Save the King. The attached image is his epitaph. There's also a somewhat famous painting of the incident.

John Brown Epitaph.jpg

The 'tyranny' invoked in this Covenanter propaganda being the possibility of a vile Papist being king as opposed to a appropriately staunch overlord that they could duly boot-lick right until the present day. 

Of all the fascinating episodes in Scottish, British Isles (read Norman Davies' The Isles for that btw) or European/world history, the Covenanters would be at the bottom of the pile IMO. 

19 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Richard J Evans "The Coming of the Third Reich" and "The Third Reich in Power" are very good reads. I've not read the 3rd in the trilogy "Third Reich at war" but the first book was a vital resource when I was doing advanced higher history.

If you're going down the RJE rabbit hole then "The Third Reich in History and Memory" is a good one to check out. Some interesting essays in there.

I'm keen to read more about the Eastern Front in WW1 but there's very little out there. In English at least.

I tried reading Norman Stone's book about it, but it was quite dry and I gave up pretty quickly.

Alexander Watson's Ring of Steel and his following book about a siege in a Polish city, that I'm not going to attempt to spell, were both excellent.

Nick Lloyd has an Eastern Front book out soon, that I've pre-ordered. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Eastern Front WW1 books?

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm keen to read more about the Eastern Front in WW1 but there's very little out there. In English at least.

I tried reading Norman Stone's book about it, but it was quite dry and I gave up pretty quickly.

Alexander Watson's Ring of Steel and his following book about a siege in a Polish city, that I'm not going to attempt to spell, were both excellent.

Nick Lloyd has an Eastern Front book out soon, that I've pre-ordered. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Eastern Front WW1 books?

Antony Beevor’s books are very readable, I've read Stalingrad and Berlin - The Downfall. No idea how respected they are by historians.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Antony Beevor’s books are very readable, I've read Stalingrad and Berlin - The Downfall. No idea how respected they are by historians.

Yeah, I've read both of them. I did enjoy reading them but I believe serious historians look down their noses at Antony Beevor. His books are very readable but they do verge on sensationalism at times.

I was actually referring to the First World War in my post above though. Its hard to find much about it anywhere. I could be way off the mark here, but I've always suspected that most of the soldiers in the Russian army, possibly the Austro-Hungarian Army too, were illiterate so there isn't many diaries or other source material that authors would use to research a book. Like I say, I could be well off the mark there but the fact remains that there's not many English language books about the Eastern Front in WW1.

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yeah, I've read both of them. I did enjoy reading them but I believe serious historians look down their noses at Antony Beevor. His books are very readable but they do verge on sensationalism at times.

I was actually referring to the First World War in my post above though. Its hard to find much about it anywhere. I could be way off the mark here, but I've always suspected that most of the soldiers in the Russian army, possibly the Austro-Hungarian Army too, were illiterate so there isn't many diaries or other source material that authors would use to research a book. Like I say, I could be well off the mark there but the fact remains that there's not many English language books about the Eastern Front in WW1.

You try writing a diary when you live in a hollowed out dead horse.

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Whoops. Couple of pointers here apart from the purely fictional ones.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/08/05/eastern-front-also-produced-great-wwi-prose-a38036