Passport Application

Have a US trip coming up in April and while my passport ran to August and US rules are that the passport just needs to be valid for the period of your visit rather for 6 months from the end of your trip decided to renew it.

Did the online renewal on Feb 23rd and sent the old passport off the same day - had confirmation passport was approved on the 28th and delivery scheduled for March 1st.

Thought might be of interest to anyone thinking of renewing - difficult to see how the turnaround could be quicker.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Have a US trip coming up in April and while my passport ran to August and US rules are that the passport just needs to be valid for the period of your visit rather for 6 months from the end of your trip decided to renew it.

Did the online renewal on Feb 23rd and sent the old passport off the same day - had confirmation passport was approved on the 28th and delivery scheduled for March 1st.

Thought might be of interest to anyone thinking of renewing - difficult to see how the turnaround could be quicker.

Well I applied online for a passport last Monday evening (26th Feb) sent off my old one second class on Tuesday and received my new passport in the post yesterday morning at 7.55am (1st March)  So there you go the turnaround was quicker.........

Must admit I was expecting a few weeks and was starting to think that if I didnt do anything soon enough i would be looking to engage one of the Channel  small boat operators to get me into Europe in time for Germany v Scotland on June 14th

4 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well I applied online for a passport last Monday evening (26th Feb) sent off my old one second class on Tuesday and received my new passport in the post yesterday morning at 7.55am (1st March)  So there you go the turnaround was quicker.........

Must admit I was expecting a few weeks and was starting to think that if I didnt do anything soon enough i would be looking to engage one of the Channel  small boat operators to get me into Europe in time for Germany v Scotland on June 14th

Nice one! That’s a quite unbelievable turnaround especially when you factor two postal deliveries into the equation.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

I was listening to the Private Eye podcast the other day (I know, I know) and they said that one of the few things that the Home Office has got right recently was this.

Maybe the Tories deserve to get 2% of the votes in the next election, rather than 1%.

I applied to renew vis the Post Office on the 20th Jan, 9 days later I received a text & email to say they had received my old passport @ 09:13

last night and tonight at roughly 19:30 I get texts & emails to say my photo (taken by PO staff) doesn't meet their required standard, OK mate, I'll go back to the PO on Monday and get them to sort it.

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

my photo (taken by PO staff) doesn't meet their required standard, OK mate, I'll go back to the PO on Monday and get them to sort it.

I think part of the benefit of online renewal is your photo is AI checked initially and then manually confirmed within a day or so, therefore you avoid this scenario.  

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think part of the benefit of online renewal is your photo is AI checked initially and then manually confirmed within a day or so, therefore you avoid this scenario.  

You would think that getting an official photo taken by the Post Office on the Passport Office tablet would be secure and reliable.

On 03/03/2024 at 05:28, parsforlife said:

Maybe it's changed but when I did my application online 2 years back the photo was checked instantly but there was a rider which said that the submitted photo was likely to be acceptable - I don't recall getting any further update before my passport was sent.  But, aye, the online application is probably the way to go. 

On 02/03/2024 at 21:33, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You would think that getting an official photo taken by the Post Office on the Passport Office tablet would be secure and reliable.

Went back to the PO on Monday, received a text/email Tuesday saying application approved.

Received a text from Royal Mail today saying passport will be delivered tomorrow (Thursday).

On 02/03/2024 at 15:28, parsforlife said:

On 04/03/2024 at 00:22, hk blues said:

Maybe it's changed but when I did my application online 2 years back the photo was checked instantly but there was a rider which said that the submitted photo was likely to be acceptable - I don't recall getting any further update before my passport was sent.  But, aye, the online application is probably the way to go. 

The online submission was great for that. We took about a half dozen shots and submitted what we thought was the best. The AI kicked it back, background issue. So we shot a couple of more pictures with a smoother background and again picked what we thought was the best. AI said exactly what hk blues mentions…and three days later we get an email to submit another picture as that one wasn’t acceptable. Thankfully they explained the exact issue with the picture we submitted and said it was perfect otherwise. Thus we were able to recreate it with the one flaw fixed (a hair issue, as it turns out) and they accepted it and issued the passport that day.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

The online submission was great for that. We took about a half dozen shots and submitted what we thought was the best. The AI kicked it back, background issue. So we shot a couple of more pictures with a smoother background and again picked what we thought was the best. AI said exactly what hk blues mentions…and three days later we get an email to submit another picture as that one wasn’t acceptable. Thankfully they explained the exact issue with the picture we submitted and said it was perfect otherwise. Thus we were able to recreate it with the one flaw fixed (a hair issue, as it turns out) and they accepted it and issued the passport that day.

image.jpeg.e926d60e627af4a447ea69d5f5476d84.jpeg