Stenhousemuir -vs- The Spartans (Saturday 9 March 2024)

Stenhousemuir begin the final quarter with a game against the Spartans at Ochilview. The Warriors currently enjoy a 16-point gap over the Edinburgh side and have won their three previous encounters this season. Every game has been pretty entertaining - the Spartans are one of the more enterprising sides in League 2 and boast some good footballers in Jamie Dishington and Rhys Armstrong - and I'm expecting something similar here.

When I think about Stenny's most decisive games over the season, the 1-0 win at Ainslie Park at the beginning of September is up there. Despite playing for half an hour with 10 men, James Berry somehow scored a 97th-minute winner, and this match really showcased our best characteristics - defensively strong, tactically assured, and an outstanding team spirit; these same qualities will be on show on Saturday and all the way through the remainder of the campaign.

It feels as though it's only a matter of time before we win out first ever league title and a victory on Saturday would take us one step further to glory. I'm not sure if Gary Naysmith will go with the same XI that defeated Bonnyrigg Rose the previous week or tinker a little. I think it might be the former:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Mikey Anderson - James Berry - Nat Wedderburn - Matty Yates -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

Whatever the manager goes with, I fully trust whoever's on the park and whoever's in reserve to do the business here.

I hope the Spartans are tired and deflated after their draw with Bonnyrigg on Tuesday night - the New Dundas Park pitch was in some state at the weekend and was probably worse three days later - but regardless, we'll be in for a good game here. We'll need to keep an eye out for Marc McNulty. He's not looking fit or sharp at the moment but he's obviously a quality player who can cause damage if we let our guard down.

The head and the heart say a home win. I'll see you there!

Decent game of football but thought we were the better side. Handled McNulty and Henderson very well, controlled the centre of the park and thought Bilham/Meechan both had solid games. 

Best moment of the game was seeing McNulty taking some stick very well, cusping his ear with a smile on his face and then rubbing his belly. Gave the fans some patter coming off at half time too. Gave my laddie a cuddle and a high five at the end of match. 

From my view, looked like we could've have at least two penalties. No idea why we never had a corner when their keeper had tipped it over. Assume the assistant thought it was out before the keeper touched it. 

Still, another point on the board and a 15 point lead. 

Bottom of the table is looking tight but playing like that against Forfar and we should take 3 points. 

Mon the Warriors.

A pretty drab game and one that won’t live long in the memory. Both teams with a couple decent chances, at least one strong penalty shout for each team, and another game closer to the title.

A decent game of football between two handy sides, but neither team showed much attacking intent and a draw was the fairest outcome. A lot of the comments above sum up the match well. I thought Michael Anderson and Nat Wedderburn were our two best players (although the latter fluffed a decent chance at the death), and Ross Meechan had a strong game at right-back. I felt Matty Aitken threw himself to the ground too easily at points, and we could have made our substitutions earlier - Ross Taylor should have been on the pitch long before the 82nd minute. On the whole, there's not a lot to quibble over, other than a late penalty shout that was somehow ignored.

It boggles my head that Blair Henderson is the division's top scorer. Every time I see him, I struggle to see what he's good at. Henderson barely won a header and there was a moment in the first half where we were caught out on the counter and the ball broke to him, but he didn't have a clue what to do with it in a deeper position and Euan O'Reilly was able to recover and make a tackle. Marc McNulty showed some nice touches here and there but didn't really influence the match.

Nevertheless - we're 15 points clear with 24 left to play for. We're one small step closer to glory.