Queen’s Park v Raith Rovers

Strange that this is two days away and no match thread. United’s result on Friday will determine whether or not this is another must win for Rovers. Feels like our confidence and belief is coming back a bit after our wobble, but with Queen’s Park definitely a tougher prospect than earlier in the season then suspect it'll be tight. Would take another 3-2 with an injury time winner. 

This is an interesting one. 

We've definitely started to play a lot more defensively in the last few weeks and 3 clean sheets in our last 4 would suggest it's working.  Not good for the blood pressure though.

With the attacking threat QP have with Thomas and Paton, I suspect we'll go for a similar approach on Saturday.

If we're going to be creating less chances we need to be more ruthless with them as it could've cost us on Tuesday (thankfully it didn't).

Tough one to call but will go for a hard-fought away win in a tight game.  

4 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

With the attacking threat QP have with Thomas and Paton, I suspect we'll go for a similar approach on Saturday.

As crazy as this sounds, Cillian Sheridan has also been a massive addition up front for us since he came in. I don't think anyone would've predicted him to look anywhere near as good as he has.

I'd be keen to see us go with two up front again, as we're clearly far more threatening that way. Essentially the same team as the Thistle game with Longridge in for McPherson from the start.

I get the impression that a lot of Queen's fans disagree with me, but I'm quite disappointed we came away with just 2 points from our last 2 games. Things are far too close around us in the league to be taking our foot off the gas the way we did.

Even when we were absolutely terrible this season we matched up fairly well against Raith; no point in dwelling on the fact that we Veldman'd ourselves twice, the players should be going into this feeling like they can win again.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

As crazy as this sounds, Cillian Sheridan has also been a massive addition up front for us since he came in. I don't think anyone would've predicted him to look anywhere near as good as he has.

I'd be keen to see us go with two up front again, as we're clearly far more threatening that way. Essentially the same team as the Thistle game with Longridge in for McPherson from the start.

I get the impression that a lot of Queen's fans disagree with me, but I'm quite disappointed we came away with just 2 points from our last 2 games. Things are far too close around us in the league to be taking our foot off the gas the way we did.

Even when we were absolutely terrible this season we matched up fairly well against Raith; no point in dwelling on the fact that we Veldman'd ourselves twice, the players should be going into this feeling like they can win again.

I forgot that you'd signed a different Cillian Sheridan from the complete fraud who was up in Inverness.  He did play with Davidson at Saints though so he obviously just knows how to get the best out of him.

The impression I get is that Queens are a similar team to ourselves and Partick Thistle.  Score plenty of goals but concede too many too.  We've sacrificed our attacking threat a bit recently to try to stop conceding so many goals and (other than a mad 20 minute spell in Arbroath) it seems to have worked.  

Queens are in that strange position where they could easily be involved in the play-offs at either end of the table which can either be motivational or put them under pressure.  Hopefully it's the latter.

Both teams need a win I think.  I am expecting another fairly tight game against Raith. I agree with @AllanJM that there are some similarities in footballing style between ourselves and Thistle.   I think both teams will try and get the ball down and pass on the deck. From memory Raith have a very effective press so I expect the first half could be hard going for us but hopefully three games in a week will catch up with Raith and the game will open up to our advantage in the second half.

I've got a lot of respect for the Rovers but as @Zanetti says we have run them close in our games this season. So plenty of respect for their achievements but nothing to fear given our squad is stronger and a bit more resolute.  The biggest fear I have is the referring, which we are all suffering from.  We haven't had much luck over the last few weeks and I have a nightmare of Easton throwing himself to ground around the box (as usual?) and getting something.  We need to take care of business, be clinical,  and make sure such incidents don't have a bearing on the outcome of the game.

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Couldn't agree more.  No disrespect intended but if we are serious about being competitive in the Championship then we need to be beating teams like Airdrie and not spanking two goal leads at home.

2 hours ago, AllanJM said:

The impression I get is that Queens are a similar team to ourselves and Partick Thistle.  Score plenty of goals but concede too many too.

Half right; first part of the season we were solely reliant on Paton whilst the defence was as solid as wet tissue paper. Some astute signings, of which (Sheridan and Welsh have arguably had the biggest impact) and a change of formation have eased the pressure on Paton and the defence somewhat.  If Morton and Ayr have been bogey teams for us, Rovers and Thistle have provided more even, entertaining games with, more often than not, a more positive result.  

Given the away games we have left and having United at home next month, I'd be tempted to say, given how bunched-up teams seem to be getting in the bottom of half of the league, 3 points is almost a must.

Every game is a must win, for supporters.

Managers likely to accept a draw if all square going into the last 10 minutes.

We should be full of confidence going into this one, defensively stronger, creating chances and with more depth on the bench since we won in Kirkcaldy, in what was CD's first game in charge.

2-0 win for QP.

I wouldn't be surprised if CD axes Tommy Robson for this one. But that would mean he would have to sacrifice Thomson in the midfield, pull him back and use Turner in the midfield as I'm sure he won't risk playing Tizzard in a game like this. 

Stop Paton and we win. With Rudden and Vaughan possibly back in the starting line up it gives us some bite up front although I like Hamilton up there to hold the ball in and gives the defence a breather. A last minute panenka penalty again anyone?

I think every game for us now is in must win category if we want to win the league. We need to be in a position to take advantage of any potential slip ups from utd. Even if we don't go on to win the league a win here officially secures second spot. We've been called lucky all season because of the manner of our wins and until Saturday hadn't won a league game by more than 1 goal, but we're verging on 30 games played (almost) so there's only so long you can actually accuse us of being lucky. Qp have vastly improved since Davidson came in so much like every other game against them this season, it won't be easy but we do have a team capable of going and getting the 3 points. I'll take a dogged performance and 3 points over playing nice football at this stage of the season. 

9 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I think every game for us now is in must win category if we want to win the league. We need to be in a position to take advantage of any potential slip ups from utd. Even if we don't go on to win the league a win here officially secures second spot. We've been called lucky all season because of the manner of our wins and until Saturday hadn't won a league game by more than 1 goal, but we're verging on 30 games played (almost) so there's only so long you can actually accuse us of being lucky. Qp have vastly improved since Davidson came in so much like every other game against them this season, it won't be easy but we do have a team capable of going and getting the 3 points. I'll take a dogged performance and 3 points over playing nice football at this stage of the season. 

Not trying to be pedantic but by my calculations Partick can still get to 64 points.

5 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Not trying to be pedantic but by my calculations Partick can still get to 64 points.

Yeah my bad. I was too lazy to check it beforehand and was just doing a rough guess at it. 

Edited by grumswall

2 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Think I'm a bit more nuanced than that.  

There are games you should win and others that are free hits.  Given our recent records at Morton and Ayr and recent record against Utd and the state of the league, personally, on this occasion, I think 3 points is a must.

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

The Partick side we played last Saturday didn't look like one that has 64 points in them. I think they will be looking over their shoulder more at Morton than ahead at you.

6 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Managers likely to accept a draw if all square going into the last 10 minutes.

Managers might but for most of this season Rovers players have have had a real habit of going at it until the final whistle (whenever it comes), as tbh I'd have thought Queens fans would have been only too well aware of.

I'd wager not one of the top 4 will complete the season taking the maximum points,  though of that 4 United would surely be the favorites to accomplish it if any.

With the above in mind I'm not sure if with only a 1 point of a difference that either we or United are at the "must win stage" just yet, however if United beat the Pars and we lose at Hampden then I'd say we would almost certainly be moved into that bracket. Even if the Pars beat Utd and we win against Queens then I'd say Utd weren't fully at the must win stage although they'd have to be really feeling the pressure.

Quite clearly it's now all but officially a 2 horse race to the flag, and as such it's all about how the sides manage the pressure.  Results this weekend in Rovers favour ramps it up on Utd and the reverse has the same effect on us, obviously if both win then it's Rossi, Parfitt and Co all round.

Back to our game it's self and as with the previous 3 games It'll likely be tichter than a gnats chuff, hopefully with our new found resolve we can edge it. That said I feel any outcome other than an out and out thumping for either team wouldn't come as a surprise.

Edited by Scottydog

10 hours ago, grumswall said:

10 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

9 hours ago, grumswall said:

Yeah my bad. I was too lazy to check it beforehand and was just doing a rough guess at it. 

We are currently safe for sixth or better, as Arbroath, ICT, the Pars and QP cannot catch us.

One more win and it's fifth or better, as it knocks out Ayr...and three wins is certain second or better, but it's likely others dropping points would lock us at two wins. DU are in the exact same spot, except they can lock second or better with just two wins due to their GD and extra point.

QP are in a peculiar situation, as their maximum total can only assure seventh, if they can maintain the GD over the Pars. Their maximum would be third, but the task of overhauling Partick, Morton and Airdrie is a daunting one...at least one, if not two, of those three would be likely to finish above them. 

I'm being a bit like a typical manager in that I'm taking it one game at a time.  Take care of what's in front of you then move on to the next game.

I have no doubt the players are 100% focussed on QP tomorrow, despite the BBC guys desperately trying to get them to talk about the game at Tannadice on the 30th.

As for tomorrow, if we play as well as we can then I'm confident we have enough quality in the team to win.  QP will of course make it difficult for us and we need to be tight at the back again.

The players must be feeling confident though after picking up two wins and two clean sheets after the Arbroath debacle.

2nd is in the bag, not a chance we finish below that.

Kyle Turner and Matthews to start tomorrow. Would never have thought I’d be saying that a couple of weeks ago.

I think we’ll sneak it 2-1

Between the two of you the heart would love Rovers to get the automatic promotion and have a punt against the big boys, however as a QP fan, we need the three points.  Don't think anyone in this league near the bottom 5 should fear Hamilton and with Falkirk undoubtedly coming up and if Utd went up this year, the Championship next year could genuinely be a belter of a league.

All the talk of how we play Dundee Utd up at Tannadice, this game scares me the most. As Rovers fans we all know the Rovers like to step on their own rakes. Let’s be honest, QP are a quality side and we seriously cannot take them for granted. Dom Thomas will be especially motivated against us, and he has really decent backing with Sheridan and Paton eager to do the business. Hope Tuesdays exertions haven’t got to the team and we remain resolute. I haven’t actually read the thread as of yet, so I don’t know if QP have any injury worries ahead of this match.