Meh-tov and Sidib-meh versus Kilmarnock 13/4/24

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Mention above of Max looking better yesterday and more positive - he had one good moment with a drive forward and shot early in the second half, but beyond that I thought he was anonymous. 

First half yes he was as anonymous as most of our players. After HT he had that shot you mention then was involved in a few 1-2’s and passages of play and looked to be playing the ball forward far more than usual. We had the momentum at that point, made the sub then around that time it died and the match became more even.

Feels like three years of mediocrity are taking their toll on Saints fans here. It wasn’t a good performance by any means, but we had several decent opportunities and were playing a far better side in horrendous conditions which probably affected the level of entertainment on offer.  Basically, we’ve been far worse over the last few years. I’m not saying it should be accepted, but we just need to remember what the aim is here since Levein came in from where we were; stay up.  And that’s it.

We know we’re not a great side, and are low on confidence, but every defeat we get the same reaction as if it’s a huge shock. 

That Kilmarnock squad has been gradually built up over a couple of seasons and enhanced by additions each window. Just about any one of Van Veen, Watkins, Vassell, Armstrong, Kennedy, Mackay-Steven, Stewart would probably be a stand out for us.  And let’s not mention options in defence.

We are a squad cobbled together by three different managers over the past year. 

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

we had several decent chances

When?

I seen this repeated a lot after the Dundee game and didn't have a clue what folk were on about either.

Our only real chance yesterday was a header and sclaff after a corner and a overhead kick from a poor cross. We didn't have a single other shot in the box over the 97 minutes.

We had a striker with 2 goals in 2 games and full of confidence and didn't create a single chance for him.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

When?

I seen this repeated a lot after the Dundee game and didn't have a clue what folk were on about either.

Our only real chance yesterday was a header and sclaff after a corner and a overhead kick from a poor cross. We didn't have a single other shot in the box over the 97 minutes.

We had a striker with 2 goals in 2 games and full of confidence and didn't create a single chance for him.

Aye, forgot that creating openings from shots from around the box don’t count these days.

Pretty sure we created one for Clark from the edge of the box that he volleyed over the bar. The Dundee game he had one rolled into his path from Sidibeh where he was clean through and rolled it wide.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye, forgot that creating openings from shots from around the box don’t count these days.

Pretty sure we created one for Clark from the edge of the box that he volleyed over the bar. The Dundee game he had one rolled into his path from Sidibeh where he was clean through and rolled it wide.

I mean, a half volley under huge pressure from 20 yards isn't a good chance for me, but crack on if you think that was remotely likely to lead to a goal and should be used as evidence we have a functional attack. Can only assume you're classing Keltjens multiple efforts from 20 yards as good chances too, which makes me understand why you think it wasn't a bad performance. 

The Dundee game had people raving about us dominating and creating lots of chances too, yet that Clark chance is the only example I ever get of an actual good chance.

Its nowhere near good enough and this gaslighting everyone is committing on themselves about our play being good because we get one or two quick passing move per match is wild to me. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

First half yes he was as anonymous as most of our players. After HT he had that shot you mention then was involved in a few 1-2’s and passages of play and looked to be playing the ball forward far more than usual. We had the momentum at that point, made the sub then around that time it died and the match became more even.

Feels like three years of mediocrity are taking their toll on Saints fans here. It wasn’t a good performance by any means, but we had several decent opportunities and were playing a far better side in horrendous conditions which probably affected the level of entertainment on offer.  Basically, we’ve been far worse over the last few years. I’m not saying it should be accepted, but we just need to remember what the aim is here since Levein came in from where we were; stay up.  And that’s it.

We know we’re not a great side, and are low on confidence, but every defeat we get the same reaction as if it’s a huge shock. 

That Kilmarnock squad has been gradually built up over a couple of seasons and enhanced by additions each window. Just about any one of Van Veen, Watkins, Vassell, Armstrong, Kennedy, Mackay-Steven, Stewart would probably be a stand out for us.  And let’s not mention options in defence.

We are a squad cobbled together by three different managers over the past year. 

I think that's true, it's just more galling because Killie are a bigger budget version of what we used to be, and the current team is so far away from that. 

First time posting on the match and I'll keep it short and sweet. Killie and McInnes were everything saints were 7/8 years ago when we were at our most dangerous. Solid, well organised and carrying quality out wide in the right areas. It's not rocket science this league, be combative front to back, win the second balls and give it to the players who can create, all of which Killie did very impressively in tricky conditions. Saints made it easy truth be told, but you can only beat what's in front of you and fair play to Killie, no complaints with the result at all.

I assume Killie make it into Europe and I think from what I've seen this season and knowing how pragmatic the manager is you could do pretty well assuming the key players are retained and I'd much rather see you in the competitions from a Scottish point of view than Hibs, Aberdeen or St Mirren right now, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

I assume Killie make it into Europe and I think from what I've seen this season and knowing how pragmatic the manager is you could do pretty well assuming the key players are retained and I'd much rather see you in the competitions from a Scottish point of view than Hibs, Aberdeen or St Mirren right now, that's for sure. 

And in the spirit of maintaining the bitterest rivalries in Scottish football, I hope you do enough to stay up this season.

M’on the Mehs.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Key is holding onto our players. 

Findlay, Dennis and Ndaba are on loan but i think the club will look to make 2 of them (FIndlay and Ndaba permanent) 

Watkins is out of contract which would be a big loss if we can't persuade him to re-sign (rumours are that he wants to move back down south with his family). 

Add to the fact i'd be amazed if we don't get bids for Armstrong, Watson and Mayo, so it's a big summer coming up. 

Just now, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

And in the spirit of maintaining the bitterest rivalries in Scottish football, I hope you do enough to stay up this season.

M’on the Mehs.

Same, i enjoy a day out at Perth.