Ryan Christie

12 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Christie is already in the team

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

beat me to it. 

Is he though? He plays more often than not because usually someone is out but he's pretty interchangeable with Gilmour in our first eleven for me. I think the first eleven generally has McGregor and Gilmour at the base and McGinn and McTominay supporting the striker, whichever one it may be. Christie is sometimes preferred to Gilmour, he played the last double header because McGregor was out. He started qualifying in the team ahead of McTominay but surely nobody thinks he's ahead of McTominay now?

Basically in usual shape we have five players for four positions plus we had Ferguson and McLean to step in beyond that. We've lost Ferguson. If we lose McTominay then we've four first choice midfielders for four positions but only McLean behind them.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is he though? He plays more often than not because usually someone is out but he's pretty interchangeable with Gilmour in our first eleven for me. 

I have a record of minutes played in 2023 and it agrees in general with the idea that Christie and Gilmour are interchangeable. The interchangeability wasn't related to injuries recently imo. That can come into it, but not last year. Christie, McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay (5) were all available for selection across every game Scotland played in 2023, friendlies and competitive. 

Spoiler

image.png.3ef297e6fb6ca2f57a77d9749791966f.png

The primary factor driving selection and game time is which player best suits the challenges of each game. It's horses for courses. Simply put, Christie starts when it's going to be a graft, lots without the ball - the 'big games'. Gilmour starts if we want to try to control the game with the ball. That's my analysis.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think the first eleven generally has McGregor and Gilmour at the base and McGinn and McTominay supporting the striker, whichever one it may be. Christie is sometimes preferred to Gilmour, he played the last double header because McGregor was out. 

Gilmour and McGregor started 3 competitive games together in 2023. Georgia (Home and away), Cyprus [and England]. That tells it's own story. Is there anything pointing away from the idea that Gilmour replaced McGregor in March?

Edited by 2426255

If Gilmour is on the bench and we are going to aim to be more physical against Germany, think I would rather have Christie and McGregor playing the deeper roles and Armstrong playing further forward. This would also allow McTominay to get forward more also which we seem to get more out of McTominay when he's in one of the attacking midfield roles rather than sitting further back IMO

39 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

If Gilmour is on the bench and we are going to aim to be more physical against Germany, think I would rather have Christie and McGregor playing the deeper roles and Armstrong playing further forward. This would also allow McTominay to get forward more also which we seem to get more out of McTominay when he's in one of the attacking midfield roles rather than sitting further back IMO

giphy.gif

SD, Where are you planning to fit John McGinn into yer setup? Up front, at the back or in nets?

13 hours ago, 2426255 said:

giphy.gif

SD, Where are you planning to fit John McGinn into yer setup? Up front, at the back or in nets?

Lol miscounted for some reason, McGinn instead of Armstrong then