Jimmy Thelin - Aberdeen's new Manager

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

What was the point in paying that expensive German consultancy firm all that money then, if their big answer was to appoint a guy you already knew about and considered. Almost as though they saw Cormack coming a mile off.

The consultant wasn't hired to identify a manager. It was a review of the structure of the club and the recruitment operation.

f**k me. weegie media this, Weegie media that. I managed about 7 posts on this thread, cos 1 guy said "hipster" people lost their head.

Did it get any better?

36 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

f**k me. weegie media this, Weegie media that. I managed about 7 posts on this thread, cos 1 guy said "hipster" people lost their head.

Did it get any better?

Aberdeen fans really need to get ovet this bizarre obsession they have about the impact of geography on media reporting.

On 21/04/2024 at 18:30, MikeAFC94 said:

The no-man's land being 'above Hearts last season'?

On 22/04/2024 at 08:48, Suspect Device said:

And most of the 10 years before that.

That's great for you to cling on to, but we're not in administration now, we're not recovering from that any more, and we're no longer throwing loads of money and resources at building a new stand. You did have the better of us for a few years, but we've come out of that with a completed modern stadium and a club that's on a sure footing with a proper infrastructure, and we're about to play group stage football for the second time in three years.

Aberdeen have nothing to show for that period, even in the medium term. It's been wasted. You built nothing and now you're in danger of being left behind. In terms of status, you're looking like you've regressed to the world before Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers imploded.

Aberdeen have now been third in the league once in the last six seasons (already looking more luck than judgement). They've been in the bottom half of the league two years out of three. They've repeatedly shown poor leadership, poor judgement, and a total lack of strategy. Since Hearts were promoted we've (so far) out-performed Aberdeen by 43 points in less than three seasons. It's hard to argue that it looks like there's been a large momentum swing from you to us.

Aberdeen might bounce back next year. This guy might do a good job. You can never really tell. But it's unarguable at the moment that Aberdeen's purple patch is beginning to look very much like a window of opportunity that has now closed, and been absolutely squandered, to no real long-term impact.

Edited by VincentGuerin

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

That's great for you to cling on to, but we're not in administration now, we're not recovering from that any more, and we're no longer throwing loads of money and resources at building a new stand. You did have the better of us for a few years, but we've come out of that with a completed modern stadium and a club that's on a sure footing with a proper infrastructure, and we're about to play group stage football for the second time in three years.

Aberdeen have nothing to show for that period, even in the medium term. It's been wasted. You built nothing and now you're in danger of being left behind. You're looking like you've regressed to the world before Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers imploded.

Aberdeen have now been third in the league once in the last six seasons (already looking more luck than judgement). They've been in the bottom half of the league two years out of three. They've repeatedly shown poor leadership, poor judgement, and a total lack of strategy. Since Hearts were promoted we've (so far) out-performed Aberdeen by 43 points in less than three seasons. It's hard to argue that it looks like there's been a large momentum swing from you to us.

Aberdeen might bounce back next year. This guy might do a good job. You can never really tell. But it's unarguable at the moment that Aberdeen's purple patch is beginning to look very much like a window of opportunity that has now closed, and been absolutely squandered, to no real long-term impact.

I think that's called "obsession".

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's an on-topic post. Unlike yours, old mucker.

Care to join the discussion?

Ok. In the last 12 seasons Aberdeen have finished higher than Hearts 10 times.

In the last 10 seasons Aberdeen have finished 2nd four times, with Hearts on zero.

In the last 121 years Aberdeen have never been relegated, Hearts have been countless times.

In the last 121 years Aberdeen have beaten Rangers countless times at Hampden, Hearts have never done that.

If you want to concentrate on the last three years, that's your perogative. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Ok. In the last 12 seasons Aberdeen have finished higher than Hearts 10 times.

In the last 10 seasons Aberdeen have finished 2nd four times, with Hearts on zero.

In the last 121 years Aberdeen have never been relegated, Hearts have been countless times.

In the last 121 years Aberdeen have beaten Rangers countless times at Hampden, Hearts have never done that.

If you want to concentrate on the last three years, that's your perogative. 

That's great if you are in a bad mood and want to make the chat silly.

We're takking about Aberdeen's current direction. They're not hiring this guy a decade ago.

Things have changed around Aberdeen and they are starting to see the consequences of not making the most of their opportunity ten years ago.

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

That's great if you are in a bad mood and want to make the chat silly.

We're takking about Aberdeen's current direction. They're not hiring this guy a decade ago.

Things have changed around Aberdeen and they are starting to see the consequences of not making the most of their opportunity ten years ago.

You are beginning to sound like a St Mirren fan. Again, that’s your prerogative.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Take the night off, mate. You’re having a swing at a perfectly reasonable post. 

Take it easy. 

Ok. Nobody knows if Jimmy Thelin is going to be a success at Aberdeen. I’m pleased that we haven’t gone for the usual run of the mill Scottish manager, or someone with no track record, and he seems to be respected and liked at Elfsborg. He may have a great season and take us back to third or better.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Take the night off, mate. You’re having a swing at a perfectly reasonable post. 

Take it easy. 

The post on isolation is reasonable to an extent; however, this is about your 500th post on how Hearts are so much better than Aberdeen.

Did an Aberdeen girl break your heart or something?

You need to let it go and move on.

9 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The post on isolation is reasonable to an extent; however, this is about your 500th post on how Hearts are so much better than Aberdeen.

Did an Aberdeen girl break your heart or something?

You need to let it go and move on.

I've not posted about Aberdeen for ages.

You can engage with the post of ignore the post. What grinds the forum to a halt is poor responses along the lines of what we've seen above.

I stand by the post, by the way. I think it's an entirely fair picture of Aberdeen's situation. I think you'll struggle to keep up with Hearts and Hibs over the next decade due to your failure to make hay while the sun shone. And I was reponding to people on here referencing your good run over us and putting it in context.

You did have it over us for quite a while. But what do you have to show for it? Aberdeen were asleep at the wheel while Hearts and Hibs were getting stuff done.

Edited by VincentGuerin

12 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

You can engage with the post of ignore the post. What grinds the forum to a halt is poor responses along the lines of what we've seen above.

I stand by the post, by the way. I think it's an entirely fair picture of Aberdeen's situation. I think you'll struggle to keep up with Hearts and Hibs over the next decade due to your failure to make hay while the sun shone. And I was reponding to people on here referencing your good run over us and putting it in context.

You did have it over us for quite a while. But what do you have to show for it? Aberdeen were asleep at the wheel while Hearts and Hibs were getting stuff done.

Except it’s an entirely hyperbolic post which doesn’t really reflect reality. 

The club rid itself of the debt that had been hanging over us for years, attracted plenty new investment and built a training ground in that period. 

We reached a point where performances on the pitch plateaued as we lost players and the lack of recruitment infrastructure and short term thinking on the pitch came to bite. We’ve tried to address that in the last few years (yes, at times hilariously badly) but broadly that infrastructure is moving in the right direction. I think we’ve tried to do too much too quickly and made a complete arse of a lot of it in the process. 

I mean, I’m sure there was a club in recent times that changed the structure of their football department, introduced a new model, signed about 40 players every window, hired all sorts of managers including their director of football and got relegated in the process. I’m told that club is now miles ahead of everybody at everything. 

This isn’t a prediction that everything works out great for us, but the work done to sort out the balance sheet and infrastructure of the club whilst performing well has allowed a platform for progression. Whether we take it or not is up for debate for now, your characterisation of us though is based in reality but laced with hyperbole and your hopes for how this plays out. 

41 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The club rid itself of the debt that had been hanging over us for years, attracted plenty new investment and built a training ground in that period. 

We reached a point where performances on the pitch plateaued as we lost players and the lack of recruitment infrastructure and short term thinking on the pitch came to bite. We’ve tried to address that in the last few years (yes, at times hilariously badly) but broadly that infrastructure is moving in the right direction. I think we’ve tried to do too much too quickly and made a complete arse of a lot of it in the process. 

I mean, I’m sure there was a club in recent times that changed the structure of their football department, introduced a new model, signed about 40 players every window, hired all sorts of managers including their director of football and got relegated in the process. I’m told that club is now miles ahead of everybody at everything. 

This isn’t a prediction that everything works out great for us, but the work done to sort out the balance sheet and infrastructure of the club whilst performing well has allowed a platform for progression. Whether we take it or not is up for debate for now, your characterisation of us though is based in reality but laced with hyperbole and your hopes for how this plays out. 

The post that I wish I had the intelligence to write.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Historically there probably hasn’t been much between Aberdeen and Hearts, I’ve seen nothing to think that’s going to change any time soon.

58 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't think hyperbole is really fair.

Aberdeen have been bottom six two years in three. The general trend for them is poor. They've repeatedly made bad decisions, and off the pitch they have an enormous problem that their rivals don't have. Every other "big" Scottish club has hit historically poor performance when addressing stadium issues, and Aberdeen have that still to come. Maybe they buck the trend in that regard, but nothing about how the club is run suggests that'll be the case.

Aberdeen finished ahead of us and we had to take that on the chin for a bit, which wasn't enjoyable. But I think in the long-term, we'll be seen to have had a better last decade.

Of course I hope Aberdeen have a bad decade. It would be very funny. But it's far from purely wishful thinking, as any sober observer can see.

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think hyperbole is really fair.

Aberdeen have been bottom six two years in three. The general trend for them is poor. They've repeatedly made bad decisions, and off the pitch they have an enormous problem that their rivals don't have. Every other "big" Scottish club has hit historically poor performance when addressing stadium issues, and Aberdeen have that still to come. Maybe they buck the trend in that regard, but nothing about how the club is run suggests that'll be the case.

Aberdeen finished ahead of us and we had to take that on the chin for a bit, which wasn't enjoyable. But I think in the long-term, we'll be seen to have had a better last decade.

Of course I hope Aberdeen have a bad decade. It would be very funny. But it's far from purely wishful thinking, as any sober observer can see.

Utter UTTER bollocks

Any decade that includes an administration & a relegation (or is it two?) is a total embarrassment & a permanent massive blot on your history.

😆

🤡

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Utter UTTER bollocks

Any decade that includes an administration & a relegation (or is it two?) is a total embarrassment & a permanent massive blot on your history.

😆

🤡

Yet, here we are. 😎

We're in a miles better place than Aberdeen any way you cut it.