Dumbarton v Elgin 27/04/24

Another very solid display from young Lennon today, apart from when he nearly gifted them a goal before our equaliser. This guy has come on leaps and bounds amidst a shitstorm involving his poor family and he’s certainly made me eat my words when I questioned if he was good enough for this level. Fair play to him.

The only thing that concerns me at this stage is any injuries involving our regular starters because I don’t think any of the bench warmers look like they could come in and do a similar job. 

As an exercise in squad rotation and giving some game time to a few players today was a success, but in terms of learning anything and winning the football match it was a failure.

I fancied even an injury-hit Elgin would be difficult opponents and they were all that and more, especially in the first half when they were good value for their lead.  The fact that we rescued a point from 0-2 down was admirable but it owed more to perseverance than flowing football, which was impossible on the bobbly surface.

On then to Balmoor next week with nothing yet settled across the play-off situation - it could be a day of fluctuating fortunes before the dust settles.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As an exercise in squad rotation and giving some game time to a few players today was a success, but in terms of learning anything and winning the football match it was a failure.

I fancied even an injury-hit Elgin would be difficult opponents and they were all that and more, especially in the first half when they were good value for their lead.  The fact that we rescued a point from 0-2 down was admirable but it owed more to perseverance than flowing football, which was impossible on the bobbly surface.

On then to Balmoor next week with nothing yet settled across the play-off situation - it could be a day of fluctuating fortunes before the dust settles.

As has been mentioned our pitch is an absolute shitshow. The amount of times the ball was rolling / being dribbled along the ground and it popped up in the air as a result of a bump or divot was unreal.

I do think it’s quite poor that the club never tweet any acknowledgement/apology when there’s problems with the stream. In fairness, the streams have been pretty good for a while now, since the days there always seemed to be a problem, and I actually can’t remember the last time there was an issue (other than Spartans where they just didn’t do one despite saying they would). Granted it was a meaningless game today, so I doubt anyone really cared, but it’s poor not to at least acknowledge it on Twitter. 

Edited by FifeSons

We never got going until we saw Elgin hit the bar to miss out on extending their lead to 3-0. Started the game well and finished it strongly, but the bit in between was a bit of a worry. Kelly showing that he's probably a great player in the West of Scotland or Lowland Leagues, but he's well short of SPFL level. Get next Saturday out the way and then into the play-offs. I really hope we avoid playing Peterhead in the semi finals. 

Posted (edited)

Anyone had any luck getting a refund for the stream? I've heard nothing back from the club.

Anyway, by chance I saw an article by our own Jan that seemed a good cause to give the stream money, too. Clicky.

Edited by FifeSons