The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Where to start?

Probably the hardest thing I’ve ever watched but totally captivating.

A few times I had to switch off as just felt I needed a break from it.

Everyone should watch this.

10/10 

Not to tell people what they should or shouldn't watch, and I'm glad you find it captivating etc, but how much more do we need to see of the Holocaust? I read the book, and it's a heartrending story, but it led to a bunch of similar books ("the photographer of Auschwitz" and probably "the dinner lady of Auschwitz" as well) which seemed to tug at the hearstrings in the same way. At some point it starts to feel a bit manipulative and mawkish. I guess there's always an appetite for awfulness. I just found myself shaking my head when I saw they'd made a series of this. It's probably a very unpopular opinion, but I think the Holocaust has been done to.....well, you know what I mean.

25 minutes ago, velo army said:

Not to tell people what they should or shouldn't watch, and I'm glad you find it captivating etc, but how much more do we need to see of the Holocaust? I read the book, and it's a heartrending story, but it led to a bunch of similar books ("the photographer of Auschwitz" and probably "the dinner lady of Auschwitz" as well) which seemed to tug at the hearstrings in the same way. At some point it starts to feel a bit manipulative and mawkish. I guess there's always an appetite for awfulness. I just found myself shaking my head when I saw they'd made a series of this. It's probably a very unpopular opinion, but I think the Holocaust has been done to.....well, you know what I mean.

Absolutely.  No point in reminding the world about genocide any more. It's a thing of the past now. Time to move on.

31 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Absolutely.  No point in reminding the world about genocide any more. It's a thing of the past now. Time to move on.

Very good.