Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

If we want to progress through this one then there are a few things we must do to give us a chance.

We need to limit the chances Thistle get at our goal to protect Hemfrey.

We cannot play a back 4 with Watson in any of the games.

Finally, we can’t continuously dick about with the ball in our own box all the time- especially on Friday night. 

3 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Behave.

In all fairness, I’d guess our entire back line in 6ft and above and includes Luke McBeth, and you’ll do well to find a more physically adept player in the league than Lewis Neilson. We also have Brian Graham up front.

I don’t think it’s a fair description, but I can see from the outside how it looks.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

In all fairness, I’d guess our entire back line in 6ft and above and includes Luke McBeth, and you’ll do well to find a more physically adept player in the league than Lewis Neilson. We also have Brian Graham up front.

I don’t think it’s a fair description, but I can see from the outside how it looks.

Looking 

5 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

If we want to progress through this one then there are a few things we must do to give us a chance.

Finally, we can’t continuously dick about with the ball in our own box all the time- especially on Friday night. 

I think we all no the team, there will be no surprises,    as long as we remember this is a 2 leg game, and we don't shit the bed if we go behind, which we have previous for....  

After watching Thistle there strengths are down the flanks with overlapping fullbacks and a talented wide player in Fitzpatrick (we don't). Airdrie always play narrow and I don't see this game being any different,  we will miss McCabe in the sitting midfield role, his passing and experience is invaluable in these type of games,,  McMaster is young, decent( not near as good as made out) but to me is a front foot player and can dictate play when on top,  he struggles on the turn and doesn't give enough full back protection ,  remember the marauding Milne ripping us apart second half,  Megwa  had no midfield cover that day at all,  I don't think this will be an issue with Ballantyne coming in to the side to plug holes,  I hope Lyall plays he is bang on form, but can see him dropping out..

An interesting 180 minutes awaits

On 05/05/2024 at 11:44, Diamond8 said:

What you call 'dicking about' is what other fans who've watched us generally call good football, and it's a big part of why we've finished 4th.

Trust me I've had many a heart in mouth moment watching us pass the ball about at the back this season, but the vast majority of times it's led to excellent attacking moves. That's just our style of play and in large, it's been a joy to watch. 

Hearing old school shouts of 'punt it up the park' or 'just fucking clear it' is fine if you want to have us play like Morton. I just hope fans stay on side, back the team and trust the way we play as its been the best football we've seen in years and half the season Rhys's name crops up every time there's a management vacancy. 

49 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What you call 'dicking about' is what other fans who've watched us generally call good football, and it's a big part of why we've finished 4th.

Trust me I've had many a heart in mouth moment watching us pass the ball about at the back this season, but the vast majority of times it's led to excellent attacking moves. That's just our style of play and in large, it's been a joy to watch. 

Hearing old school shouts of 'punt it up the park' or 'just fucking clear it' is fine if you want to have us play like Morton. I just hope fans stay on side, back the team and trust the way we play as its been the best football we've seen in years and half the season Rhys's name crops up every time there's a management vacancy. 

I think you could find at least 10 goals we’ve conceded due to this though and while I agree it’s a big part of how we play and it is enjoyable to watch there are times when the ball needs to be moved much quicker than what we are capable of. Failing to recognise is just as ridiculous as not being aware of how well it has generally served us for the season.

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Agree I am old school, you don't piss about at the back etc...  we have lost a good few goals and probably more to come playing that way...     But when we are on it we are excellent and can rip teams apart through the midfield,    That is the reason we are 4th...   ( Break that down 4 th best in a 10 team league back in the day that was failure,  2 up , 2 down the rest mediocrity,  funny how things change)

2 hours ago, Girth said:

Derby or no this? 

Definitely not. A decent fixture in the calendar (which used to be more significant), but no more than that. Although, I'm sure from a police standpoint is it not considered the riskiest fixture in the league, I think I've heard that before but may be talking nonsense.

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Definitely not. A decent fixture in the calendar (which used to be more significant), but no more than that. Although, I'm sure from a police standpoint is it not considered the riskiest fixture in the league, I think I've heard that before but may be talking nonsense.

There's probably been more bother at Raith Rovers v Dunfermline this season.

21 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

There's probably been more bother at Raith Rovers v Dunfermline this season.

That's likely true, I'm sure this was a good few years ago that I was a particular category of fixture.

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

That's likely true, I'm sure this was a good few years ago that I was a particular category of fixture.

There was trouble outside Firhill after our cup game last season.

As a result, the Airdrie fans were kept in for 10 mins when we met in December.

The same policy was meant to have been in place the other week, but the away end was half empty before full time and they didn't bother with it.

10 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

I think you could find at least 10 goals we’ve conceded due to this though and while I agree it’s a big part of how we play and it is enjoyable to watch there are times when the ball needs to be moved much quicker than what we are capable of. Failing to recognise is just as ridiculous as not being aware of how well it has generally served us for the season.

I don't disagree but that's on the players to recognise when that time is and it's usually a misplaced pass or a player not moving it on quick enough that leads to errors. But they're just adhering to the tactics they've been told to play by Rhys. Bear in mind that to play a nice brand of football like this carries it's risks, of course it does. But the rewards are far greater IMO. And if we nailed it all the time, our players would all be snapped up by Premier league teams. Of course we are going to make mistakes. Every team does at this level, not forgetting how young many of our team are as well. So poor decision making can always lead to mistakes. 

But we're not going to revert to launching it long the moment there's the slightest bit of pressure on us. The whole point of the way we play is to invite said pressure, draw players in, which creates gaps in the next third to play in to. 

It's not called high risk, high reward for nothing. 

Tuesday will be a draw or a narrow victory for airdrie as I think we struggle on Astro. But I fancy we will have enough to get the job done on Friday. Possibly via extra time. I really don’t see us getting by Raith though either way. How does our midfield likely lineup for this one ? If muirhead is fit the back line picks itself. If he’s not then O’reilly slots in. Neilson fitzy Robinson bbg all givens. Stanway or banzo in beside neilson, Kerr out wide right ? 

7 hours ago, H Wragg said:

There was trouble outside Firhill after our cup game last season.

As a result, the Airdrie fans were kept in for 10 mins when we met in December.

The same policy was meant to have been in place the other week, but the away end was half empty before full time and they didn't bother with it.

The only time I saw notable trouble at Firhill (this is about 20 years ago) was against Airdrie.  Though the “fans” in question may have been from a few hundred miles further south….

I once went out with a girl from Airdrie and she was going on about how awful Hibs fans were, and humorously was completely taken aback when I mentioned to her gently that Airdrie fans might have had a bit of a reputation themselves.  She refused to believe it.