Seal the trapdoor

13 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Who voted the Colt/B teams into the diddy cup in 2016 which is only for clubs from the Championship down? I guess that would be the SPFL clubs.

The SPFL clubs continue to be happy for them to play in it, and if you're looking for the seeds of why B/Colt teams exist in Senior football, that's it.

Why aren't the clubs from Championship down voting to remove them from the diddy cup?

Someone else above was highlighting the fact there's no prize money in the LL, so SPFL clubs Rangers and Celtic (and a season later Hearts) offer a sizeable chunk of cash to the LL and unsurprisingly clubs take it.   I don't think it was right and it should never have happened, but I can understand why league/clubs took the dough and continue to do so.

The SFA Conference proposal to accomodate SPFL B teams would have probably been passed until the fans got involved and most lower SPFL clubs decided voting against was perhaps the wiser course of action.

SPFL, SPFL, SPFL......the Lowland League is far from being the problem here.

Of course the LL clubs are not to blame for not saying no to B teams. They couldn't help it.

Maybe it was an accident??

Just now, FREDDYFRY said:

At the risk of railroading the theme of this thread and apologies for doing so:

As far as the B teams in the diddy cup is concerned I have articulated my opposition to that from day one… in fact I have not attended a diddy cup game since that ridiculous decision was made.
I said at the time it was the thin edge of the wedge and was a way the “big” teams would get their wish and their B teams in the league. 
Long may the opposition to this ever happening  be fought, mainly by supporter's I have to say as the media and pundits float it every year as a good thing and a pathway to producing international players of the future, what utter utter nonsense!

I agree with that.  The introduction of Colts/B/U20 or whatever they are, into the diddy cup devalues it and continues to devalue it.  One, two or three games in this cup has zero impact on player development.   However the non-Premiership clubs can presumably change this by voting for change, it should have been done as soon as the SFA Conference proposal was booted into touch.

The Lowland League had no part to play in any of that, and the existence of two B teams in the league who cannot get promoted has zero impact on SPFL clubs, unlike the diddy cup. 

2 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Of course the LL clubs are not to blame for not saying no to B teams. They couldn't help it.

Maybe it was an accident??

Not sure of your point, but B teams in senior football was a thing long before they appeared in the LL. 

26 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Who voted the Colt/B teams into the diddy cup in 2016 which is only for clubs from the Championship down? I guess that would be the SPFL clubs.

The SPFL clubs continue to be happy for them to play in it, and if you're looking for the seeds of why B/Colt teams exist in Senior football, that's it.

Why aren't the clubs from Championship down voting to remove them from the diddy cup?

Someone else above was highlighting the fact there's no prize money in the LL, so SPFL clubs Rangers and Celtic (and a season later Hearts) offer a sizeable chunk of cash to the LL and unsurprisingly clubs take it.   I don't think it was right and it should never have happened, but I can understand why league/clubs took the dough and continue to do so.

The SFA Conference proposal to accomodate SPFL B teams would have probably been passed until the fans got involved and most lower SPFL clubs decided voting against was perhaps the wiser course of action.

SPFL, SPFL, SPFL......the Lowland League is far from being the problem here.

You've repeatedly said it yourself it's the Diddy Cup nobody gives a shit about it. 

Plenty warned that it would give them a foot in the door but they hadn't managed to get any further until the Lowland league came along. 

The lowland league has the potential to be a really good league given some of the teams lower down the pyramid but it will continue to be a joke of a league while it has guest teams in it. 

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Not sure of your point, but B teams in senior football was a thing long before they appeared in the LL. 

The LL are responsible for their decision to allow B teams to compete in their league and could have easily said no like the HL. Is it all the SPFL's fault or just three of the biggest clubs that happen to play in the Premiership doing their own thing? Mind no other club in the SPFL has shown any interest in playing a B team in the LL and the SPFL doesn't tell the LL who can play in their league, that decision is entirely down to the LL members.

7 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I agree with that.  The introduction of Colts/B/U20 or whatever they are, into the diddy cup devalues it and continues to devalue it.  One, two or three games in this cup has zero impact on player development.   However the non-Premiership clubs can presumably change this by voting for change, it should have been done as soon as the SFA Conference proposal was booted into touch.

The Lowland League had no part to play in any of that, and the existence of two B teams in the league who cannot get promoted has zero impact on SPFL clubs, unlike the diddy cup. 

It does have an impact on SPFL clubs because if any of us are unfortunate enough to fall into the LL we don't have a fucking say on playing these cretins. Why can't you just say B teams shouldn't be in the diddy cup or the LL? You say they devalue the diddy cup but when it comes to the LL you become all understanding and sympathetic. You have the biggest chip on your shoulder when it comes to the SPFL and I have no idea why.

For me, the absolute worst thing about potentially dropping into the Lowland League is the thought of having to play B Teams.

Obviously I wouldn't go, but as I've stated elsewhere, one of the reasons I support Stranraer is to avoid all the toxicity/bigotry/glory hunting that comes with that lot.

Towns like Stranraer are blighted enough without trying to squeeze extra pennies from fans that couldn't care less about their local club, or worse still belittle that club because they have no fans/money (make that make sense...) or because it's easy to convince yourself that supporting a team that win everything is superior.

Take the B Teams out and the words seal the trapdoor would never have been typed on my keyboard!

12 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

For me, the absolute worst thing about potentially dropping into the Lowland League is the thought of having to play B Teams.

Obviously I wouldn't go, but as I've stated elsewhere, one of the reasons I support Stranraer is to avoid all the toxicity/bigotry/glory hunting that comes with that lot.

Towns like Stranraer are blighted enough without trying to squeeze extra pennies from fans that couldn't care less about their local club, or worse still belittle that club because they have no fans/money (make that make sense...) or because it's easy to convince yourself that supporting a team that win everything is superior.

Take the B Teams out and the words seal the trapdoor would never have been typed on my keyboard!

100% correct 

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It does have an impact on SPFL clubs because if any of us are unfortunate enough to fall into the LL we don't have a fucking say on playing these cretins. Why can't you just say B teams shouldn't be in the diddy cup or the LL? You say they devalue the diddy cup but when it comes to the LL you become all understanding and sympathetic. You have the biggest chip on your shoulder when it comes to the SPFL and I have no idea why.

Part of the answer to that question is Neil Doncaster. That's an obvious one for me.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It's amazing how rattled you get when you simply point out the facts that the SPFL were the first to let B teams in the door, not the LL, and they're still "in the door".  The clubs below the Premier havent launched them yet, they must  be happy with their presence.

An irrefutable fact that is inconvenient to some.

I have zero affiliation with the LL, they were wrong to let B teams in and at times are a poorly run league. Doesn't change anything.

Edited by Burnieman

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

The LL are responsible for their decision to allow B teams to compete in their league and could have easily said no like the HL. Is it all the SPFL's fault or just three of the biggest clubs that happen to play in the Premiership doing their own thing? Mind no other club in the SPFL has shown any interest in playing a B team in the LL and the SPFL doesn't tell the LL who can play in their league, that decision is entirely down to the LL members.

Absolutely, they could have said no.  The SPFL clubs could have said no to B teams in the diddy cup. The hypocrisy on this thread is laughable!

Edited by Burnieman

49 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Part of the answer to that question is Neil Doncaster. That's an obvious one for me.

Why, he just does what he's told. That's his job, he implements policies and practices decided by the clubs.

I'm sure there are those fans of Lowland League clubs that fear some SPFL clubs joining the league as well. As some of the ex-SPFL clubs have shown a variety of ways to justify taking the B team coin rather than reject it.

9 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's amazing how rattled you get when you simply point out the facts that the SPFL were the first to let B teams in the door, not the LL, and they're still "in the door".  The clubs below the Premier havent launched them yet, they must  be happy with their presence.

An irrefutable fact that is inconvenient to some.

I have zero affiliation with the LL, they were wrong to let B teams in and at times are a poorly run league. Doesn't change anything.

The Challenge Cup is not on the same level as league competition. We let fucking part timers from Wales and Ireland in the competition too, it's a joke of a competition. LL have basically said you can pay your way into their league. That's a massive issue. 

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The Challenge Cup is not on the same level as league competition. We let fucking part timers from Wales and Ireland in the competition too, it's a joke of a competition. LL have basically said you can pay your way into their league. That's a massive issue. 

The Challenge Cup is an SPFL competition, includes a dozen B/Colt teams, has done since 2016, and is levels above tier 5 part time Lowland League. 

Two B teams in the LL who cannot be promoted is not a massive issue to SPFL clubs.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The Challenge Cup is an SPFL competition, includes a dozen B/Colt teams, has done since 2016, and is levels above tier 5 part time Lowland League. 

Two B teams in the LL who cannot be promoted is not a massive issue to SPFL clubs.

So why are you crying then?

11 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Caledonian Braves would have been relegated to the WoSFL when they still had their South reserve side. The South have been willing to lose teams to the WoSFL. Most importantly Threave Rovers recently. Its not an absolute certainty that a D&G area team coming down from the SPFL would have to go South.

Pretty sure this is wrong. Dalbeattie went down to the South League and it was made clear this season that regardless of their preference, Gretna would be going to the South League if they went down too (in the end they didn't).

53 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Absolutely, they could have said no.  The SPFL clubs could have said no to B teams in the diddy cup. The hypocrisy on this thread is laughable!

The introduction of the B Teams (along with NI and Welsh teams that season) was a decision taken by the SPFL board, it didn't go to a vote of the whole SPFL.