Seal the trapdoor

Debateable, but wouldn't the B teams get more from their young players by loaning them out to Lowland League and tier 6 Clubs? Dundee United and Motherwell already do this and players I've seen from their Clubs have excelled. 

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

As I said earlier, that should have been followed through with a proposal to remove B teams from the diddy cup, plus some sort of debate on how to resolve the mess that is Reserve/B/Colt football in this country with everyone pulling in different directions.  Solve that conundrum = no B teams in senior competition.

Didn't it also provide a perfect opportunity for the Lowland League clubs to vote them out?

That was literally a vote that happened, not one that had to be requested/forced onto an agenda.

15 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Didn't it also provide a perfect opportunity for the Lowland League clubs to vote them out?

That was literally a vote that happened, not one that had to be requested/forced onto an agenda.

It did, but clearly they were happy to have them and they'll be there for the next 3 seasons, a bit like SPFL clubs happy to have them in the diddy cup.

The challenge for the anti B Team lot (which includes me) is how do we push back?

Unfortunately it seems to be the case that there's resistance at first, then just acceptance.

In the case of Cowdenbeath for example, fans that were against now seem borderline pro or at least willing to defend their club out of some kind of tribal loyalty.

How do we get them out of the Challenge Cup and Lowland League - which seems to be a popular position with fans?

7 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

As I said earlier, that should have been followed through with a proposal to remove B teams from the diddy cup, plus some sort of debate on how to resolve the mess that is Reserve/B/Colt football in this country with everyone pulling in different directions.  Solve that conundrum = no B teams in senior competition.

Its a threat to every club from the Championship down, no one wants them in the SPFL and HL clubs said no. Having the B-teams in the top part of the pyramid is a far bigger issue than experimenting with the Challenge Cup. We are up against the ugly sisters on this, the man-who-does-what-he-is-told and the OF supporting media. The pyramid was the second best thing to happen in Scottish football and like the merger of the SPL and the SPFL only happened when one arse cheek died.

These influences only listen to the fans when they have to. Make them listen.

1 hour ago, GallowayBlue said:

The challenge for the anti B Team lot (which includes me) is how do we push back?

Unfortunately it seems to be the case that there's resistance at first, then just acceptance.

In the case of Cowdenbeath for example, fans that were against now seem borderline pro or at least willing to defend their club out of some kind of tribal loyalty.

How do we get them out of the Challenge Cup and Lowland League - which seems to be a popular position with fans?

What's your stance on Stranraer Reserves in the South of Scotland League?

Just now, Burnieman said:

What's your stance on Stranraer Reserves in the South of Scotland League?

Totally against and brought that up in conversation with the committee member I spoke with re. The Conference League.

8 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Totally against and brought that up in conversation with the committee member I spoke with re. The Conference League.

So where would you see your reserve team playing if they were booted out?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So where would you see your reserve team playing if they were booted out?

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I don't find myself particularly bothered with the plight of the reserve team.

It seems to be used as a stick to beat the club with (why are you not playing them in the first team/I'll never give the first team a penny and support the reserves etc) all to produce maybe one player every 15 years or so.

One club, one space in the pyramid seems like a fair approach - and if solutions need to be found for reserve team football at all levels, including isolated areas etc I don't think that is beyond the wit of man.

That shouldn't be used as an excuse to spoil the competitiveness of leagues for teams that actually care.

Edited by GallowayBlue

16 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I don't find myself particularly bothered with the plight of the reserve team.

It seems to be used as a stick to beat the club with (why are you not playing them in the first team/I'll never give the first team a penny and support the reserves etc) all to produce maybe one player every 15 years or so.

One club, one space in the pyramid seems like a fair approach - and if solutions need to be found for reserve team football at all levels, including isolated areas etc I don't think that is beyond the wit of man.

That shouldn't be used as an excuse to spoil the competitiveness of leagues for teams that actually care.

Not sure anyone beats Stranraer with this, I'm not sure too many are particularly bothered about them being in the SoS.

As it stands, the pyramid is imperfect but it will take consensus, time and compromise to help it grow. 

I also don't see the benefit of B teams. SPFL 10 or 12 team leagues do nothing for youth development because managers will not risk young players when playing for championships or fighting relegation. 

11 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

As it stands, the pyramid is imperfect but it will take consensus, time and compromise to help it grow. 

I also don't see the benefit of B teams. SPFL 10 or 12 team leagues do nothing for youth development because managers will not risk young players when playing for championships or fighting relegation. 

Things are a lot better than they were in 2013. At least there is a way forward for teams who want to participate in the SPFL, rather than relying on election.

36 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Threave look to have managed in the West Development League conferences. 

What are the age restrictions for the West Dev leagues? Our SoSL team seems to have several players 27-30yrs old.

33 minutes ago, CowdenPhil said:

SPFL 10 or 12 team leagues do nothing for youth development because managers will not risk young players when playing for championships or fighting relegation. 

This is obviously utter nonsense, and very much dependent upon the manager in question. 

1 hour ago, CowdenPhil said:

28 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This is obviously utter nonsense, and very much dependent upon the manager in question. 

One team is correct, but the biggest moaners about not having competitive football for their poor wee laddies are the Old Firm and last week Celtic played precisely zero of them in a meaningless league game as they celebrated the title. Ergo, they can f**k off if they think any of the divisions below will be strongarmed into accepting them. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Average age of player in Scottish top flight is 27, which is in top 10 leagues in Europe for oldest average age. See on CIES football stats website.

To me a factor in this is the smaller team  leagues. So top flight b teams despite being around for several years have had little positive impact for youth development