Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

3 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

I think the 'easy route' against Slovakia could be a nightmare for england.

They'll be expecting to win and win handsomely against a team that got 4 points themselves. 

They got 4 points as a result of two Belgium goals being VAR’d off (one for being a toenail offside and one for the very questionable handball in the build up) and a blatantly carved out 1-1 draw with Romania.

I don’t think Slovakia are any good. It’s Switzerland in the QF and Austria in the SF that England need to worry about. 

34 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Back in '16, England were delighted to avoid Portugal and get Iceland instead...

The final day of a surreal holiday in Berlin.  Getting quizzed by the Germans about the Brexit vote, invited to watch the Germany vs Slovakia game in the back of a pub full of friendly and enthusiastic locals and the air of despondency as we were waiting to get on the plane during this fixture.

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

Do they, though?

Southgate sends the players out. They've scored two goals, one was a header and one was via a mistake by a Danish player.

Of their 3 keepers only one plays week in and week out and he almost got relegated.

No left back. A centerback for Crystal Palace and one who sits on the Manchester City bench.

In central midfield there's Rice and Trent (a full back) and Mainoo and Wharton (2 players with a combined 40 EPL appearances) and then there's Gallagher (another no 10).

Gareth Southgate has to set England up like this. If England open up and go for it, they'll be picked off.

I hope the England fans get what they want. I hope Southgate leaves and he's replaced by an attack minded manager.

They'll be in trouble.

If every domestic league could only play domestic players, the EPL wouldn't be in the top 5 of the best leagues In Europe.

England are overly reliant on Harry Kane. In the lead up to these Euros hus back was so badly injured he was bed ridden.

No he didn't.

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

No he didn't.

I will take Pickford on both ability and consistency for England.  I have struggled with most of the tournament keepers we have had e.g. past it, lack of form, but no complaints about him.  If Southall had been English,  he would have been number one for two World Cups in 1986 and 1990 because he was the best keeper in the league.  I also wish Kevin Ratcliffe had been born in Chester.  He was rapid and would have caught Maradona.🙂

9 minutes ago, Chripper said:

With 7 games to go Everton were 5 points above the bottom three

Screenshot_20240627_160810_Firefox.jpg

And with 0 games to play they were 14 points clear of the bottom 3, which would have been 22 points without the deduction.

2 hours ago, Red Kite said:

I will take Pickford on both ability and consistency for England.  I have struggled with most of the tournament keepers we have had e.g. past it, lack of form, but no complaints about him.  If Southall had been English,  he would have been number one for two World Cups in 1986 and 1990 because he was the best keeper in the league.  I also wish Kevin Ratcliffe had been born in Chester.  He was rapid and would have caught Maradona.🙂

It's mad to think that you guys had Clemence, Shilton and Woods all at pretty much the same time. Then came Seaman.

Four world class keepers.

Then came Robinson, James, Pickford, etc.

Huge drop off.

Kinda like how we once had Goram and Leighton. Not been the same since.

8 minutes ago, Chripper said:

It's mad to think that you guys had Clemence, Shilton and Woods all at pretty much the same time. Then came Seaman.

Huge drop off.

Woods and Seaman weren't world class imo.  Very good keepers though!!

Peter Shilton is one of the all-time greatest ever goalkeeper's. 

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Huge drop off.

We tended to assume English keepers were a real strong point, although how good the actual depth was is up for debate.  The keepers once we started getting players in from overseas were decent enough, but it undermined this assumption somewhat.  Even though I am not a United fan, Jim Leighton's woes were quite upsetting because we knew him as the Aberdeen keeper in their excellent side.  The English press liked to focus on the lifestyle choices of Andy Goram.

2 hours ago, Derryboy62 said:

Woods and Seaman weren't world class imo.  Very good keepers though!!

Peter Shilton is one of the all-time greatest ever goalkeeper's. 

Chris Woods was unlucky with the time he was playing.  However, he has had a great career.  I can feel myself going Roy Keane here.  Seaman is a likeable lad, but I also thought he was over-rated and did not enjoy the whole Safe Hands thing.

No doubting the credentials of peak Shilton.

Uefa are desperate for England to win something. Its not good for European football for England to be potless after so many years.
It's bad for the brand.
It's like the premier league looking to put a new name on the league title each year.
England are a big noise on the international football corridors of power.
That last euros was literally built for England to win it.
The only thing now stopping England from winning anything is the fa and the manager. They will only win it when it is corrupt because they (fa and mgr) are inept beyond belief.

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

We tended to assume English keepers were a real strong point, although how good the actual depth was is up for debate.  The keepers once we started getting players in from overseas were decent enough, but it undermined this assumption somewhat.  Even though I am not a United fan, Jim Leighton's woes were quite upsetting because we knew him as the Aberdeen keeper in their excellent side.  The English press liked to focus on the lifestyle choices of Andy Goram.

Talent wise Jim Leighton was as good as Schmeichel. The only real thing that separated them was self confidence and character.

Schmeichel was/is extremely confident and comfortable in his skin, whereas Leighton was/is a fragile personality. He never really recovered after The FA Final business.

He did well for Hibs and to get back into the Scotland squad so kudos to him for that.

On 27/06/2024 at 10:27, Red Kite said:

The final day of a surreal holiday in Berlin.  Getting quizzed by the Germans about the Brexit vote, invited to watch the Germany vs Slovakia game in the back of a pub full of friendly and enthusiastic locals and the air of despondency as we were waiting to get on the plane during this fixture.

I was in England. I was able to suppress the giggles otherwise I'd've had to disguise the accent.