Gibraltar Vs Scotland 3rd June 2024, Euros warm up

Posted (edited)

I’m spooked from the injuries to Dykes, Hickey and Ferguson so I’d just be resting a lot of key players for this one and giving minutes to players coming back from injuries.

Gunn

Porteous-Hanley-Cooper

McCrorie-Jack-Gilmour-Taylor

Forrest-Shankland-Armstrong

Souttar, McKenna, Ralston, McLean, Adams and Doak to feature from the bench but I’d be wrapping up Tierney, Hendry, Robertson, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn and Christie in cotton wool.

Edited by JS_FFC

A lot of people may not agree because Dykes seems to be split opinion with the Scotland fans. But im really gutted about his injury when he plays he brings others into the game has brilliant hold up play, his finishing is not to bad either. Overall just seems a right handful for other teams to cope with would like to hear some other opinions on this but i think its a blow to the forward options we have.

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The biggest question for me is if we win will the winless run chat end? or will context be added as Gibraltar are a bunch of mugs?

It absolutely won’t end, in fact I think it’ll be hyped up after we lose against Finland - given we will basically have a side playing to avoid injury I really can’t see anything other than that outcome. 

Surely the crowd will manage to give the team a positive send off to Germany regardless of the Finland result though. 

Posted (edited)

hopefully. I always find the 'losing run' to 'winless run' to '1 win in x games' chat to be selective. Casting thing in their worst light.

Same for winning runs or competitive winning runs. its all spin. I'm just hoping to continue our 2 year unbeaten run in the month of June personally.

Also if we win the next two games then what difference did the winless run make? Is that it over then? 

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)

I don't see us playing a back 5 tomorrow. I think the northern Ireland game showed how limited it can be against an extremely low block. Not that I think we would struggle in any shape really

I think we will start in a 4-3-3 with Forrest, Adams, Jack, Hanley, Cooper and Doak getting minutes in the tank. 

Think it makes sense to practice for Plan B and maybe go back to our usual formation for the Finland game.

Edited by MarkoRaj

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

hopefully. I always find the 'losing run' to 'winless run' to '1 win in x games' chat to be selective. Casting thing in their worst light.

Same for winning runs or competitive winning runs. its all spin. I'm just hoping to continue our 2 year unbeaten run in the month of June personally.

Also if we win the next two games then what difference did the winless run make? Is that it over then? 

A win against Gilbraltar won't change any perception on anything, it's a pub team like your Andorra's, San Marino etc. 

If the winless run was backed up by solid performances then there would be little complaining but we've had a number of underwhelming games recently in part due to playing world class international teams and having a few injuries and it's put a dampner on things. I cant see us performing much better in the game against Finland due to players trying to avoid injury but If we up the performances in the euros then I think majority of supporters will be pleased again.

12 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Gibraltar aren't the mugs they often get made out to be. Given our recent form, any sort of win would be a good result.

When teams like Wales and Ireland are beating them 4-0 then I''m pretty sure they are in the mugs category

Armstrong, Doak and McTominay are still nursing injuries so they'll be left in Scotland.

Scotland generally can't play friendlies. Last time we won was threw years ago to Luxembourg.

We'll probably win 0-1 or maybe 0-2. Regardless of the result, no one should read too much into the result. It's a glorified training session. I would be surprised if there wasn't an agreement not to tackle.

35 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Armstrong, Doak and McTominay are still nursing injuries so they'll be left in Scotland.

Scotland generally can't play friendlies. Last time we won was threw years ago to Luxembourg.

We'll probably win 0-1 or maybe 0-2. Regardless of the result, no one should read too much into the result. It's a glorified training session. I would be surprised if there wasn't an agreement not to tackle.

I’ve only seen him saying Souttar, McTominay and Armstrong…

Anyway with Clarke saying it’ll be players needing minutes that will play most, I imagine we’ll see Gunn, Porteous, Hanley, Cooper, McLean, Jack and Adams all start. Obviously both Ralston and McCrorie haven’t played too much recently either so he might even chuck one of them in elsewhere to get more minutes into them. 

We’ve never been particularly impressive in friendlies but a lot of the data is distorted by who we play.

Of our friendlies since we played Peru and Mexico, we’ve played France, England, Netherlands (2), Portugal, and Belgium.

We lost to Turkey away and the recent NI disaster. We drew 2-2 away to Austria having thrown away a 2-0 lead, and Poland stole a point with blatant simulation.

Friendlies are pretty irregular these days, but I tend not to read too much into them. Certainly, since the last Euros we’ve lost 2/20 qualifiers and only 1 UNL game, and 1 playoff.

The last few games have been disappointing, but if we’re to ‘revert to type’ it would be a significant improvement, not a case of continuance.

3-0 is probably is par for tomorrow, with any scoreline below that needing a justification. Any score above would be pleasing, but obviously very much relative.

Any win with a decent display against Finland would be more than acceptable.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I’ve only seen him saying Souttar, McTominay and Armstrong…

Anyway with Clarke saying it’ll be players needing minutes that will play most, I imagine we’ll see Gunn, Porteous, Hanley, Cooper, McLean, Jack and Adams all start. Obviously both Ralston and McCrorie haven’t played too much recently either so he might even chuck one of them in elsewhere to get more minutes into them. 

Yeah. The media print said Souttar but STV news said Doak. No idea who to believe. Suppose we'll see tomorrow.

Agreed. That's why I would have picked a bigger squad. Seeing the likes of Conway, Barron, King, etc, intermingled with the established players, it would've been an incentive for the kids.