Line up face Germany

We are capable of beating Germany, and we are definitely capable of getting a point. Obviously it's more likely that we get nothing, but we're not San Marino turning up to play Argentina.

It's 1 defeat in 12 competitive games over the best part of 2 years, and that was a very narrow loss away to Spain which could very easily have gone the other way. Germany are not as good as Spain, even if they are better than us and indeed any other team we've played in that period.

On 04/06/2024 at 13:12, Kevin Finnerty said:

How do you think our seasoned core players would react to being told that they'd best just sit out the highest-profile game of their international careers because they're not good enough to even hope for a positive result?

How do you think the more peripheral players would react to being sent out to take a humiliating battering at the start of the campaign to reduce the risk of Scott McTominay hurting his ankle or whatever?

It would be hugely embarrassing and demotivating for everyone involved, from players to supporters, and would mark us out as a totally unserious side with no business even being in Germany.

Yep, there's a human element that can't be ignored. Clarke referred to that when discussing that he wasn't selected for a tournament saying he understands that better since becoming a manager. 

On paper it might seem obvious to be more ruthless, but in practice it can be destructive. If he had been that way from day-1 it's different, but he built the team from the ground up, he had to rely on these boys.

I have seen some wacky stuff on the internet in my time but suggesting we rest players in the actual opener takes the fucking biscuit. I think some people should go for a wee lie down.

Clearly the plan has to be to sit back, absorb some pressure, try and nick a goal from a set piece or on the counter. A draw would be a great result, a smash and grab win would be unreal, a narrow defeat isn’t the end of the world, but we don’t want to be getting beat by 3 or more goals. Just try and stay alive for the other two games when we’ll likely see more of the ball.

I think there are three jerseys that are up for debate if, touch wood, we don’t pick up any further injuries.

The first is do you go Hendry RCB, Hanley CCB, or Porteous RCB and Hendry CCB. It’s harsh on Porteous but I’d favour the experience of Hanley in a game of this magnitude.

The second choice is whether to have McTominay partnering McGregor in central midfield with Christie further forward, or do you bench Christie, bring Gilmour into midfield and push McTominay further up.

And then up front. Tried and trusted Che Adams, the best finisher in Lawrence Shankland, or do you pull the wildcard stunner and play a false nine?

I don’t think games like this really suit Gilmour. He needs time on the ball: I don’t really think they suit Adams either and I’d have started Dykes if not for his injury, but I still think I’d play it more safe with Adams than game on Shankland or something more galaxy brained. I think you need someone with good hold up play because it could be a lonely shift up there but I just think Che Adams is the sensible choice.

So for me:

Gunn

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Ralston-McTominay-McGregor-Robertson

Christie-McGinn

Adams

3 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I have seen some wacky stuff on the internet in my time but suggesting we rest players in the actual opener takes the fucking biscuit. I think some people should go for a wee lie down.

I know.

I've read a few people suggest Gilmour be left out for the Germany match.

I usually respect everyone's opinion, but that would be a bad idea.

Germany press high and they're all with the gegenpressing, we need players who are press resistant, and Gilmour is the best at it.

He had a sluggish end to the season so I hope he plays himself into form.

On 04/06/2024 at 09:19, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

They,  again,  struggled to break down an organised team last night.   They are clearly better than us and should win but I don't think they're any better than the Spain team who we played well against twice in qualifying.  It's a chance to put pressure on them and hopefully catch them cold. 

Gunn

McCrorie Porteous Hendry Tierney Robertson 

McGregor McGinn

McTominay  Christie

Adams

A greenie , but Gilmour for Christie

23 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Clearly the plan has to be to sit back, absorb some pressure, try and nick a goal from a set piece or on the counter. A draw would be a great result, a smash and grab win would be unreal, a narrow defeat isn’t the end of the world, but we don’t want to be getting beat by 3 or more goals. Just try and stay alive for the other two games when we’ll likely see more of the ball.

I think there are three jerseys that are up for debate if, touch wood, we don’t pick up any further injuries.

The first is do you go Hendry RCB, Hanley CCB, or Porteous RCB and Hendry CCB. It’s harsh on Porteous but I’d favour the experience of Hanley in a game of this magnitude.

The second choice is whether to have McTominay partnering McGregor in central midfield with Christie further forward, or do you bench Christie, bring Gilmour into midfield and push McTominay further up.

And then up front. Tried and trusted Che Adams, the best finisher in Lawrence Shankland, or do you pull the wildcard stunner and play a false nine?

I don’t think games like this really suit Gilmour. He needs time on the ball: I don’t really think they suit Adams either and I’d have started Dykes if not for his injury, but I still think I’d play it more safe with Adams than game on Shankland or something more galaxy brained. I think you need someone with good hold up play because it could be a lonely shift up there but I just think Che Adams is the sensible choice.

So for me:

Gunn

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Ralston-McTominay-McGregor-Robertson

Christie-McGinn

Adams

McCrorie  and. Gilmour in , instead of Ralston and Christie

On 04/06/2024 at 09:31, itzdrk said:

I quite fancy our left hand side against their right hand side. 

Reveal hidden contents

I do also quite fancy their left hand side against our right hand side. 

Yes but a fear thier left hand side against  our right hand side 

The line up and personel should be as close to how we approached the Spain game as possible. Friendly results over the past 6 months or so would suggest that the Germans have got their act together and we've gone off the boil but prior to that, you'd put the Germans in the same category as Spain - plenty of talent but really seem to struggle against solid, well-organised sides who sit deep, surrender possession, and counter them.

Form in friendlies doesn't chanage how we should play against them and it's absolutely worth trying to get the best result possible because. if for no other reason, if we finish 3rd, qualification could hinge on goal difference.

Gunn

Ralston - Porteous - Hendry - Tierney - Robertson

McTominay - Gilmour - McGregor - McGinn

Adams

2 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Hanley has done nothing to displace Porteous, can’t understand Clarke looking to play him, which he obviously is

Hanley has missed a lot of this season through injury, I think Clarke is just giving him minutes in order to increase his match fitness incase he's needed.

12 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Gunn

Porto - Hendry - Tierney

Christie - Gilmour - McGregor - Robertson

McTominay -Adams - McGinn

Christie at right wingback? I wouldn't say no to that.

He's the kind of player that you'd trust no matter where he played.

21 minutes ago, Depechekillie said:

No Ralston ?

Thought he was good going forward last night but all Finlands attacks that scuppered us came from his area of the pitch. Sané is clearly going to be more of a threat than anything Finland have so it’s an area of the pitch we have to think about.

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if McTominay doesn’t make next Friday so it might not be an option 

McTominay not playing a single minute in either friendly makes me think he might be on the bench for this one. I think it saves Clarke a bit of a dilemma and we can chuck him on for the last half hour to have him fully fit for the last two group games.

Gunn

Porteous - Hanley - Tierney

Ralston - Gilmour - McGregor - Robertson

Christie - Adams - McGinn

I think that Gilmour can be the guy to take us up a level against pot 1 sides, as he showed in his excellent performance against the Netherlands, however there's an obvious risk involved as we would be sacrificing some physicality and athleticism in the middle of the park. If we want to genuinely compete in this game - which some signs point towards - then I'd pick Gilmour, but if we want to play more like we did against Spain then it should be McTominay in midfield and Christie in the forward line. 

Adams barely playing over the 2 friendlies was really strange. Is there any injuries or knocks he's carying that we're not aware of?

He can't be starting Shonklund over Adams against Germany. Please be sensible Steve.