Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Good thing I never said that then! 

Mcginn basically played as a 2nd striker anyway. 

This is all well and good saying this as a fan, but the back 5 did do this several times throughout the game, with ralston, hendry, Hanley, Robertson all guilty and tierney shanked one out for a corner in the first half. 

We had them under pressure for long spells but also looked very vulnerable to counter attacks, them targeting ralston and quick balls through our lines. 

I can absolutely understand why clarke didn’t want to risk too much chasing the win, even though it can be frustrating to watch. 

Yes, they were all different shades of shit. Hence the need for midfield and attack to press up the field and take the strain of a barely functional defence.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There's a lot of fortune in football, that's for sure.  No-one will much remember the overhit back passes from Henry and Tierney which resulted in corners which came to nothing, but Tony Ralston's international career may now become defined in a polar opposite fashion to that of Archie Gemmill.

The guy stood up after his mistake and that was probably all that we could ask. 

That's it for me with Ralston. If you make a mistake you have to move on and he managed to do that. In a 3 game group the effect of randomness is huge and that's why I'm reluctant to go in hard if we don't make it out of the group. That game last night could have ended up won, lost or drawn. The performance would still have been the performance regardless of the result, but the narrative would have changed wildly based only on the result. Which is crazy too.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I thought we were pretty crap in the first half but good in the second. Overall, I found it to be very stressful due to a lack of control, however that was also a result of us pressing high and Switzerland having players who could exploit that. Any suggestion of us being "negative" is thoughtless imo.

It seemed that we'd seen the back of the 3-4-1-2 after getting torn apart by Ukraine, but, after a first half where I thought Switzerland played round the front three a bit too easily, you could begin to see why we went with it. McTominay could do a job on Xhaka and the front two could try and shut off passing lanes whenever Switzerland built with a three. They managed to get overloads in the middle and out wide a bit too often, though that appeared to become less frequent in the second half. While McGinn didn't do much on the ball, I thought that he did a good job out of possession, and I would probably say the same for McTominay. 

My brother said the same thing as you, but I thought we were better in the first half. I agree with the rest of your paragraph. I can't remember who, but someone on here had said earlier we wouldn't see that shape again. That's obviously just recency bias in motion: a phenomenon that has huge traction amongst football fans I've noticed. Just because we've not used it in a while doesn't mean it's not still in the toolbox.

I've done up to the first goal: we had 34% possession and 26 turnovers. It was quite a stop-start game. In that period we turned the ball over every 5 seconds and Switzerland turned it over every 10 seconds. We turned it over in our third ~20% of the time, which is okay. Same for the Swiss.

Spoiler

image.png.da999beaf2a6d580c9bc238e191f001b.png

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Therein lies the problem. Folk think because Dykes doesn't run around like a headless chicken that he's not as productive as Adams. If you run about you always look busy but it doesn't necessarily mean you're being productive. 

You're confusing me with an OF fan m8. When they're in a Scotland shirt they're Scotland players, I don't give a toss what club they're at. I've criticised Adams more ffs. 

He gave Gilmour a poor pass aye, but he calmed it down and gave Ralston an easier ball to deal with. Look at the stills someone posted above. There's no blaming Handley for Ralston's inability to play a simple ball up the line/kick it out (ETA, having looked again, even given the ball back to Gilmour who was asking for it). Playing a pass back without even looking is criminal at any level of football, nevermind International level. 

Agree. Lazy maybe isn't the right word but I never thought Dykes was doing enough or was good enough, yet he does get the goals.

Shankland when I saw him with Dun Utd a few years ago was similar - did little or nothing but then popped up with an equaliser then winner in the last 2 minutes of a game. He's different now at Hearts and his workrate is immense not to mention his knack for scoring. Playing him for only 3 minutes is crazy by Clarke.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Don't watch much senior football, so don't really know much about the players other than who they are and where they play.

My take on the first two games; Scottish players are the most unskilful, untechnical, unintelligent bunch of players I have watched at many a tournament.

Some of them play like it's the first time they have ever seen a football. There is a total lack of awareness of where they are on the park and what is happening around them. Basic football intelligence.

What are they being taught from a young age. Where have all the ballers gone or does football get coached out of young players now.

However, still support them till my dying day and bring on the Magyars.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

So the general consensus is I am talking shite.

Bit if context would be appreciated. I mostly watch non-league so don't see this highly skilled professionals very often.

5 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Bit if context would be appreciated. I mostly watch non-league so don't see this highly skilled professionals very often.

You've been found out for the absolute Imposter that you are at this level of the game.

8 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I can provide some context to my red dot. Your post was absolute shite from start to finish.

I watched the entire 90 minutes ago. (I'm cool that way...) 

It's amazing how much different a football match is from watching it with fresh eyes than it is from nervous eyes. 

On first viewing I though the trio at the back were akin to the three stoogies.  On second viewing, they were OK. Not great, but solid enough to give them pass marks. 

On first viewing Gilmour was alright. Not great. Certainly not how he is either Brighton.  On second viewing he was really good. He controlled the tempo and showed his usual composure.  

Scott McTominay played a blinder. It was like there was two of him on the pitch. One who shadowed Xhaka and one who was in the middle of Adams and McGinn. 

There's a reason Ole, Mourinho, Rangnick and ten Hag have given Scott 250+ appearances at Manchester United. You assign him a job and he does it without moaning or being belligerent. You can trust him.

McGinn and Adams are taking unfair criticism. Both worked their socks off and did a lot of unselfish work.

Gunn was back to Qualification Angus Gunn. 

Robertson and McGregor were both excellent.  

My only concern is Anthony Ralston. To his credit he did recover from him mistake, but he had a couple of dodgy moments where he let his man cut inside to shoot. 

All in all it was a really good performance against a side who are far more experienced at tournament football: 

Switzerland: average age - 30.4 - 778 caps - 84 goals

Scotland: average age - 28.4 - 459 caps - 45 goals 

The good thing is that we now know what we need to do. Beat Hungary and that will most probably see us through. 

In Euro 20 every team that ended up with 4 points progressed to the next round.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I guess if you take into consideration the recipient of the pass then you make an argument it was. Players should be aware of who they are passing it to. 

Giving that pass to Gilmour - not a hospital pass

Giving it to Ralston - hospital pass

3 hours ago, Lex said:

It's bouncing, it's fast, and he has a player on him. And it's Tony Ralson, that's a hospital pass for me. 

Nah a hospital pass is when your having to commit yourself fully to getting the ball and risking being injured, when you barely have time to get a touch on it and you know you're getting clobbered.

Suicidal passing it to Ralston would be a better description, knowing how shite he is he'd prob give the ball away.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 minute ago, SlayerX said:

It's amazing how much different a football match is from watching it with fresh eyes than it is from nervous eyes. 

It's a totally different experience, it's more clear headed. Added to that you miss so much watching it only once. There's an incredible amount of things going on concurrently during a football match. Same with a good film, song, book or even a place: The more you revisit it the more depth is revealed. 

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

How did anyone feel getting the train before the fan walk last night? 

Felt it was dangerously uncomfortable trying to get onto the train. 

It seemed to be raw luck that nothing bad happened. Absolutely no crowd management.

Other than trains that was an all timer away trip. Every tournament should be in Germany.

For me the main thing about last night was that we looked like we deserved to be there. Could have won it and could have lost it but the optimist in me says we can still move up a gear.

A weird one. 

Before the game and numerous times in the second half I was very worried we were going to lose and be all but out. 

However , it does feel like a game we could have nicked but they are probably saying the same on fondue and toblerone.com so a draw probably about right. 

Decent response  after Friday but not great. But we are still alive and all to play for. 

At least the task facing us against Hungary is uncomplicated ( but not necessarily easy). Any win is required. It sometimes confuses matter  when a draw could be enough. 

Should  be a very open game as a draw suits neither team. 

14 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Only one 3rd placed team in Euro 20 qualified to the next round with 3 points.

In total, three 3rd placed teams finished with three points in Euro 20.

It's possible to qualify with 3 points, but I wouldn't bank on it, especially with our goal difference.*

100% of the teams who finished with 4+ points qualified.

We need to win to guarantee a place in the next round.

*D'oh!

Screenshot_20240620_000815_Firefox.jpg

Imagine we qualified with 2 points?

Given Croatia and Albania are on one point each and the dream scenario now would be Georgia/Czechia and Poland/Austria all draw in these fixtures then get best by the big 2 in the groups in round 3 of games then a draw would be enough on Sunday to have us in the pot, pending the pumping of those other 6 teams.

easy peasy Steve Clarke knighted 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

It's no surprise that the mistake leading to the goal involved 2 players with the least amount of game time in the last season.

Hanley overall was solid but some of his passing was poor. His pass to gilmour was brutal but we still should've dealt with it.

Ralston is only in the squad because our first AND second choice fullbacks are out. It was a bad pass but an outrageous finish all the same.

He kept it fairly simple after that. 

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

You seem intensely dim. 

I’m going to second that.

if we got rid of Clarke before the last game, we’d be a laughing stock, and rightly so.

Also players fall over the ball all the time -football is hard, in case you’ve never played the game - even the best players.  McGregor did well to recover and play an intelligent pass that led to a goal.  Not McTominay’s best finishing, but proof positive of the fact that if you put a shot on target, it can go in (however it ends up getting in).

1 minute ago, Braesoyetts said:

Not McTominay’s best finishing, but proof positive of the fact that if you put a shot on target, it can go in (however it ends up getting in).

Looking at that goal back Schars error is even worse than Ralstons. It's a tame shot going straight at the keeper that he is going to catch never mind save, and he just sticks his foot out and boots it in the top corner. It's a really bizarre error from such an experienced player, good. 

17 hours ago, S7C said:

It’s better, but celebrating a draw and the commentary team begging for one since half time sums up our mentality.

Even Clarke at the end there telling them to calm down instead of going for the win.

I hope we can do it but we’re the poorest team at the tournament based on the games I’ve watched. Very, very negative and quite limited. We play football from the last century.

Georgia are literally in the tournament, I’m not sure if you remember them being in our qualifying group. 

16 hours ago, Luddite said:

Everything I read the week before the tournament was that Shankland wasn’t good enough for the national squad and Che Adams had to start.

Adams scores a goal every 4 games in the English Championship and a goal every 5 games for Scotland.

I don’t care if it’s an English league, I’d play the in-form striker who’s scored 3 in 12 for Scotland and almost 2 goals every 3 games for Hearts….including 11 against Celtic/Rangers where you’d assume his team didn’t have the bulk of possession.

You’ve literally made that up. Adams generally sits at about one goal in four/five in the Premiership, not the championship. 

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

How did anyone feel getting the train before the fan walk last night? 

Felt it was dangerously uncomfortable trying to get onto the train. 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

On the songs, the posters above are right. I know I've gone on about on a few different match threads, but it's disgusting and needs to stop. 

Travel into Munich was fine for us as we got on a station early, though plenty on here have said that it was a fiasco and that's the impression I got passing through other stations. Entry into the stadium was a shambles, though, with a swarm of people just getting funnelled into an area with no direction whatsoever. 

Koln Hbf was incredibly dangerous getting to the stadium. More and more Scots started arriving and forcing the crowds towards where line of stewards blocking the stairs, there were random tourists/locals trying to push through the crowds, then some stewards saying that one stairwell was closed by the time we got to the front so tried to redirect us back to the crowd of Scotland fans heading in our direction. Turns out the stewards were talking shite. When we made it onto the platform it was empty and the train had loads of space, so it seemed like they were trying to avoid the overcrowding on the platform and trains but that just resulted in another dangerous situation in the station. I ended up snapping at one point. 

I reckon we'll just end up walking to the game in Stuttgart, as none of us want to experience a repeat of that.

Munich was absolutely horrific, I was at the fan march very early last night so that made things easier - the way back again though was awful. The lack of organisation is utterly wild.

We’ll be walking to Stuttgart  too - trains/trams moving at a snails pace while crushed to f**k for 45 minutes is just too much to bear again. 

As a last point - reading back through the thread during the game last night, and the absolutely unhinged seethe is utterly wild - could have thought you were reading about the Germany game. 

35 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

As a last point - reading back through the thread during the game last night, and the absolutely unhinged seethe is utterly wild - could have thought you were reading about the Germany game. 

At least the chat is football and not the national anthem. Progress.