Scotland starting XI the future.

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

McKenna in goal, Bowat and Morrison as your centre-backs, Wilson up top. Not sure about the other winger though. You could play Doig there, but then I'm not sure about the other fullback.

I could see Doig moving into centre back at some point, think he would be good there.

On 26/06/2024 at 22:46, Butters Scotch said:

Georgia probably got two players who would get into the Scotland team, no way that's easier to build around than what we have.

Giorgi Mamardashvili

Khvicha Kvaratskhelia

Luka Lochoshvili

Georges Mikautadze

All easily start for Scotland before you even get into the players that are much of a muchness. 

33 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Giorgi Mamardashvili

Khvicha Kvaratskhelia

Luka Lochoshvili

Georges Mikautadze

All easily start for Scotland before you even get into the players that are much of a muchness. 

This is the same team we finished well ahead of in the euros qualifiers, 2 definites and MAYBE 4 at a push would get into the first 11 

32 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Lochoshvili. A guy that that was on the bench for a Serie B team for half of last season? 

Folk need to behave themselves.

I thought Loch Oshvili was somewhere north-east of Ullapool. So clearly eligible for Scotland.

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Lochoshvili. A guy that that was on the bench for a Serie B team for half of last season? 

Folk need to behave themselve

Maybe Liam Henderson is the touch of quality Scotland need in midfield. 

15 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

This is the same team we finished well ahead of in the euros qualifiers, 2 definites and MAYBE 4 at a push would get into the first 11 

2 definite? 

Which of the Valenica goalkeeper, Lyon forward and Napoli forward isn't getting into our team? 🤔

42 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

2 definite? 

Which of the Valenica goalkeeper, Lyon forward and Napoli forward isn't getting into our team? 🤔

Georges Mikautadze... only just joined Lyon so remains to be seen if he's any good for them and he would have the same problem as our other strikers with a lack of service 

56 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Georges Mikautadze... only just joined Lyon so remains to be seen if he's any good for them and he would have the same problem as our other strikers with a lack of service 

This whole thread is bizarre. We know who Georgia are. Remember them? Play in white with red trim, pishing rain, late night?
They didn't bin off the whole team in the last 12 months and replace them with ringers from La Liga. They snuck into the Euros via a back door. And do you know what, they had a go. Well done.

34 minutes ago, immcinto said:

This whole thread is bizarre. We know who Georgia are. Remember them? Play in white with red trim, pishing rain, late night?
They didn't bin off the whole team in the last 12 months and replace them with ringers from La Liga. They snuck into the Euros via a back door. And do you know what, they had a go. Well done.

Aye totally agree with you, they are very average but seem to have a decent coach and in one off games anything can happen. 

I'm not sure why folk are really getting at with the Georgia comparisons.

They snuck into the Euros via the weakest play-off route after absolutely bombing in the qualifiers.

In the Euros, they were beaten by Turkey, slapped about by Spain, and got a draw against a very poor Czechia side. Nothing particularly spectacular there.

The win against Portugal is what why people are talking about them. As great as that was for them, they got an enormous stroke of luck by facing a second string Portugal side who'd already won the group and were resting before the knockouts.

That's not to knock them or what they achieved but let's get some perspective.

They have three players who'd walk into our starting 11. There's maybe 1 or 2 you could quibble over but we have better players and are a better team.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

They snuck into the Euros via the weakest play-off route after absolutely bombing in the qualifiers.

In the Euros, they were beaten by Turkey, slapped about by Spain, and got a draw against a very poor Czechia side. Nothing particularly spectacular there.

The win against Portugal is what why people are talking about them. As great as that was for them, they got an enormous stroke of luck by facing a second string Portugal side who'd already won the group and were resting before the knockouts.

They have three players who'd walk into our starting 11. There's maybe 1 or 2 you could quibble over but we have better players and are a better team.

We saw ourselves the difference between a first and second string for even a top international side. We gave Spain 2nds a doing just over a year before the tournament. I'm not sure many would put a tenner on us achieving that against their first 11 at this point.

5 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Aye totally agree with you, they are very average but seem to have a decent coach and in one off games anything can happen. 

Didn't look up to much in qualifying but their coach had three weeks with them to impose himself at the tournament. What on earth is Clarke doing with that time? Practising set piece drills?

On 19/07/2024 at 14:47, Gordon EF said:

I broadly agree with you but with that win against Portugal (whose second string are still a very good team who should have been able to win) at a major finals, they achieved something we haven't managed in 28 years.  So I think it's valid to discuss how they managed it, especially if they are not as good as us (as the qualifiers showed). My draft theory is that they did it by attacking, and having a coach who isn't a massive breeks-soiler at finals.

I also think they might start to contend to qualify by regular routes in future as they are clearly producing some talented players, who will now have more belief.