Postal votes

On 01/07/2024 at 12:22, MEADOWXI said:

Postal vote arrived on Friday, completed and posted back. 

There a definite issues specific to Scotland with turnaround for these and fully expect problems with staffing for Polling Stations and counts this week as there is a sizable amount of the usual staff on holiday.

The growing use of postal votes throughout the UK is also an issue, according to the BBC Newscast the PV level is now 20%, and that a lot of admin. 

Maybe time for the Returning Officers /Association of Electoral Administrators to demand a longer specified notice period for general elections. This, what is it, 25 working days (5 weeks?) is nonsense. Maybe an 8 week minimum instead?

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

Maybe time for the Returning Officers /Association of Electoral Administrators to demand a longer specified notice period for general elections. This, what is it, 25 working days (5 weeks?) is nonsense. Maybe an 8 week minimum instead?

God no. It's bad enough this shitshow lasts for at least 4 weeks, never mind 8.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

God no. It's bad enough this shitshow lasts for at least 4 weeks, never mind 8.

Oh, I don't know... A few more weeks to fact check some of the bilge we've been hearing might be of long term benefit!

The Civil Service would carry on running the country anyway - and it might give "Reform UK" extra time to check out which of their candidates aren't fekkin roasters. I'd reckon maybe as many a 2% might be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, given time to rehearse.

Now The Guardian are reporting there could be court challenges in close run seats. What a mess. If we have another case like when Stephen Gethins won by 2 votes in North East Fife, then it's possible we might even see whole constituencies run again.

Posted (edited)

My son had hassle voting on behalf of his mother and me.  Person on the table he was told to go told said we weren’t registered, quick phone call to a helpful woman in Forfar got it all sorted out.  The person in charge of a polling station should know the drill for proxy voting.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^The Honourable Member for Lanzarote

Yes badly worded, now amended.

And I have never been honourable.