Lake Garda

kaney

Heading here in a couple of weeks (13th) for the first time. I’ve noticed it’s quite close to a lot of football clubs, Verona, Atalanta etc. 

Has anyone been, recommend anything to do, and if there’s any preseason games to take in whilst there?

I’ve done some research and it seems a few of the bigger clubs head off to camps to play a few games.

26 minutes ago, kaney said:

Heading here in a couple of weeks (13th) for the first time. I’ve noticed it’s quite close to a lot of football clubs, Verona, Atalanta etc. 

Has anyone been, recommend anything to do, and if there’s any preseason games to take in whilst there?

I’ve done some research and it seems a few of the bigger clubs head off to camps to play a few games.

I've stayed around there a few times when I've been to the Italian Grand Prix at monza

If you are planning on going into Bergamo/Milan or in that direction check the trains, they are/we're doing massive upgrades on the tracks so a bit of chaos Italian style is always fun🤣

Verona is a nice day trip and look forward to the hordes day tripping from Milan ect but it's nice and chilled in the evening but a bit more pricey than Italy as whole for eating out.Well worth checking for the early evening meal deals.Its a total chill out type of area so take loads of books and just relax by the lake and take in the scenery.

Been to quite a few games over there aswell but no idea how pre season works but Atalanta is about a 20 min walk from Bergamo train station and a bit of dump in all truth but quite good on match days 

Been to Garda, Bardolino and Riva and enjoyed it every time. 

Usual stuff to are the usual, boat trips, day trip to Venice, day trip to Milan etc. If you have a car then head to Borghetto near Villagio sul Minco for some amazing sage and butter pasta then up to the gardens at Parco Sigurta. If you fancy an organised trip but want to avoid the crowds I'm Venice or Verona then they often do day trips into the Dolemites which is a nice chilled day and you get a wee cool breeze and some spectacular views round Passo Pordoi. There's a cable car you can get at one point too. If you're young or have kids then Gardaland theme park is decent - it obviously gets very busy and it is expensive although if you go later there's a reduced ticket price I think. Couple of proper rollercoasters and some water rides to cool you down. If you're staying in Garda then the walk down to Bardolino then onto Lazise is really nice and fairly level path with beaches, lidos, cafes etc on the way. Lazise itself is a really pretty old town with a beauty harbour. Some German and Italian teams have training camps in Riva but I'm not sure if you'll see any action or friendlies. Enjoy it though, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Heading to Garda town for a fortnight on the same date, some great tips and advice already, it's a superb area for a holiday, very chilled and relaxing.  Nice locals, stunning scenery and top notch scran and peeve.

Edited by wipetheflair

I used to go to Garda every year during my childhood/teenage years but haven't been for years (in fact 2006 was the last time I was there - at the same time Italy won the World Cup). I am not sure what's changed in that time, but it is a very beautiful part of the world. Lovely scenery. I'd love to go back there. 

If you go paddling in the lake watch out for water snakes. They're harmless, but bricks were shat.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll definitely be trying a few of them, especially the walks. I have a 6 year old who’s football daft hence trying to shoehorn in something for him. Not sure if he’ll be up for the theme park but we’re staying very close to it. 

Milan and Verona is definitely on the cards and we’re close to Lazise, so we’ll saunter there. Looking forward too it.

Might not be for a six year old and isn’t usually my sort of thing but if you’re near Verona, I’d take a look at going to the opera in the amphitheater. 

Was there a few years ago and saw Carmen, my only exposure to opera and carmen really was old Nokia ringtones and the formula one podium but it was an incredible evening and quite cheap all things considered for the cheap seats. 

Spent a nice day in Peschaira Del Garda too just stoating about and had a smashing lunch by the lake. 

11 hours ago, kaney said:

The via ferrata is pretty good. Spectacular views. Don't even think of attempting it without the proper kit though.

No photo description available.

Also if you get a chance, head to the Marzadro distillery near Riva del Garda, take the tour and pick up some of this: 

Edited by 2426255

Also heading there around that date. nice advice and I certainly will not be doing that climb

Some fun filled family time at Gardaland with our 7 year old who has just discovered he loves rollercoasters after a trip to LEGOLAND in Denmark which was my first time ever on one as I'm a massive shitebag (see above). if anyone has been what am I to expect there?