D&G Clubs in West Dev Lge

Cap doffed to Lochar Thistle and Threave Rovers with their continued involvement in the West Development League for 2024/25. Seen both a few times last season and looking forward to visiting this coming season.

And a big welcome to Gretna 2008, hopefully it proves a fruitful exercise for them.

16 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Cap doffed to Lochar Thistle and Threave Rovers with their continued involvement in the West Development League for 2024/25. Seen both a few times last season and looking forward to visiting this coming season.

And a big welcome to Gretna 2008, hopefully it proves a fruitful exercise for them.

Nicky White and his Gretna ( club )  are working very hard and deserve rewards all the beat to them.

24 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Nicky White and his Gretna ( club )  are working very hard and deserve rewards all the beat to them.

Great to see our clubs getting involved; I was at a number of the dev games last season and was heartening to see boys from Lochar and Threave getting game time in the senior team. The competitive games against clubs from the central belt certainly uelped bring some of the boys on.

I recall Annan were entered into the dev league last season but pulled out. Obviously no idea why, wondering if you have any info.

I know numbers and finances are limited; but would be encouraging for the development of the youngsters if there was at least one team in each larger town and area across the region.

22 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Great to see our clubs getting involved; I was at a number of the dev games last season and was heartening to see boys from Lochar and Threave getting game time in the senior team. The competitive games against clubs from the central belt certainly uelped bring some of the boys on.

I recall Annan were entered into the dev league last season but pulled out. Obviously no idea why, wondering if you have any info.

I know numbers and finances are limited; but would be encouraging for the development of the youngsters if there was at least one team in each larger town and area across the region.

Ive no idea why Annan pulled out last term, and too late for this ? For me a no brainier Annan should have a team at u20, funding/ sponsors should be easy to attract given the speed at which Wullies war chest grew. Time to look at bigger picture ?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Groups and Fixtures for our 3 clubs inthe WOSFDL League Cup have dropped, groups are:

SECTION 9

#   P W D L F A +- PTS
1 Cumnock Juniors Cumnock Juniors 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Giffnock SC Giffnock SC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 Lochar Thistle Lochar Thistle 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Threave Rovers Threave Rovers 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

SECTION 11

#   P W D L F A +- PTS
1 Glenafton Athletic Glenafton Athletic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Gretna 2008 Gretna 2008 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 Kilsyth Athletic Kilsyth Athletic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Maryhill Maryhill 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

All Fixtures for the League Cup commence Friday 2nd August.

Loachar play at NWCC, Threave at Meadow Park and the NWCC, Gretna not confirmed venue yet.

Both Lochar and Threave senior teams benefitted from having their U20's playing against competitive and talented squad's from outwith the county, with boys stepping up to the senior squad at times throughout the season. The most notable being Harry 'Hightae' Officer who became a regular in WOSFL Div 3 for Threave.

Interesting to see if Gretna LL get any benefits from the boys playing ultra competitive games week in week out.

Will post fixture lists separately.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

Gretna 2008 fixtures in Section 11 WOSFDL League Cup all Friday nights 8pm kick offs.

02/08 Kilsyth Ath v Gretna 2008

09/08 Gretna 2008 v Glenafton

16/08 Maryhill v Gretna 2008

23/08 Gretna 2008 v Maryhill

30/08 Glenafton v Gretna 2008

06/09 Gretna 2008 v Kilsyth Ath

Lochar Thistle fixtures in Section 9 WOSFDL League Cup all Friday nights 8pm kick offs.

02/08 Lochar Th v Cumnock

09/08 Threave Rovers v Lochar Th

16/08 Lochar Th v Giffnock SC

23/08 Giffnock SC v Lochar Th

30/08 Lochar Th v Threave Rovers

06/09 Cumnock v Lochar Th

Threave Rovers fixtures in Section 9 WOSFDL League Cup all Friday nights 8pm kick offs.

02/08 Giffnock SC v Threave Rov

09/08 Threave Rov v Lochar Th

16/08 Cumnock v Threave Rov

23/08 Threave Rov v Cumnock

30/08 Lochar Th v Threave Rovers

06/09 Giffnock SC v Threave Rov

• 2 weeks later...

It's the start of the WOSFDL League Cup Sections this Friday. Ony the one home game at the NWCC.

Would highly recommend getting yersel along to some Friday Night games. Last season was highly entertaining and competitive.

WOSFDL League Cup

02/08/24 | 20:00 | Kilsyth Sportsfield

WOSFDL League Cup

02/08/24 | 20:00 | North West Community Campus

WOSFDL League Cup

02/08/24 | 20:00 | GSC Auldhouse

From what little I know of the opposition.

Kilsyth Ath. have a track record of producing young talent so should be a good first test for the young Gretnonians.

Cumnock Juniors, all I know of them is they have a good setup. There is a lot of competition in the area to sign up the young players.

Giffnock have a studied youth history in the southside and have been a draw for youth players over the years.

Some really good competitive teams our youngsters will be coming up against. Will only assist in their development.

Section 9 

Kilsyth Ath. 3-6 Gretna 2008.

Scorers for Gretna: Crantock x2, Robson x2, Forster and Prince.

An excellent start for the young Dumfriesshire boys at a tough place against a well established youth club.

Section 11.

Lochar Th. 0-1 Cumnock 

A late penalty did for the young Heathhall boys  a decent showing.

Giffnock 1-2 Threave Rovers

Rodger and Clive provide the goals that continue an impressive run for the young CD crew.

Positive start for our 3 clubs. Move onto next week for round 2.

Good that 3 clubs in the area now involved. 

Threave seem a bit up themselves with all the u20 talk.

Have Lochar got a 20’s manager yet? I haven’t seen any announcement on this? Have they even got a squad assembled?  

Tables in League Cup

Screenshot_20240810-082827_Chrome.jpg.d0ce3f9184423a4b1cd977c6da7a21e6.jpg

Threave 4-1 Lochar 

Screenshot_20240810-082856_Chrome.jpg.41f843b6d186188ca2fb90d45fbbde64.jpg

U20’s…. League Cup Section Result

Gretna FC 2008 U20  3-1  Glenafton Athletic FC U20

Another great performance by our ever improving U20’s side tonight at home to a very well organised Glenafton Athletic FC U20 side.

This was our second competitive match and our second win which keeps us top of the table unbeaten.

Scorers tonight were:-

Lewis Robson x 2 
Prince Mpwese x 1

Well done lads 👏

As I mentioned managed to wangle myself along to Raydale last night. 

Now, it's well documented I love my youth football and some of the best games I witnessed last season were at u20 games.

Last night's effort was not one of them. A game I will try to remove from my memory banks in all honesty. I would normally give a full match report but left at about 2125hrs. I had seen enough and was getting more angrier each minute.

My youngest calls it Brexit Football; where the ball is treated like an unclipped grenade.

There was no playing out from the back, no playing through midfield, no shape to either team, no system apparent. 

I don't know who is coaching these boys and don't want to know.

No first touch, no passing ability, no game intelligence.

There was not any viable coaching from either side. I will not waste anyones time with quoting some of the 'coaching comments'.

There were some good players on show mainly in black. But, as a now retired youth coach of 20 plus years, someone from the senior management at both Gretna 2008 and Glenafton Athletic need to get along to some training and matches. If they are happy with what they see then I'm happy to be out of it.

I need to get to a game quickly to cleanse my mind from what I saw last night.

Posted (edited)

Matchday 3 League Cup tomorrow evening.

Section 9

Screenshot_20240815-211340_Chrome.jpg.78338959c2dd8cbce264999fe569141e.jpg

Threave will be looking to go 3 for 3 against a Cumnock side looking to bounce back after a heavy defeat to Giffnock last week.

Screenshot_20240815-211428_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bf652ee24daddd410d7151aea0d41f90.jpg

Lochar will ne hoping for a better result after 2 straight defeats, Giffnock will be another tough visitor to the Campus.

Section 11

Screenshot_20240815-211511_Chrome.jpg.4886693041d4f8ea83a11f68251d8834.jpg

Gretna travel to the leafy suburbia of Springburn as the 2 undefeated teams in Group 11 go head to head.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

Last Night's Scores

Section 9

Cumnock 2-2 Threave pens 4-5

Threave twice came from behind 1 down at half time 3 goals I'm 3 minutes at the end took the game to pens with Threave gaining the extra point.

Lochar 2-7 Giffnock 

Lochar's tough start to the season continues.

Group winners will come from Threave or Giffnock

Section 11

Maryhill 4-2 Gretna

Gretna cubs suffer their first defeat against the experienced Northsiders. 2 down at half time a rally to share second half 2-2 is a positive. Return fixture next week with group winner coming from these two.