What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

I honestly don’t see the major confusion with Labour’s policy. In power, they’d negotiate a deal with the EU to Leave and put it to a public vote, against Remain.

There isn’t some sort of crazy manoeuvring at play here. It truly is that simple.

There’s little point in going baws out for Remain against the SNP in Scotland and the Lib Dems in England - all it does is cede the entirety of the Brexit vote to the Tories. There will be Leavers out there dissatisfied with Boris Johnson and the prospect of No Deal (surely...!). There will be Remainers out there (I’m one) very uncomfortable with the idea of just revoking Article 50 and pretending nothing ever happened. A second referendum on Leave v Remain has the potential to leave us exactly where we are right now, leaving but with no idea how, so putting a specific option on the table against Remain seems a reasonable compromise - parliament has rejected May’s deal three times, so it can’t be that, No Deal is now illegal, so it can’t be that, so Labour have to put up what is, at this stage, a hypothetical deal.

All seems fairly sensible to me. Now, clearly we live in very polarised times so it might not work, but going gung-ho Remain or Leave would also a) abandon a fair chunk of their voters and b) see them deemed secondary to the major parties on either side.

Did you watch it unedited from catch up from live on Parliament TV? The chair lost the plot but I thought the vote was blindingly obvious. The C4 edit was just weird.
The singing of the dear leader's name after the vote just put a cocked hat on it though. Embarrassing beyond belief. They can have more members than any other party in Western Europe, as was said yesterday, but they need voters. Displays like that have people laughing at them; it's hard to take Labour seriously. The vote was the fudgiest of fudges; imagine trying to sell that on the doorstep.

57 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
10 hours ago, welshbairn said:
Did you watch it unedited from catch up from live on Parliament TV? The chair lost the plot but I thought the vote was blindingly obvious. The C4 edit was just weird.

The singing of the dear leader's name after the vote just put a cocked hat on it though. Embarrassing beyond belief. They can have more members than any other party in Western Europe, as was said yesterday, but they need voters. Displays like that have people laughing at them; it's hard to take Labour seriously. The vote was the fudgiest of fudges; imagine trying to sell that on the doorstep.

Vote for us. Our leader has three syllables to his first name. When is the last time that worked? Oh shit. I forgot about her.

I don’t see the Labour Party policy on Brexit resonating with voters.  The only thing that will stop a Tory landslide at the forthcoming GE will be if Johnson tries to go ‘Brexit lite’ and the Brexit Party field candidates.

Labour will be annihilated in Scotland in either scenario.

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

I disagree and I think that labelling millions of people you have never met as racist thickos because of where they live might just be a teensy bit racist itself.

I don't know about that but it's pretty pathetic.

I honestly don’t see the major confusion with Labour’s policy. In power, they’d negotiate a deal with the EU to Leave and put it to a public vote, against Remain.

There isn’t some sort of crazy manoeuvring at play here. It truly is that simple.

There’s little point in going baws out for Remain against the SNP in Scotland and the Lib Dems in England - all it does is cede the entirety of the Brexit vote to the Tories. There will be Leavers out there dissatisfied with Boris Johnson and the prospect of No Deal (surely...!). There will be Remainers out there (I’m one) very uncomfortable with the idea of just revoking Article 50 and pretending nothing ever happened. A second referendum on Leave v Remain has the potential to leave us exactly where we are right now, leaving but with no idea how, so putting a specific option on the table against Remain seems a reasonable compromise - parliament has rejected May’s deal three times, so it can’t be that, No Deal is now illegal, so it can’t be that, so Labour have to put up what is, at this stage, a hypothetical deal.

All seems fairly sensible to me. Now, clearly we live in very polarised times so it might not work, but going gung-ho Remain or Leave would also a) abandon a fair chunk of their voters and b) see them deemed secondary to the major parties on either side.

Another wishfully-thinking contributor who believes Labour can form a Government.

'In power', now there's a thing... not gonna happen though, is it ?

Had to laugh at Corbyn explaining to his Mickey Mouse Conference gathering that he will be demanding that Parliament be recalled. This was about 30 minutes after Bercow had advised it would be convened tomorrow morning at 11.30am.

Corbyn would struggle to come to a decision as to which way round to sit on the toilet.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Had to laugh at Corbyn explaining to his Mickey Mouse Conference gathering that he will be demanding that Parliament be recalled. This was about 30 minutes after Bercow had advised it would be convened tomorrow morning at 11.30am.

Corbyn would struggle to come to a decision as to which way round to sit on the toilet.

Corbyn spoke to the conference about 10 minutes after the ruling.

Bercow hadn't said anything yet.

Corbyn trying to gear up the crowd or make a speech powerful is hilarious.

He starts speaking then in the MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE SHOUTS a few words before lowering his tone to NORMAL speech levels whilst waiting for an applause WHICH SOMETIMES never comes because I think people are still waiting for him to RAMBLE ON more, and even when he does SHOUT THOSE WORDS it feels like its all so forced and ALL AT THE WRONG time.

Edited by Kejan

Corbyn trying to gear up the crowd or make a speech powerful is hilarious.
He starts speaking then in the MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE SHOUTS a few words before lowering his tone to NORMAL speech levels whilst waiting for an applause WHICH SOMETIMES never comes because I think people are still waiting for him to RAMBLE ON more, and even when he does SHOUT THOSE WORDS it feels like its all so forced and ALL AT THE WRONG time.

I'm still convinced he's a son Spike Milligan never knew he had.

Good soundbite but likely unachievable in ways that people would find acceptable.

On the Today programme this morning Tim Roache, general secretary of the GMB union, said this proposals would be impossible to achieve. He said:

The proposal to do it by 2030 threatens whole communities, threatens jobs, and frankly GMB members in communities right up and down the UK have heard it all before. We heard it before about a just transition. What does a just transition mean?

Roache said the plan would have a drastic impact on families.

This will mean that within a decade people’s petrol cars being confiscated. This will mean families can only take one flight every five years ...

Net zero carbon emissions by 2030 is utterly unachievable. We can’t go to the country with a plan that is, frankly, not credible, is not deliverable.