What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

I suspect most of the electorate don't care all that much if Keir Starmer is on the left of the party or the right.  What they are looking for is a credible leader and a credible Prime-Minister-in-waiting.

Jeremy Corbyn never did that well.  He knew how to appeal to his base but not beyond.

On the issue of Europe, Keir Starmer often spoke well while Corbyn sounded bored like he was reading from a script that he didn't really believe in.

The manifesto was full of good policies but it came across as a wish list.

For Labour needs is a leader who appeals to Labour voters without being massively unappealing to non-Labour voters.

17 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Looking forward to a knight of the realm holding the establishment to account tbh.

Sir Roger Casement had a good go at it. Those of us recognised by the Honours System resent your implication.

The rank is but the guinea's stamp; the man's the gowd for a' that.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

IMG_1591.jpg

How relevant is that question now that we have left?

The important thing is to ensure that the Tories own Brexit.  If it is a success they will get the credit regardless.

If it is a failure in any way then it is useful for Labour to have a leader who never thought it was a good idea in the first place.

1 hour ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Sir Roger Casement had a good go at it. Those of us recognised by the Honours System resent your implication.

The man o independent mind he looks an laughs at a that.

Far more appropriate.

2 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Sir Rodger was a good lad, but lived and died over 100 years ago. 

I'm sure it was a proud day for you and your family when you were made Thane however, by accepting the tarnished baubles of the ruling class you have forever associated yourself with the undeserving ne'er do wells'.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Sir Rodger was a good lad, but lived and died over 100 years ago. 

I'm sure it was a proud day for you and your family when you were made Thane however, by accepting the tarnished baubles of the ruling class you have forever associated yourself with the undeserving ne'er do wells'.

Seemingly there's a real-life Thane of Cawdor. I hope neither he nor Lord Lyon King of Arms monitor this site.

The Labour Party was never going to out-Brexit the Tory Party.  Anybody who was obsessed with leaving the EU was always going to vote Tory.  If Labour swung behind the Leave vote, they would have lost lots of Remain voters while Leave voters would still not have trusted them on the matter.

Labour never had anything to gain by supporting Brexit but it had too many useful idiots amongst its ranks - including the leader.

35 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The Labour Party was never going to out-Brexit the Tory Party.  Anybody who was obsessed with leaving the EU was always going to vote Tory.  If Labour swung behind the Leave vote, they would have lost lots of Remain voters while Leave voters would still not have trusted them on the matter.

Labour never had anything to gain by supporting Brexit but it had too many useful idiots amongst its ranks - including the leader.

Who might just have been in No10 by now if he had the gumption to campaign effectively when it really mattered.

I had cause to avail myself with the "food contact materials - regulation (EC) 1935/2004" today and it reinforced my view of the sheer preposterous nature of divergence.

All greybeard had to do was say something effective. He failed and he's a failure of a quite monumental scale.

54 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

It's understandable that many posters got this badly wrong during 2019 but how can you still not understand after the election? All year we had people saying "70% of Labour voters are Remain" but the election showed how stupid this was at it only required 10%-15% to move to the Tories to cause a complete disaster.

Labour didn't need to out Brexit the Tories they just needed to hold onto their 2017 coalition. If they had alienated hardcore Remainers it would barely have damaged them as  (i)they are far fewer in number (ii) would have switched to LDs and (iii) are located mainly in metropolitan areas with big Labour majorities so the hit could have been absorbed. 

Again I can understand why many posters on here couldn't see this but it should have been clear as day to Starmer.

She would’ve been funny but no great loss other than that. Saw the three contenders today in Glasgow and they’re saying broadly the same things but it’s telling that Long-Bailey is the only one with much in the way of substance and comes across as the only consistent one rhetorically, historically and from looking at her staffing choices and general backers. Finally, and crucially for me, she has the only sensible position on the next indyref of the three.

She would’ve been funny but no great loss other than that. Saw the three contenders today in Glasgow and they’re saying broadly the same things but it’s telling that Long-Bailey is the only one with much in the way of substance and comes across as the only consistent one rhetorically, historically and from looking at her staffing choices and general backers. Finally, and crucially for me, she has the only sensible position on the next indyref of the three.
I see the takeaway from today's Glasgow hustings is that for Labour to form a future UK Government it will need to carry Scotland.

As a former Labour voter I'm really struggling to see how any of today's leadership candidates will remotely achieve that.

I see the takeaway from today's Glasgow hustings is that for Labour to form a future UK Government it will need to carry Scotland.

As a former Labour voter I'm really struggling to see how any of today's leadership candidates will remotely achieve that.

That’s a fake narrative anyway.

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Got my second go at Monkey Survey from Unite seeking views on the candidates today. Asked for three main priorities and any other issue. Expressed my worry about corruption in high places, but didn't mention Len by name.

25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

SNP + Labour = A possible majority on paper but the problem is the Tories have very effectively used the SNP as a bogeyman to depress the Labour vote (much like the SNP have done to the Tories up here).

They either spend energy telling people the SNP won't eat their babies (might save English Labour, fatal for Scottish Labour) or try to win back those SNP seats (not a realistic prospect for 20 years at least).

What's going to happen in 2040?