Port Glasgow v. Whitletts Victoria
Forth Wanderers v. Knightswood

21/09 Second Round
BSC Glasgow v. Forth Wanderers/Knightswood
Eglinton v. St Peters
Campbeltown Pupils v. St Cadoc's
Port Glasgow/Whitletts Victoria v. Maryhill

1 hour ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

St Cadocs seeing this as easiest route to senior Scottish? 

Undoubtedly, with Bo'ness Athletic having won last season it's now the likes of Whitburn, Glenrothes, Luncarty (i.e. lower end tier 6) who could be the EOS opposition.

33 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Maryhill a bit of a surprise

Maybe going out of the Junior Cup first round away to Bridge of Don last season changed their mind...

1 minute ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

With most of West clubs in the SJC,  this does seem a bit of a pointless cup. 

Same down here with Alba Cup  which has 6 clubs competing.

Is it time for SFA to remove this route for Scottish Cup entry?

I'm sure the 24 EOS clubs in the Alex Jack Cup would have something to say about that.

36 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

With most of West clubs in the SJC,  this does seem a bit of a pointless cup. 

Same down here with Alba Cup  which has 6 clubs competing.

Is it time for SFA to remove this route for Scottish Cup entry?

The point of the Strathclyde Cup is to try and provide a qualifier to the Scottish Cup. The point of the SJC is to the be showpiece end of season final and de-facto non-league Scottish Cup.

How about removing the qualifying route provided by the SJC so that West teams can participate in the Strathclyde Cup? The Highland area T6 leagues come up with their own version of the Cup Winners Shield. Wouldn't it be better for the SJFA to provide two possible cup qualifiers from their membership. Instead of the one spot going unused as an SFA member wins the SJC.

19 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Maybe going out of the Junior Cup first round away to Bridge of Don last season changed their mind...

It's not like we've not had worse SJC results than that in the past :) BOD were a decent side; Talbot only drew with them over 90 minutes same as we did - only difference was they won the shootout whereas we didn't!

19 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The point of the Strathclyde Cup is to try and provide a qualifier to the Scottish Cup. The point of the SJC is to the be showpiece end of season final and de-facto non-league Scottish Cup.

How about removing the qualifying route provided by the SJC so that West teams can participate in the Strathclyde Cup? The Highland area T6 leagues come up with their own version of the Cup Winners Shield. Wouldn't it be better for the SJFA to provide two possible cup qualifiers from their membership. Instead of the one spot going unused as an SFA member wins the SJC.

Living in the SOSFL area, we have 53 cups throughout the season, I feel that there can be too many cup competitions in a season. 

Are there now enough entry points to the big Scottish for non-league teams, with the number of clubs licenced without having these extra cups shoehorned onto an already busy schedule?

17 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Living in the SOSFL area, we have 53 cups throughout the season, I feel that there can be too many cup competitions in a season. 

Are there now enough entry points to the big Scottish for non-league teams, with the number of clubs licenced without having these extra cups shoehorned onto an already busy schedule?

The South have a number of cupz that serve no purpose beyond tradition and now padding out the fixture list since they're at 22(?). Bin some of them. 

The Alba Cup actually has a purpose and provides a game at least for non-SFA members when the licensed clubs are Scottish Cup duty. 

Licensing standards are continuing to increase. Even buying in for an application is said to have jumped from £2k to £10k. So let's not get rid of qualifying routes that actually have a chance of being used. Since most T6 leagues in the Lowland will have a licensed champion and the last 3 SJCs won by an SFA member. 

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The South have a number of cupz that serve no purpose beyond tradition and now padding out the fixture list since they're at 22(?). Bin some of them. 

The Alba Cup actually has a purpose and provides a game at least for non-SFA members when the licensed clubs are Scottish Cup duty. 

Licensing standards are continuing to increase. Even buying in for an application is said to have jumped from £2k to £10k. So let's not get rid of qualifying routes that actually have a chance of being used. Since most T6 leagues in the Lowland will have a licensed champion and the last 3 SJCs won by an SFA member. 

As far as I know no SOSFL has won or is likely to win the Cup Winners Shield thingy. I agree re the South Cups, some of which are a throwback to the old FA's; Wigtonshire FA and the like. So have sentimental value.

Best option might be for the SFA to do an un SFA thing and review the entry route available for non-licenced clubs etc.

We know that ain't likely to happen.

48 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

As far as I know no SOSFL has won or is likely to win the Cup Winners Shield thingy. I agree re the South Cups, some of which are a throwback to the old FA's; Wigtonshire FA and the like. So have sentimental value.

Best option might be for the SFA to do an un SFA thing and review the entry route available for non-licenced clubs etc.

We know that ain't likely to happen.

Nature of non-SFA member cups is that they get weaker over time. 

Take a club like Abbey Vale. They've had a decade plus in the pyramid to get licensed and its looking a bridge too far. They can still put together a decent team now & again. One capable of beating lower division WoS / EoS teams. 

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Nature of non-SFA member cups is that they get weaker over time. 

Take a club like Abbey Vale. They've had a decade plus in the pyramid to get licensed and its looking a bridge too far. They can still put together a decent team now & again. One capable of beating lower division WoS / EoS teams. 

I'm probably being a bit pernickety with regards to these 3 cups in that they just plain annoy me for no rational reason.

The way this cup winners cup is unfolding, its becoming an extra spot for the EOS. Nothing wrong with that, it's up to the other 2 leagues to provide equitable opposition.

There are 6 unlicenced clubs in the SOSFL; Vale, Lochmaben, Nithsdale, Lochar and the 2 Annandale clubs. The only one I am aware of that has made any noises about licencing is Lochar. Albeit that was no more than a whisper a while back. The SOSFL may have reached its max in licenced clubs.

4 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

The way this cup winners cup is unfolding, its becoming an extra spot for the EOS. Nothing wrong with that, it's up to the other 2 leagues to provide equitable opposition.

There's only been three since the WoSFL was introduced. 

East 2, West 1, South 0

The money St Cadocs are throwing about they're the favourite on paper. 

It's not completely hopeless for the South either. The year Luncarty won, they drew with Abbey Vale gaining a bonus point on pens.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's only been three since the WoSFL was introduced. 

East 2, West 1, South 0

The money St Cadocs are throwing about they're the favourite on paper. 

It's not completely hopeless for the South either. The year Luncarty won, they drew with Abbey Vale gaining a bonus point on pens.

The small number of participants in the WOSFL and SOSFL as compared to the EOSFL gives the comp a disjointed feel about it.

I recall hibee jibee posted on the Alex Jack thread the history and before the West was born no SOSFL club had come close to defeating the EOSFL other than Vale v Luncarty.

Luncarty equalised in the last few minutes at Maryfield that day. Vale were on a good run winning their maiden title on the last day.

6 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

The small number of participants in the WOSFL and SOSFL as compared to the EOSFL gives the comp a disjointed feel about it.

I recall hibee jibee posted on the Alex Jack thread the history and before the West was born no SOSFL club had come close to defeating the EOSFL other than Vale v Luncarty.

Luncarty equalised in the last few minutes at Maryfield that day. Vale were on a good run winning their maiden title on the last day.

History's great, but its not a static competition and doesn't reflect the present.

1st CWS winners - LHTV now SFA members as Hutchison Vale

2nd CWS winners - Tynecastle now SFA

3rd CWS winners - Camelon Juniors now SFA

4th CWS winners - Musselburgh Athletic now SFA

It's like talking about the EoSFL because they've got Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Tranent, Linlithgow, and Broxburn.

9 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

A cup competition for 10 teams in the West culminating in a Final at Broadwood is ludicrous.

A cost of thousands being spent on 10 teams is also ludicrous. What about the other 70 teams? Is there a pro-rata sum set aside for them?

Surely it's time to ditch the 3 cups and merge the teams involved into 1 cup.

10 West + 6 South + 24 East.

Straight knock-out and 1 Final to be played at a neutral venue with the costs shared by 3 Leagues.

1 hour ago, Casper Wilson said:

A cup competition for 10 teams in the West culminating in a Final at Broadwood is ludicrous.

A cost of thousands being spent on 10 teams is also ludicrous. What about the other 70 teams? Is there a pro-rata sum set aside for them?

Straight knock-out and 1 Final to be played at a neutral venue with the costs shared by 3 Leagues.

I'm a bit of a loss, not sure where the cost of thousands is being spent on but sure there must be something that I'm missing.

Why is it ludicrous for a 10 team cup to play at Broadwood ? (admittedly as a spectator its one of the coldest stadiums about).   A final is a final so most players and fans want/love some kind of spectacle, i know, Broadwood but hey.
What stadiums are the two finals of the other association cups being played, anyone know?
This Demolition Cup, correct me if I'm wrong is the cup teams play in because they have not entered the junior cup and also gives them the chance to reach the Scottish cup the following season if they win the cup and then 3 way playoff against two other winners of cups in other associations i.e. WOSFL and the SOSFL, so why would any team in the WOSFL want to lose this cup and a doorway to the Scottish Cup?

These clubs are not involved in the junior cup for different reasons and I'm sure some are not involved due to the travelling so I don't think they would want to be in a cup where they have to travel far.  Again lumping all the teams together, no need, as there is the South Challenge Cup as the regional cup.
The demolition cup is just a local domestic cup for the WOSFL..

I think usually in all levels of football, you play in a national cup, a regional cup and usually 3 domestic cups for your association or league so there's definitely no problem with the demolition cup.

Anyone know the name of the cups in the SOSFL and the EOSFL that the champions all play the winner of the demolition cup in a playoff?

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, Casper Wilson said:

It has a sponsor. Takes 10% from games after match official expenses.

Final at Broadwood is now because the WoSFL got a package deal for all finals, prior to that a WoSFL were asked if they were willing to host.

If you can prove that cost of assistants for the semis, the cost of the final costs league thousands I'd like to see the working on that?

Of course you don't care about the costs. Otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting a 3rd inter-league trophy existing in the Lowland area amongst the smallest clubs with all the travel that would be involved in it.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

It has a sponsor. Takes 10% from games after match official expenses.

Final at Broadwood is now because the WoSFL got a package deal for all finals, prior to that a WoSFL were asked if they were willing to host.

If you can prove that cost of assistants for the semis, the cost of the final costs league thousands I'd like to see the working on that?

Of course you don't care about the costs. Otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting a 3rd inter-league trophy existing in the Lowland area amongst the smallest clubs with all the travel that would be involved in it.

How many years is the deal for to play at Broadwood,  anyone know?