El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That doesn't explain it for me.

I don't feel this antipathy to any local clubs.  Seeing our modern footballing relationship with England involving much actual 'rivalry' is also a bit of a stretch.

I'd understand this post if it was about Wales or the North of Ireland.  

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Top debating skills there.

Get yourself along to the Oxford Union.

I'm fairly sure at Oxford debating club they don't have to deal with banal questions like "What, even Ant and Dec?"

Worth mentioning that our women's team are playing tonight and are managed by a Spaniard, a sure sign of the inextricable cultural and footballing links between our two nations.

Mind you he's rubbish. 

On the needy, chippy English wheedling, 'So, now that you're out, are you supporting England, Jock? After all, we're all British innit?'

The media would never ask a Liverpool fan, 'Now that you're out of Europe, will you be supporting Man Utd? After, all etc etc'

15 hours ago, Red Kite said:

I wouldn't give it a second thought.  A lot of folk in the English "provinces" have similar feelings about London.  I have lived and worked down there and still get wound up about the focus being on London, but I have mates brought up there who are sound.  I lived and worked in Dublin, too.  At first it is weird that your mate supports the same player as you for your EPL club and then wants him to get beaten by someone like Germany.   Then you just think, fair enough.  As for me, I will actually be in Scotland on Sunday night and would enjoy watching this game having a few low-profile pints, for the experience.  I will head out and recognize the pub will be the place for me that night and not P&B 😉

Met a number of sound English boys when we were over in Germany from places like Sheffield, Blackburn and Liverpool. The one night we had guys in a pub doing the 'Scotland get battered' song to try and spark a reaction it was a group from Kent.

Definitely think the w**k/good guy border sits somewhere around Birmingham.

I think we must be pretty unique in the UK in having most of our media coming from a different FIFA/UEFA member nation. Imagine if the Austrians or Portuguese had their coverage via Germany or Spain.

This can be exasperated by the fact that some of our southern neighbours have difficulty in differentiating between Britain/UK and England. Southgate himself has previously referred to the island of England! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have lived in England and have many great friends there who are just as passionate about their football as us Scots. The day after the opening game in Munich I was having a bit of banter with some English guys in a bar and ended up on an all day session with them. They knew we want them to lose and joked back that we are just like our food, battered all the time. 

Should worst case scenario happen on Sunday I will be thinking of those guys and the joy they will be feeling. I will also be thinking of the Villa fan I worked with in the 90s who contacted me as I was leaving Hampden after our 2-0 win over Spain offering congratulations.  I am working this Sunday with the autistic gent who I look after. He is a massive football fan and will be cheering his country on, so a win would make my shift a bit easier.

Having said that I will be avoiding as much of the build up as possible for reasons stated previously. 

In the summer of 1966 I was 13 years old.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted England to win the World Cup before it kicked off.

They were the British representatives and I was British, so why not? 

I even paid 1 shilling and 6 pence of my not so hard-earned pocket money for a World Cup Willie Rollykin,

(which was a wee plastic figure with a ball bearing in the base.)  Now £45 online, I no longer have it. 😪

Then I started watching the limited tv coverage, compared with today, and saw the English waving the 'Union Jack'

and chanting "England".

Now, I could have taken the view that they also wanted the British team to win and were acting in an  inclusive manner but

funnily enough that was not the impression I got.   I did form the impression that they believed they were waving the English flag.

I stopped 'supporting' them at that point, (though I now have English friends and extended family and like to see them happy.)

At least they now wave the correct flag but many of them still lie about being 'not allowed to',  which of course is just greetin' faced, right wing pish.

'Mon the Team that has won every match, bar one,  since the start of the tournament . 🇪🇸  

17 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

I sincerely hope your autistic punter is inconsolable and that your shift is the most exquisite agony. 

I was on shift when the Lionesses lost to Spain last year, so I am seeing that as an omen! 🤞

50 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

In the summer of 1966 I was 13 years old.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted England to win the World Cup before it kicked off.

I even paid 1 shilling and 6 pence of my not so hard-earned pocket money for a World Cup Willie Rollykin,

(which was a wee plastic figure with a ball bearing in the base.)  Now £45 online, I no longer have it. 😪

Then I started watching the limited tv coverage, compared with today, and saw the English waving the 'Union Jack'

and chanting "England".

Now, I could have taken the view that they also wanted the British team to win and were acting in an  inclusive manner but

funnily enough that was not the impression I got.   I did form the impression that they believed they were waving the English flag.

I stopped 'supporting' them at that point, (though I now have English friends and extended family and like to see them happy.)

At least they now wave the correct flag but many of them still lie about being 'not allowed to',  which of course is just greetin' faced, right wing pish.

'Mon the Team that has won every match, bar one,  since the start of the tournament . 🇪🇸  

That more or less describe me, too.

1 hour ago, cyderspaceman said:

and chanting "England".

Jeez, I also wish I'd kept my World Cup Willie rollykin (I never knew they had a name).  I'd been bought it during a visit to relatives in London the previous year, so the marketing team was well on it.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t usually listen to talksport so don’t have much of an opinion of him. It seems like Jim Whyte has annoyed him quite a bit.

His podcasts with Souness and Deeney are really good. 

10 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

England will lose, and that's The Malkmus Guarantee.

Sir, I have not forgiven you for jinxing Inverness's relegation/play-off battle. Do not tempt the fates!

41 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Sir, I have not forgiven you for jinxing Inverness's relegation/play-off battle. Do not tempt the fates!

Mark Ridgers shan't be starting in goal for Spain, so there will be no issue here.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If your big derby is against Annan athletic then it might be difficult to understand 

We're much closer in standard to Annan that Scotland is to England.