The Annual Skyline League Cup Group Analysis Thread / Who's Going Through?

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Are you saying Celtic don’t generally get piss easy cup ties as well??

They'll get Saints

Edited by Davi3j

19 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

So Seeds

1. Celtic
  2. Rangers
  3. Hearts
  4. Kilmarnock
  5. Mirren
  6. Dundee
  7. Aberdeen
  8. County

Non Seeds

• Hibs
  • Falkirk
  • St Johstone
  • Spartans
  • Motherwell/Partick Thistle
  • Airdrie
  • Queen's Park
  • Dundee United

Motherwell vs Thistle tomorrow for the last place. Thistle need a win to go through.

Can Aberdeen and Airdrie be drawn against each other again, or have the SPFL not thought that scenario could have happened.

16 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Can Aberdeen and Airdrie be drawn against each other again, or have the SPFL not thought that scenario could have happened.

Yes they can, and it has happened before I'm sure.

Posted (edited)
On 24/07/2024 at 00:53, Skyline Drifter said:

Group A : Aberdeen likely winners and probably 12 points. Runner up finishes on 9 points if an outright winner Airdrie v QoS. Airdrie would have a GD of at least +9 if it's them and would get through. QoS might be as little as +2 and probably wouldn't. Likely both out if they draw.

Group B : Falkirk probably win the group with any sort of win over Stenhousemuir. Ayr need a 3 goal victory over Buckie to get 2nd. As long as one of them wins, the worst case for 2nd place is 9 pts and a +4 GD

Group C : Fully expect Hibs to clinch the group. Queen's Park can get 2nd on 9 points at least +6 with a win over Kelty. Anything less they'll go out.

Group D : Dundee have won it. Nobody else getting through. Fair chance Dundee take a maximum 12 and get seeded alongside Aberdeen and either Livi or Ross County.

Group E : Livingston probably win the group on 12. Nobody else through.

Group F : God knows! It's in Alloa's hands and Morton are playing for nothing but still every chance St Johnstone win the group on 9 and a low GD! I'm expecting St Johnstone to beat East Fife which, unless they do so by 3 or more goals, means there won't be a runner up go through here.

Group G : I guess Motherwell winning the group is most likely. Clyde's task is to beat Montrose. If they do they'll have a chance to go through with 9 pts and a GD of at least +5. If not runner up doesn't go through here.

Group H : Ross County probably win the group with a full house. Raith need to win at Accies to get 9 pts and at least +4 GD. Any other result means no runner up going through here either.

Still a lot of variables but it seems likely Groups A, B, and either C, G or H finishes with a 9 point runner up. If East Fife and Alloa both win there's be a 10 point runner up in Group F but that's a long shot. If East Fife do not win in Perth then:
Airdrie (+9 at least)
Queen's Park (+6 at least)
probably have it in their own hands to get through.

Clyde (+5 at least)
Ayr (+4 at least)
Raith (+4 at least)
need big wins or some help from others.

Dundee United (+5 but finished) need either Falkirk or Ayr not to win (or both) and no more than two of Airdrie, Queen's Park, Clyde and Raith to win either.

Queen of the South need a LOT of help....................

So didn't visit this thread yesterday when I got back down the road. We were out so not directly affected. Above was pretty accurate though. Other than not remotely expecting Spartans to knock out Livingston I pretty much called all the other groups correctly. Probably expected Ayr to get 2nd rather than Dundee United but it was always a marginal call that one. It's harder to get a 3 goal win when you need it than when you don't!

As I predicted Airdrie and Queen's Park very much had best 2nd places in their own hands and duly clinched them. Elsewhere though clubs went out of their way to avoid them as Clyde, Raith and Alloa all blew it. Surprisingly then that let Dundee United in the back door to clinch the last spot despite not playing.

Remaining spot lies between Motherwell and Partick Thistle and will be settled at Fir Park this afternoon. Thistle need to win in 90 minutes to win the group and go through. If they do so Motherwell will go out on 8 points. Any other result sees Motherwell win the group. Thistle can get 2nd ahead of Montrose with a point but there's no scenario where they can get 2nd and replace Dundee United as the 16th qualifier.

Runner Up Rankings:
1 Queen's Park, Group C, 9 points, +11
2 Airdrieonians, Group A, 9 points, +10
3 Dundee United, Group B, 9 points, +5
-----------------------------------
4 Livingston, Group E, 9 points, +4
5 Partick Thistle, Group G, 8 points, +6
6 Raith Rovers, Group H, 8 points, +3
7 Alloa Athletic, Group F, 8 points, +2
8 Annan Athletic, Group D, 7 points, +2

This was the 9th season of groups. I'd need to double check my facts but I think across the first 7 years Peterhead were the only side to fail to progress with 9 points. Last year Hamilton, Dundee and Forfar ALL finished 2nd on 9 points and failed to progress as Livingston have this year. In addition, Ayr United become the first club ever to get 9 points and NOT even get 2nd spot! There's a blind media assumption, peddled on radio commentary annoyingly frequently that "9 points is good enough to get you through. The evidence of the last two seasons show it very much is not! Livingston's 9 points and +4 (matched by Ayr in not finishing 2nd) is the best record ever not to get through.

Spartans become I think the 2nd ever League 2 side to win a group after Annan in 2022. Not sure if any League 2 side has ever gone through as a best runner up, suspect not. Anyone know?

EDIT - Oh, and Dundee, Aberdeen and Ross County clinched the 3 available seeding spots with maximum points. Livingston had it in their own hands more or less to get one ahead of County but their defeat not only denied them a seeding but knocked them out altogether. Runners up in the Dundee and County groups are out but Aberdeen could conceivably draw Airdrie again in the last 16.

EDITED again to move Thistle into the 2nd place table

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Posted (edited)
On 24/07/2024 at 01:05, Skyline Drifter said:

Finally a selfish look at QoS and what we need to happen to go through. I'm not even entertaining the prospect of winning the group though we could in theory do so if we win at Airdrie and Aberdeen lose to Dumbarton AND there's a combined 7 goal swing. Not happening.

So to be one of the three best runners up we must win in 90 minutes at Airdrie and then have no more than two of he following NOT happen:

B - Both Falkirk and Ayr United fail to win in 90 minutes (or Ayr do win but do so by four goals less than us which isn't realistic)
C - Queens Park fail to beat Kelty in 90 minutes
E - Spartans fail to beat Livi in 90 minutes (or do beat them but do so quite heavily sending Livi's GD down below +2)
F - Alloa lose outright v Morton Or Alloa win but St Johnstone beat East Fife on penalties.
G - Clyde fail to beat Montrose in 90 minutes
H - Raith fail to beat Hamilton in 90 minutes (or they do win but do so by at least 3 goals less than us).

Realistically, a 90 min win for us combined with Queen's Park, Spartans and Clyde not winning outright and Morton beating Alloa would do us. Or one of those things happening but Raith failing to win. It's not that long a shot. Biggest problem will be us beating Airdrie considering we finished tonight with 10 fit outfield players.

We lost so it didn't matter but had we actually beaten Airdrie 1-0 we'd have gone out anyway but only because of Livingston's late loss to Spartans. What a kick in the teeth that would have been if we'd won!

Alloa did lose to Morton, Clyde lost to Montrose and Raith were held by Hamilton. We'd have had to beat Airdrie by 3 to beat Livingston to the 3rd best runner up spot.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, a few seasons back Dundee and Dundee Utd drew each other in the second round after being in the same group. 

3 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

42 minutes ago, The Master said:

Yes, a few seasons back Dundee and Dundee Utd drew each other in the second round after being in the same group. 

Dundee v Dundee Utd in 2017 and Hibs v Dundee in 2020 are only time it's happened in entire Scottish League Cup history.

EDIT: in fairness that's actually less impressive than it sounds since pre-2016 there were precious few seasons when more than 1 club could qualify from a group (indeed by the look of it just in 1972-73 and 1973-74).

(It did also happen in Scottish League C Division Cup of 1946-47 when top 2 qualified from 2 groups, then drew each other in both SFs... which no doubt left everybody feeling rather foolish... Stirling Albion v Leith Athletic and Dundee A v Montrose).

Edited by HibeeJibee