Dundee FC V Airdrieonians FC 17 August 2024

Hard to complain whenever you draw a lower league opponent in the cup, but Doc will be under no illusions about how tough a game it'll be after last season's hiccup. I do find it curious that the two sides hadn't met since 2010, and now will have met in each of the last 3 seasons in cup competitions.

Spoiler

We need a man who has proven he can score against Airdrie. We need the return of Derick Osei Yaw.

26th November 2022; Dens Park, Dundee, Scotland: Scottish Cup Football,  Dundee versus Airdrie; Derick Osei of Dundee scores for 4-2 in the 108th  minute Stock Photo - Alamy

• 2 weeks later...

Bewildered at Airdrie's result on Friday. Ayr look good and potentially a title challenger, but that performance was so unlike Airdrie, far different to your otherwise great start to the season. What happened? I don't think McCabe goes to Raith, so I don't think it was a case of distraction.

Given the drastic difference on the success of both teams' weekends on top of the difference in leagues it's tempting to give way to overconfidence, but I know full well that the team won't have that same response. I'm sure Doc will remember his first managerial defeat acutely well, and McCabe will not be underestimated, especially as Airdrie have given us two really tough games in the last two seasons. I imagine a similar team from the Hearts win will start for us (unless Doc wants to give Koumetio a first start), and hopefully we have one or two more depth additions before Saturday to supplement our currently unimpactful bench.

10 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Thought I'd ask the most important question on the thread early on, where's the best place to park on Saturday? Cheers.

From last season away at Tannadice, we parked round about the Graham Street/Woodside Terrace area and walked down to the stadium, keeps ye outside the parking restrictions but only a 5 mins walk away 👍

3 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Thought I'd ask the most important question on the thread early on, where's the best place to park on Saturday? Cheers.

There are parking restrictions (that are very poorly marked) in the grounds vicinity so try to go a bit further out, Hill Street is where I'd usually park if I took the car. About a 5 minute walk down to Dens from there

1 hour ago, Lalo said:

There are parking restrictions (that are very poorly marked)

:huh: 

There's large signs at every entry point. 

Regardless of your view on the restrictions themselves, there's no way they can be described as "very poorly marked". 

3 hours ago, The Master said:

:huh: 

There's large signs at every entry point. 

Regardless of your view on the restrictions themselves, there's no way they can be described as "very poorly marked". 

Maybe it was just stupidity on our part then but last season my pal got a ticket where he parked and we couldn't see a sign anywhere near. 

25 minutes ago, Lalo said:

Maybe it was just stupidity on our part then but last season my pal got a ticket where he parked and we couldn't see a sign anywhere near. 

The signs are on the roads as you enter the zone. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8e1683b64a69a42d87e69d48b88a9f13.jpeg

There’s no signs in the zone because the sheer number required would be infeasible. The law also regards these “entry” signs as sufficient, in the same way roads like the Marketgait don’t need double yellow lines to ban parking because there’s clearway signs on all routes as you join it. 

Get through this with no injuries is all I'm concerned about. Even better if Doc gives some of our more important players a rest and stiffs like Main and Sharp get a run out. Maybe an opportunity to give Koumetio his first start. 

Couldn't care less about the result and would gladly swap a win for 3 more league points.

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Get through this with no injuries is all I'm concerned about. Even better if Doc gives some of our more important players a rest and stiffs like Main and Sharp get a run out. Maybe an opportunity to give Koumetio his first start. 

Couldn't care less about the result and would gladly swap a win for 3 more league points.

I'd disagree - a nice cup run - and winning again would be good for the players confidence - keeping the unbeaten run going but also the chance of a more lucrative tie in the quarter-finals.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

31 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'd disagree - a nice cup run - and winning again would be good for the players confidence - keeping the unbeaten run going but also the chance of a more lucrative tie in the quarter-finals.

The worthwhile part of this competition, i.e. the pre-season fitness element is out of the way. After that it just becomes a distraction, and I have no idea how they can justify burning an August weekend playing these ties when there is invariably a league fixture backlog and a stooshie about that every single March/April/May.

It's of no more significance than the B&Q cup and is basically the same thing, but with a smattering of "big" clubs thrown in. Even if we won it, fine, the money would be nice, but I couldn't give a f**k about the trophy itself.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Haven't been to Dens for some time so ticket purchased and with several friends.

Should it be like the Aberdeen performance I'd be hoping for a tough game: if it's Ayr United then I'll be very worried. Either way I don't expect to be in the next draw.

Thanks for parking hints. 

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

When you win as many trophies as Dundee, you can afford to turn your nose up at the League Cup.

Some lengths to go to to deny that SJ won a major cup double yon time.