Kelty Hearts -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 10 August 2024)

An intriguing game lies in store on Saturday as Kelty Hearts welcome Stenhousemuir to New Central Park. The last time the sides shared a division, the 2021/22 League 2 season, a bankrolled Kelty were miles ahead of the Warriors; this time, there feels like a far greater degree of parity between the teams, which sets up an intriguing contest. The home side come into this encounter following a credible draw with Montrose, while Stenny kicked off the season with a good win over Arbroath. This match could be a cracker!

I'd like to think we'll have another one or two players signed up by this match but if not, I reckon we'll go with the same time and formation that got the three points at the weekend. Matty Yates caused confusion as a false 9, Ross Taylor caused a bit of havoc with his pace and direct running, and James Berry, Mikey Anderson and Kyle Jacobs were all solid in the middle of the park. It's quick and it's intense and if we can reprise the same degree of energy we showed against Arbroath, we have a chance. We also have Nat Wedderburn and Matty Aitken on the bench, two good players who can alter the game.

Let's go with:

- Ross Taylor - Matty Yates - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Kyle Jacobs - James Berry -

- Kinlay Bilham - Kyle Banner - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

It'll be interesting to see how Kelty line up. There are some good players in their ranks but it feels like they're maybe lesser than the sum of their parts. They probably lack an outstanding striker too. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I will see you there!

39 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

An intriguing game lies in store on Saturday as Kelty Hearts welcome Stenhousemuir to New Central Park. The last time the sides shared a division, the 2021/22 League 2 season, a bankrolled Kelty were miles ahead of the Warriors; this time, there feels like a far greater degree of parity between the teams, which sets up an intriguing contest. The home side come into this encounter following a credible draw with Montrose, while Stenny kicked off the season with a good win over Arbroath. This match could be a cracker!

I'd like to think we'll have another one or two players signed up by this match but if not, I reckon we'll go with the same time and formation that got the three points at the weekend. Matty Yates caused confusion as a false 9, Ross Taylor caused a bit of havoc with his pace and direct running, and James Berry, Mikey Anderson and Kyle Jacobs were all solid in the middle of the park. It's quick and it's intense and if we can reprise the same degree of energy we showed against Arbroath, we have a chance. We also have Nat Wedderburn and Matty Aitken on the bench, two good players who can alter the game.

Let's go with:

- Ross Taylor - Matty Yates - Euan O'Reilly -

- Mikey Anderson - Kyle Jacobs - James Berry -

- Kinlay Bilham - Kyle Banner - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

It'll be interesting to see how Kelty line up. There are some good players in their ranks but it feels like they're maybe lesser than the sum of their parts. They probably lack an outstanding striker too. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I will see you there!

Sums up the view well! Darren Jamieson on the other side of the pitch this time when we meet too.

We're a work in progress with so many new faces but could well have beaten Montrose yesterday. We have two grafting strikers in CJ & Williamson but I do think once Williamson nabs a goal or two we'll see him kick on a level.

Likely line up for us:

Adams

Mercer  Flatman  O'Ware   Paterson 

Tidser

Allan             Cunningham/Brown

Moore

CJ.              Williamson 

Will be a close game. 2.1 Kelty for me.

Going to miss this game as still away , always tight affairs against Stenny who are looking a decent outfit already this season ,hopefully get a win today but see a 1-1 coming 

Mon Kelty 

Just now, Kelheart said:

Going to miss this game as still away , always tight affairs against Stenny who are looking a decent outfit already this season ,hopefully get a win today but see a 1-1 coming 

Mon Kelty 

Frustrating game today. Felt, 2nd half, in particular, we had the best of the game, yet still had to rely on DJ making a couple of smart saves.

The non-penalty decision was the turning point, but our inability to shoot, or shoot on target, cost us and ultimately was the difference between the teams. O'Donnell is very effective and looks a really good striker, until it comes to kicking the ball! Put him up front with another striker and you could have a decent strike force but I just don't know if we have the budget for a goalscorer.

Is Finlay Allan related to Scott Allan? They were deep in chat after the match. 

We were really really poor today. Early goal maybe spooked us. 

Kelty were pretty decent and probably should have had 3or4 after some 1v1's 2nd half. 

We never laid a glove on them, Euan O was lively enough & DJ some great second half saves but in reality no pass marks. I missed the 1st goal but was talk of DJ maybe doing better. 

Best part of the day was at FT. We are all in together with this squad & manager, there is a real bond there. Even after a poor result & performance right behind the team. 

Onto Alloa. 

21 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

We were really really poor today. Early goal maybe spooked us. 

Kelty were pretty decent and probably should have had 3or4 after some 1v1's 2nd half. 

We never laid a glove on them, Euan O was lively enough & DJ some great second half saves but in reality no pass marks. I missed the 1st goal but was talk of DJ maybe doing better. 

Best part of the day was at FT. We are all in together with this squad & manager, there is a real bond there. Even after a poor result & performance right behind the team. 

Onto Alloa. 

Felt you were a bit flat overall. Good win for is & a positive start to the season!  Need to put more chances away though to ensure we close games out.

13 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Felt you were a bit flat overall. Good win for is & a positive start to the season!  Need to put more chances away though to ensure we close games out.

Nearly as flat as that Kelty home support. Sub 400 in first home game and a light applause at goals. 

Not even a dig this just quite bizarre. Feels a bit like anyone going along is more just for something to do rather than have any real support for the club/team. 

What happened to the young team that used to make a bit noise in shed? 

Edited by Vimto90
Error

Kelty Hearts deserved the three points today. They were better than us where it counted - clinical in front of the goal and resolute at the back - and I think I might have underestimated their qualities while overestimating our own. They're a good team with clever, technical players who can pop the ball around the park, complemented by two fit, energetic strikers, but there were times where we made things pretty easy for them. Both goals were preventable, with several points of failure, and there were times where Kelty shoved us around a bit. It was only when Nat Wedderburn was introduced that I felt we got a grip of the game, but we were two goals down by that point. The conditions didn't help us, and we were frequently caught out by the wind, but it didn't seem to affect the home side too much.

There were no outstanding performers for Stenhousemuir today. Wedderburn, as mentioned, made a difference when he came on and Corey O'Donnell brought a bit of chaos after his introduction, but that was about it. The team lacked the verve it showed against Arbroath the previous week. Kyle Banner had a difficult afternoon and looked spooked by Scott Williamson and Craig Johnstone. he sliced a long pass out of for a corner kick and almost scored an own goal when he mishit a ball to Darren Jamieson. The midfield lacked aggression and we didn't do enough to get our front three into the game. Finaly Allan ran into cul-de-sacs when he got on the ball and Blair Alston was introduced too late to have any real impact.

Kelty could legitimately compete for the top four this season. Tam O'Ware strolled through the game (quite literally, when he waltzed through the Stenny defence midway through the second half) and the two full-backs defended well. Michael Tidser, I felt, was the best player on the park and dictated the match from the centre circle. Scott Allan had some nice touches, most notably his goal, but drifted out of the game. It's a shame that more people aren't watching this team. They're good fun and New Central Park is a class place to watch football but both goals were met with the kind of applause you hear at the golf.

I hope we can bounce back against Alloa Athletic. We've got more options at our disposal to change things up. Maybe Alston might come in and play off Matty Yates. Allan might get a shot in place of Euan O'Reilly. Something to think about, anyway.

1 hour ago, Vimto90 said:

Nearly as flat as that Kelty home support. Sub 400 in first home game and a light applause at goals. 

Not even a dig this just quite bizarre. Feels a bit like anyone going along is more just for something to do rather than have any real support for the club/team. 

What happened to the young team that used to make a bit noise in shed? 

Some of the old boys chased them out. Terrible in my view as they created a great bit of atmosphere. Can't disagree with the crowd today. Hopefully just a sign of holidays etc as we averaged a good bit more last season.

Flat best describes our performance. Everything we did well last week - press and win 50/50's - was absent and Kelty were the better team and deserved the win. Absolutely no complaints.

The reality is that the 'worst' teams we play are likely to be Peterhead/Spartans/Dumbarton level so expecting more than a few defeats. However, i'd have happily taken 3 points after 2 games. The players have a lot of credit in the bank and it was telling they were well received by the away support at the end when it would have been easy for them and us to slink off on the final whistle.

4 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Frustrating game today. Felt, 2nd half, in particular, we had the best of the game, yet still had to rely on DJ making a couple of smart saves.

The non-penalty decision was the turning point, but our inability to shoot, or shoot on target, cost us and ultimately was the difference between the teams. O'Donnell is very effective and looks a really good striker, until it comes to kicking the ball! Put him up front with another striker and you could have a decent strike force but I just don't know if we have the budget for a goalscorer.

Is Finlay Allan related to Scott Allan? They were deep in chat after the match. 

Look forward to seeing the highlights. Felt we had two very good shouts for penalties with Taylor in the first half then O’Reilly in the second.

9 hours ago, Broxi Bears said:

Look forward to seeing the highlights. Felt we had two very good shouts for penalties with Taylor in the first half then O’Reilly in the second.

I'm in Slovenia and could tell they weren't penalties from here neeb 😂😂, all the best for the season ahead 👍

I think Gary summed it up perfectly in his post match - who could put their hand up and say they played as well as last week? Nobody.

We just never really got going and it's a reminder if you are not at it in this league you will get beat. It might not be the worst thing in the world long term if we bounce back accordingly. 

You know when Mikey Anderson has an off day it's a worry I genuinely can't remember the last time he had a poor game but he certainly did yesterday. That high energy midfield from last week were posted missing which was a big disappointment. Only Nat covered himself in any glory when he came on and big Corey for that matter.

We go again next week. As others have said this group have a lot of credit in the bank with the fans so I won't be getting too low after yesterday we know what we are capable of and that fell well short.

I have to say I thought Kelty were decent and as poor as we were I think you have to give credit they played very well. The front two were a handful, the midfield played at a tempo they wanted to and Tam O'Ware was the best player on the park - an absolutely flawless performance from him.

Edited by Neilly

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

I think Gary summed it up perfectly in his post match - who could put their hand up and say they played as well as last week? Nobody.

We just never really got going and it's a reminder if you are not at it in this league you will get beat. It might not be the worst thing in the world long term if we bounce back accordingly. 

You know when Mikey Anderson has an off day it's a worry I genuinely can't remember the last time he had a poor game but he certainly did yesterday. That high energy midfield from last week were posted missing which was a big disappointment. Only Nat covered himself in any glory when he came on and big Corey for that matter.

We go again next week. As others have said this group have a lot of credit in the bank with the fans so I won't be getting too low after yesterday we know what we are capable of and that fell well short.

I have to say I thought Kelty were decent and as poor as we were I think you have to give credit they played very well. The front two were a handful, the midfield played at a tempo they wanted to and Tam O'Ware was the best player on the park - an absolutely flawless performance from him.

Big Tam is a standout usually when we play well at this level. Lucky to have kept him for another season. 

Think you'll have enough over the course to stay up imo. With Annans start though there are no certs for the drop this year that's for sure.