Dundee FC vs Heart of Midlothian - 5:30pm Kick-off - 10/08/24

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mulligan was missing from our whole squad today and our definite ITK guy just posted this on TDBF:

Untitled.png

When he wasn’t on the team sheet I said to my son it could only mean he is injured or a deal is about to be made with some club.  Is there any suggestion he is injured?

Just now, Shadow Play said:

When he wasn’t on the team sheet I said to my son it could only mean he is injured or a deal is about to be made with some club.  Is there any suggestion he is injured?

Mr S is usually spot on. Only thing is - I don't see in the logic in selling Mulligan if we're in a fight to hang onto McCowan. Must be some f**king offer Hearts made, but don't see where they'd play him either?

Weird one.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Mr S is usually spot on. Only thing is - I don't see in the logic in selling Mulligan if we're in a fight to hang onto McCowan. Must be some f**king offer Hearts made, but don't see where they'd play him either?

Weird one.

I don't know that much about him, but he's a central midfielder right? Would be amazed if we added another in there. Especially if it is going to cost a significant fee.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Weird one.

Did Mulligan not just sign a new contract? 2 years I’m thinking?

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

I don't know that much about him, but he's a central midfielder right? Would be amazed if we added another in there. Especially if it is going to cost a significant fee.

He's an enigma. Best position is probably CM, but played most of his football at RB for us and Scotland U21s. He's absolutely excellent when he gets running at people. Can play wherever you want him on the pitch - bit of the early Mark O'Hara about him in that he's never settled into a position.

I was hoping he'd step in for McCowan if we had eventually lost McCowan though. Don't understand it at all.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

One of the best football stories I've ever heard occurred in today's match:

f**king pissing myself 🤣 thankful too, last thing we needed was a new player injured!

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Did Mulligan not just sign a new contract? 2 years I’m thinking?

He has 1 year left.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Weird one.

Aye, but 'wee rumour' is not usually how he goes about posting when it's definite stuff, just saying.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

He's an enigma. Best position is probably CM, but played most of his football at RB for us and Scotland U21s. He's absolutely excellent when he gets running at people. Can play wherever you want him on the pitch - bit of the early Mark O'Hara about him in that he's never settled into a position.

I was hoping he'd step in for McCowan if we had eventually lost McCowan though. Don't understand it at all.

If he can play a few positions it makes a bit more sense. But centrally we have Baningime, Nieuwenhof,  Devlin, Boateng, Grant, Tait and Dhanda and Spittal can play there too so can't see us after another in that area alone.

Just now, RossBFaeDundee said:

Aye, but 'wee rumour' is not usually how he goes about posting when it's definite stuff, just saying.

Yeah, there is that, definitely. Hopefully nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He has 1 year left.

In that case. Perhaps, and it’s only a complete guess, Dundee don’t want to risk losing Mulligan and McCowan for nothing at the end of the season so have decided at least one should / could leave.  If it was a choice between losing Mulligan and McCowan at this stage of their careers I’d rather lose Mulligan.  That’s not a criticism of Mulligan in any way as I think in a few years time he will be a truly exceptional player.

9 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

If he can play a few positions it makes a bit more sense. But centrally we have Baningime, Nieuwenhof,  Devlin, Boateng, Grant, Tait and Dhanda and Spittal can play there too so can't see us after another in that area alone.

Yeah, doesn't ring true at all from a Hearts perspective.

Edited by DC92

Excellent first half, and the 3-0 lead was entirely deserved. 

It was always going to be a different second half but I think it was more comfortable than it felt at the time. It’s just we know what tends to happen when we let a team get back to within 1, so all it would have taken was a slip, a stupid foul, a lucky break and the nerves would really have set in.

How it wasn’t a red card for Taylor I’ll never know, but at least it all worked out in the end. 

On 04/08/2024 at 21:21, Ludo*1 said:

Tough, tough game. Reckon Hearts will push Rangers all the way for 2nd spot and if they're as shite as I'm expecting, I wouldn't put it past Hearts doing it. We have a semi-decent record against Hearts though. Looking forward to it.

38 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Like Ludo says, what's going on with Mulligan is a mystery. He came back from his loan a couple of seasons back with a couple of Peterhead lads on here raving about him, saying that the sky was the limit etc. IIRC he played as more or less a RW/RWB for them. He made a few cameos at the end of that season, including scoring where he just ran straight up the middle of the pitch from our own half and curled a pearler into the top corner. We really thought we had something. He's done similar when playing in a sort of free, advanced midfield role a couple of times, but more often than not he gets trotted out at RWB/RB where he never looks anything like as threatening or capable, and for some reason he doesn't seem to get the same opportunities the other young lads do.

I've always thought that he had by far and away the highest ceiling of any of the crop of youngsters we have around the 21/22/23 mark. Far more so than Fin Robertson who was playing 1st team football at 16, and even more so than Lyall Cameron who has been a fixture in the side for the past couple of seasons and earns rave reviews. Mulligan has a physical side to his game Cameron lacks, and has a habit of pulling wee moments out of the hat where you really see the inherent ability, but for some mystifying reason he's spent most of the last 18 months getting splinters in his arse or being (what is in my opinion) played totally out of position.