Dundee FC vs Heart of Midlothian - 5:30pm Kick-off - 10/08/24

10 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Last season was last season. 

Mulligan in for Cameron to give better balance in midfield. Would be harsh on Tiffoney not finding a way into the starting 11 but I think Docherty might look to bring him on around the 60th minute mark again. 

We beat them at dens last season and found ourselves in winning positions in 2 other games, albeit managing to shoot ourselves in the foot both times. 

Hearts are a good side and we need to be at our best to win, but we can do it. We won’t play as bad as we did for 60 minutes against United…I don’t think anyway. 

The game at Tynecastle we were getting pummeled and hit them twice on the break to lead. The goals eventually came for Hearts as the game continued in the same vein. There was no shooting in the foot. The game at Dens we led was one of the better performances of the season - we were harshly done with the scandalous penalty. Hearts have improved alot since then though. I'd be looking at something like:

McCracken

Ingram Portales Astley Larkeche

Tiffoney McGhee Sylla McCowan Muligan

Murray 

That's with me complaining about McGhee in centre midfield for years, we simply don't have anyone else though. He'd give more dig than Robertson IMO. Hearts right back looks a player and Mulligan would maybe beable to stifle him. 

Thank you. 

It's fixture of the weekend, imo. I think there are a lot of interesting games coming up with probably quite a few teams feeling they had a good opening day.

Feels like a really interesting start to the season. I'd take a point on Saturday, but a win would represent a really strong start in a run of fixtures that is challenging for Hearts, both in number and nature.

1 minute ago, DC92 said:

All this nonsense chat about finishing 2nd has "back down to earth with a bump" written all over it. Good tactic from the Dundee fans.

Especially when you consider that, looking at next season's Champions League, it's hard to see Dundee not making the semis. Tough evening ahead.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Especially when you consider that, looking at next season's Champions League, it's hard to see Dundee not making the semis. Tough evening ahead.

Wouldn't be the first time tbf.

15 minutes ago, DC92 said:

All this nonsense chat about finishing 2nd has "back down to earth with a bump" written all over it. Good tactic from the Dundee fans.

Do you really think the prospect of Hearts finishing 2nd is nonsense?

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Penalty FC will finish second.

Yeah, probably. 

Considering how well Hearts have strengthened and how utterly bang average Rangers look, I don't think it is an outrageous suggestion. The fallout from castle greyskull would be tremendous.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Don't see what concern this is of yours. Aberdeen have title celebrations to prepare.

The Jimmy thelin roadmap has the title pencilled in for 25/26 with him getting the Real Madrid job after our champions league campaign. This season will likely be 4th at best with two cups as a signal of intent. 

22 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Yeah, probably. 

Considering how well Hearts have strengthened and how utterly bang average Rangers look, I don't think it is an outrageous suggestion. The fallout from castle greyskull would be tremendous.

Not for me.

I think once you factor in the (at least) eight European games, there's no chance whatsoever.

With this squad and absolutely no European distraction, Rangers having a complete nightmare, Hearts avoiding injuries, carrying loads of luck, and maintaining top form, then maybe.

But realistically, we're not going to overhaul a club with a huge multiple of our budget while spending half the season playing pretty much every midweek. To do so would mean coming off the back of European games and winning on a Sunday at places like Easter Road, Rugby Park, Pittodrie, etc. And I don't think we'll do that.

Third by a goal would be a great outcome.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 minute ago, tullydee said:

Will miss this one as in Glasgow.  Can anyone recommend any pubs  near Glasgow Central Station who have Premier Sports and will show this?

Thank you in advance.

The Horseshoe surely has Premier Sports. I'd call them and check. Wonderful boozer.

22 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Yeah, probably. 

It's not outrageous but highly unlikely.  It would need something of Leicester 15/16-esque proportions for Hearts to sustain such a performance over the whole season.  And, they have the distraction of Europe on top.  

You have to assume Rangers will improve and strengthen from where they were at the weekend.  Maybe by nicking Shankland which would be a double whammy in the context of any battle for 2nd place.

40 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

We couldn't beat them Saturday at home when they looked a really poor rangers side. I think if you are to have a chance you need to beat them at home.

3rd place is the realistic target again. 

38 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

We're only one game into the season and a home draw against them isn't enough to make me think we'll overhaul a 17 point gap from last season.

We beat a "weak" Celtic team on the opening day 3 years ago and they went on to win the league with 93 points. A lot can and probably will change between now and the end of the window.

At the moment I'd bite your hand off for 3rd place again.

Just now, DC92 said:

We're only one game into the season and a home draw against them isn't enough to make me think we'll overhaul a 17 point gap from last season.

We beat a "weak" Celtic team on the opening day 3 years ago and they went on to win the league with 93 points. A lot can and probably will change between now and the end of the window.

At the moment I'd bite your hand off for 3rd place again.

That's fair. 

3rd place will always be the goal, reasonably and rightfully so.

36 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

That's fair. 

3rd place will always be the goal, reasonably and rightfully so.

Without raking over old coals, that's both 100% true and 100% shocking in equal measure.