The Spider's v The Lion's/Friday 9th August.

When the injured return we have nothing to fear going forward, Murray was brilliant and Mauchin and Rudden had excellent games. Longridge played his heart out but he is struggling at this level now. Entertaining game nonetheless. Draw about right.

Terrific debut from Dane Murray and Zac Mauchin had perhaps the best game I've seen from him. Thought we were the better team in the first half and the players deserved that half time ovation. The second half though was dominated by Livi especially in midfield where they seemed to pick up every ball that was going. Good to see Zak Rudden getting his goal and giving an all round good performance leading the line. More of the same please.

The final whistle came as a bit of a relief but that second ovation for the team gladdened the heart of this old spider.

BTW Lesser Hampden isn't fit for Championship football. That toilet queue, jeez.

That was an entertaining game. We stood up well to a physically stronger opponent and as our confidence grew, we passed our way into the game. 

Am feeling more confident about the season ahead, now.

Lesser continues to infuriate and embarrass in equal measure.

Just now, AyrshireTon said:

Do tell....

He was getting a few jeers and shouts from queens fans through the whole game, first half he tried to kick Ferrie and got a talking to, but then second half he squaffed a volley and looked like he was seething. Punched the ground, shouted something, then tried to shove Ferrie again
Pathetic

Started off well enough, dominating possession and building attacks, but we got predictable and one dimensional in our approach, slow build up play and diagonal balls into the box, the one time we ran at them and got to the byeline, we cut it back with a crossed floated ball, instead of driving it across the 6 yard box. QP grew into the game and looked threatening hitting us on the break, a lot more direct getting the ball down and running at us, could see their goal coming, and as the game went on they were the better team.

2nd half we were a bit better, esp once Sole came on and we had someone taking the ball and running at them, getting past players, Kelly moving to the wing for Shinnie was a better balance too. If Martindale would only start Sole when Muirhead is playing we'd have a better attack, getting the ball into the box for Muirhead, instead of playing him on the wing and him knocking in diagonal balls. And getting Green on from the start too, someone that will turn over possession and move it quickly forward, we really need to be more direct and get on the front foot, instead of knocking balls up to Yengi with his back to goal. He struggled with his first touch because he was always stretching for the ball, or jumping to bring the ball down with a defender right on top of him.

On the whole a draw was a decent result after going a goal behind, we'll really need to improve our attack though, and get a better starting XI, but like last season, i fear Martindale stubbornly sticking to what we're doing, trying to grind out results.

15 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

He was getting a few jeers and shouts from queens fans through the whole game, first half he tried to kick Ferrie and got a talking to, but then second half he squaffed a volley and looked like he was seething. Punched the ground, shouted something, then tried to shove Ferrie again
Pathetic

Understandable frustration with himself, not scoring there, was a good ball in and he just missed getting a foot to it.

Green not starting seems to be down to fitness. Rice said the lad wasn't ready for 90 minutes yet and hasn't had much experience of senior football in his career. His time will come

24 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Understandable frustration with himself, not scoring there, was a good ball in and he just missed getting a foot to it.

Sure, but he's a professional footballer, he should be able to take that instead of resorting to "who's the nearest person I can shove"
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Robbie Muirhead

12 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

Sure, but he's a professional footballer, he should be able to take that instead of resorting to "who's the nearest person I can shove"
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Robbie Muirhead

Ohright, thought you were meaning the punching of the ground, i never noticed him shoving a QP player afterwards.

24 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Green not starting seems to be down to fitness. Rice said the lad wasn't ready for 90 minutes yet and hasn't had much experience of senior football in his career. His time will come

I'd rather we start him then and play him as much as possible, then bring Lawal on for him later, they're similar players, in that they both get on the ball and instinctively move forward with it, going on the front foot. Too many times our first instinct was to turn back, and miss one of our players making a run.

In comparison QP's players knocked the ball down the channels without even looking, knowing a player was already on the move down the wing. Might be we're not yet in sync with everyone yet right enough, but it's frustrating to watch.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

29 minutes ago, an86 said:

Point was about right. Frustrating way to lose a goal and it looked like Rudden should burst the net to make it 2-1. Thought Murray was excellent. 

I’ve been harsh there. Great block on the Rudden chance on second viewing. 

On 09/08/2024 at 21:51, qpfc said:

I’d be tempted to have mauchin ahead of longridge at right back next week. I like longridge but he was dragged all over the place at times 

I'm assuming the arrival of Murray and signing of Fieldson means that if Davidson continues with 3 at the back, he could indeed start Mauchin at RWB with Kerr as the RCB?