Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

How many trophies have Forrest and Taylor won? Including numerous European appearances. 

There isn’t a world in which you can suggest Ryan Gauld has so far had a better career than James Forrest. 

I don’t think it’s crazy that he hasn’t been given an opportunity given the other options, but I would agree given his skill set and us needing a different type of midfielder that he should be called up now. 

No idea, but players with dual nationality always seem to switch about at youth level. He is obviously also miles off an England call up at the moment!

Aye cause winning trophies or playing European football at Celtic is some kind of achievement 😂

Not sure why you are comparing careers here, I never mentioned anything about their careers.. Limited players can do very well for themselves in the game if they manage their career the right way which is credit to these players. 

Also, Forrest is four years older and has played in Scotland all his life whereas Gauld has put himself out of his comfort zone playing in very decent leagues that are arguably better than Scotland and has been getting rave reviews. 

You must be one of the few people that don't think it's mental he hasn't been given a cap by this stage then. 

How many trophies have Forrest and Taylor won? Including numerous European appearances. 

There isn’t a world in which you can suggest Ryan Gauld has so far had a better career than James Forrest. 

I don’t think it’s crazy that he hasn’t been given an opportunity given the other options, but I would agree given his skill set and us needing a different type of midfielder that he should be called up now. 

If that's a criteria then forrest and taylor have had better careers than Andy Robertson, McTominay and mcginn as they have won more trophy's.

It's obviously not as simple as that. And I agree it's not easy to assess. But it's not like gauld has been quiet out in the MLS. He's been outstanding for a good while. The fact he hasn't been in a squad to assess him and see what he can offer is crazy. And really poor from the manager.

15 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Aye cause winning trophies or playing European football at Celtic is some kind of achievement 😂

Not sure why you are comparing careers here, I never mentioned anything about their careers.. Limited players can do very well for themselves in the game if they manage their career the right way which is credit to these players. 

Also, Forrest is four years older and has played in Scotland all his life whereas Gauld has put himself out of his comfort zone playing in very decent leagues that are arguably better than Scotland and has been getting rave reviews. 

You must be one of the few people that don't think it's mental he hasn't been given a cap by this stage then. 

By that token, I’m not sure playing and doing well in America is some kind of achievement either. 

I’m not sure what very decent leagues Gauld has regularly been playing in tbh. 

I very much doubt there is a majority that think it’s mental that Gauld doesn’t have a cap. 

10 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

If that's a criteria then forrest and taylor have had better careers than Andy Robertson, McTominay and mcginn as they have won more trophy's.

It's obviously not as simple as that. And I agree it's not easy to assess. But it's not like gauld has been quiet out in the MLS. He's been outstanding for a good while. The fact he hasn't been in a squad to assess him and see what he can offer is crazy. And really poor from the manager.

Happy for him to be in the squad next month, and at least we’ll get an idea of where he is at ability wise in comparison to our other midfielders. 

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

By that token, I’m not sure playing and doing well in America is some kind of achievement either. 

I very much doubt there is a majority that think it’s mental that Gauld doesn’t have a cap. 

Happy for him to be in the squad next month, and at least we’ll get an idea of where he is at ability wise in comparison to our other midfielders. 

Ok let's say that happens and he plays and does well, at that point will it have been a balls up not having him in for the euros and before?

Just now, Old Bing said:

Ok let's say that happens and he plays and does well, at that point will it have been a balls up not having him in for the euros and before?

Haha good question - possibly as an alternative option that was embedded into the squad going into the Euros.

Obviously we were excellent in the qualifiers, so there weren’t any mistakes made there. 

49 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Haha good question - possibly as an alternative option that was embedded into the squad going into the Euros.

Obviously we were excellent in the qualifiers, so there weren’t any mistakes made there. 

Well yeah, but it's been quite a while since we've been anywhere near excellent.

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Greg Taylor has won more trophies than Harry Kane. That doesn't make him a better player or that he's had a "better career".

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

MLS is certainly a better league than Scotland and one that is improving all the time. I doubt a spfl team could attract a player like Messi etc. 

The Portugese league is well ahead of the spfl, if you can't see that then I don't know what else to say here. 

Oh. Clarke should also take a wee hop, skip and a jump to Belgium and have a chat with Adedire Mebude to see were his allegiances lie.

Whilst he's at it, he should watch David Bates, too. That's another clean sheet for Standard Liège. 4 out of 5 clean sheets playing in a defensive trio.

Never hurts to get some fresh faces through the door... or rather, fresh face. Bates has four caps.

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

Oh. Clarke should also take a wee hop, skip and a jump to Belgium and have a chat with Adedire Mebude to see were his allegiances lie.

Whilst he's at it, he should watch David Bates, too. That's another clean sheet for Standard Liège. 4 out of 5 clean sheets playing in a defensive trio.

Never hurts to get some fresh faces through the door... or rather, fresh face. Bates has four caps.

Why would there be a question of where Mebude’s allegiances are…

11 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Greg Taylor has won more trophies than Harry Kane. That doesn't make him a better player or that he's had a "better career".

I mean that example has absolutely no merit in this discussion, given Gauld has never played in a top league.

The level someone has played at quite clearly comes into it - but when two players spend their careers at relatively similar levels and one wins numerous trophies, represents their country and plays European football then…

37 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I mean that example has absolutely no merit in this discussion, given Gauld has never played in a top league.

The level someone has played at quite clearly comes into it - but when two players spend their careers at relatively similar levels and one wins numerous trophies, represents their country and plays European football then…

It's still largely meaningless.

Your argument holds little weight to be honest,

Celtic play in Europe every year and expected to win trophies each season, no team can or will ever come close to competing so your granny's dog could win something there. 

Gauld not playing for Scotland is more down to the midfield options we have compared to what we got defensively and having a manager unwilling to give him a chance which happens in a lot of national teams. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

20 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

You are trying to point out that you think Gauld doesn't fit Clarke's system.

It's not that. I imagine he would be well suited to playing as a #10, so there would be space to accommodate him especially as he's a left footer.

The point I wanted to convey is that the system at Scotland might not prioritise him in the same way as it does at Vancouver Whitecaps where he is one of their most valuable players. I would expect him to be more of a cog in the machine at Scotland. I don't think it's likely the Scotland team would be restructured around Gauld such as it has been around Tierney, Robertson, McGinn and McTominay.

What is the chances we see something out of the ordinary with this squad?

I mean like Dembele, Harvey Barnes, Hayden Hackney or someone we are not expecting?

I would hope Conway, Doak and some other younger players are now chosen and will be squad regulars but also to be given good game time.

On 24/08/2024 at 12:45, Distant Doonhamer said:

Dykes not in QPR squad today. Presumably injured.

Edit to add, possibly on the move?

Well he's not injured..............

On 25/08/2024 at 06:54, Quentin Taranbino said:

Calvin Ramsay 'close to being included in Scotland squad' according to Wigan manager.

On 25/08/2024 at 07:03, No_Problemo said:

I’m guessing he means potential wise, because he absolutely shouldn’t be near it at the moment - even with the injuries.

On 25/08/2024 at 10:19, No_Problemo said:

Yeah - slight injury according to Maloney. 

He has started one game this season in the cup, and other than that he hasn’t even been able to break into the Wigan team in league one for the season starting.  After a horrible season last year of not getting near it and starting two games across two loan spells. He hasn’t played football regularly for years now, and shouldn’t be near the squad until he looks to have overcome his injury issues and get a regular run IMO. 

It should be Ralston and Johnston, and even if one of them was injured I would be calling up a Scottish league jobber as a stop gap. 

I think he's still eligible for the 21's. Surely Maloney's referring to that? He cannot seriously be a candidate for the full side at this moment ahead of Ralston and Johnston.

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well he's not injured..............

I think he's still eligible for the 21's. Surely Maloney's referring to that? He cannot seriously be a candidate for the full side at this moment ahead of Ralston and Johnston.

I didn’t even think of the 21’s for some reason - that would make far more sense!

I broke down the squad by position and then by minutes played as a percentage of those available to put it together in one picture.

image.png.1e2166ca9a2ea8fe80fa9de0224c88ef.png

Hendry missed his clubs first match of the season due to the birth of his first son, but presumably will be fine. Cooper is without a club although linked with Hull City. Right wing-back is an obvious issue and so it makes some sense that Calvin Ramsay may have had contact from Scotland and no doubt Max Johnston has also. 

There is probably space(s) in midfield given the McGregor, Armstrong, Jack and Ferguson situations although maybe points more to a player like Barron than Gauld in my opinion or maybe both. Those areas apart it's maybe more preference than need. Perhaps the fitness for selection forms might drive the rumour around Ramsay, Barron, Gauld and so on being called up. 

5 hours ago, ahemps said:

What is the chances we see something out of the ordinary with this squad?

Comparatively high because Clarke has already stated there is need for some kind of refresh of the squad in terms of its age profile. McGregor has retired and we have still significant injuries to important players. I'm not expecting wholesale changes or even anything too out of the box, but I think there will be differences even if it's more Barron than Barnes.

Edited by 2426255

My take: a realistic balance of new and exciting vs Clarke stoic approach (bolded ones are the younger 'refresh' players):

Gunn
Clark
McRorie

Hanley
Hendry
McKenna
Porteous
Souttar

Robertson
Doig

Ralston
Johnston

Gilmour
Barron
McTominay
McGinn
Armstrong
Christie

Dykes
Adams
Shankland
Conway
Doak

Wildcards - in increasing order of unlikeliness - might be: Gauld, Dembele, Livramento 

Edited by Gordopolis

At which point do we give lennon miller serious consideration. Just turner 18 and already played 45 first team games. Not just played but actually stood out in the majority of these as looking a level above those around him. Should we not start giving him a test at this level now. 

Albeit a different scenario but spain recognise that some young players are special cases and put them to senior football straight away,.