Too wee, poor and stupid

GTee

7 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

No, I don’t think Brits built all the standing stones on all 5 continents 🤭

Why, therefore, do you ckaim that building standing stones is a particularly British tradition? It quite obviously isn't.

22 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Why, therefore, do you ckaim that building standing stones is a particularly British tradition? It quite obviously isn't.

‘Particularly’ is a word added by you, not me.

It’s not uniquely British, but is still British.

Queuing is another fine British tradition.

17 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

‘Particularly’ is a word added by you, not me.

It’s not uniquely British, but is still British.

Queuing is another fine British tradition.

So, this is the greatest tradition Britain can offer the world.

image.jpeg.bc80c51f06993563993f296e8ea763ed.jpeg

Queueing to park at the Stonehenge visitor centre. Wow! That looks great!

7 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, you're just providing vague soundbites rather than actually being able to name one solitary thing that I can value & cherish about my so-called British identity. That's some advert for the Union.

I'll bite again though. Given your use of "thousands", can you name one British tradition from two or more millenia ago?

Here's a map of the island of Great Britain in AD 43, divided into various groupings.

Map of the British Isles in AD 43

Perhaps you can give details of the British traditions we consiously or unconciously adhere to from (say) the Durotriges or the Coritani?

Those are all names used by mainly Pliny (the elder i think) and don't necessarily correspond to any actual tribal groupings and the territories are at best an approximation and are mostly guesswork. 

The Romans would have called all of those people Britons and Celts too. Doesn't mean that's what they thought of themselves as. 

I thought perhaps roundabouts, but the plucky Brits are whipped soundly by the cheese eating surrender monkeys on the traffic circle front

With a total of 42,986 roundabouts over the country, France takes the lead as the country with the most roundabouts in the world, even having 65% more roundabouts than the UK, which is the second country on the list.Nov 6, 2023

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I thought perhaps roundabouts, but the plucky Brits are whipped soundly by the cheese eating surrender monkeys on the traffic circle front

With a total of 42,986 roundabouts over the country, France takes the lead as the country with the most roundabouts in the world, even having 65% more roundabouts than the UK, which is the second country on the list.Nov 6, 2023

Roundabouts are a fine French, and East Kilbride, tradition.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

That's okay.  We've got more swings.

Can someone, in very basic terms explain the energy price cap. We've all been paying for our gas and electricity forever. I can't recall growing up, my parents referring to a price cap. It went up or down a bit. But this has never been referred to as a 'price cap'. We are laying an undersea cable between Scotland and England because we have too much wind power. Is it a gas thing. 🤷

15 minutes ago, GTee said:

Can someone, in very basic terms explain the energy price cap. We've all been paying for our gas and electricity forever. I can't recall growing up, my parents referring to a price cap. It went up or down a bit. But this has never been referred to as a 'price cap'. We are laying an undersea cable between Scotland and England because we have too much wind power. Is it a gas thing. 🤷

It's very simple. Scotland has too mich electricity. London doesn't have enough. 

They take our excess power from us at a cut price rate, We shoulld be thankful.

Now shut up and eat your cereal.

15 minutes ago, GTee said:

Depending when you grew up your parents might have been paying the electricity board, who charged what they could politically. Because we had a load of coal and gas, it was usually supplied at a price that covered costs. 

Since Thatcher bribed voters with tax cuts paid for with their own colkective wealth, there's been a market for different bits of the supply chain. There's been price caps for all bits of this since the 90s. We need price caps because no one really believes that we could have a free market that works for society, so some bullshit regulated market got used instead. As well as covering costs, the cap needs to cover cost of capital, in interest and dividends that need paid to investors. 

It's only recently that the price has gone high enough for media types to notice them, so they're now taking an interest in the consumer price cap that has actually been affecting people who notice their bills for 30 years. 

It's largely a gas thing because of how we generate our power and buy our fuel. Global gas prices are rising again. 

But it's also an ideology thing. 

On 24/08/2024 at 00:40, coprolite said:

Depending when you grew up your parents might have been paying the electricity board, who charged what they could politically. Because we had a load of coal and gas, it was usually supplied at a price that covered costs. 

Since Thatcher bribed voters with tax cuts paid for with their own colkective wealth, there's been a market for different bits of the supply chain. There's been price caps for all bits of this since the 90s. We need price caps because no one really believes that we could have a free market that works for society, so some bullshit regulated market got used instead. As well as covering costs, the cap needs to cover cost of capital, in interest and dividends that need paid to investors. 

It's only recently that the price has gone high enough for media types to notice them, so they're now taking an interest in the consumer price cap that has actually been affecting people who notice their bills for 30 years. 

It's largely a gas thing because of how we generate our power and buy our fuel. Global gas prices are rising again. 

But it's also an ideology thing. 

The price cap being in place is something that we should all be thankful for in that mental prices period.

One other aspect of why we see our bills look worse now is a stupid bit of policy from the last government to decouple the supply entities from the generation entities. Still the same overall PLC for some, but what used to happen is that the 'big 6' were the generators and the suppliers, so when electricity prices were high, they made bigger profits on the generation side and were able to reduce the bills. On the flip, they could charge more (but not quite make up the difference) to suppliers when generation made less. Meant the companies could offset poor supply profits from the generation side and a lot of the supply parts of the businesses ran at a loss or a very small margin.

Tories decided that there wasn't enough competition in the supply side and opened it all up. Impact was that companies split out their supply businesses which then had to turn a profit, so bills went up and while there were more choice of supply companies, it was unsustainable and you can see now we have ended up back where we started with only a handful of supply companies, but not linked directly to generation and so cannot offset the higher prices.