Motherwell Vs Hearts - 25/08/24

Back to league action on Sunday for Motherwell, will be interesting to see if any of the subs that came on at the weekend will play from the start.

I reckon a European hangover will mean a 2-1 win for Motherwell, the bold Tawanda grabbing the winning goal.

Ref is John Beaton.

VAR is Andrew Dallas.

4 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Back to league action on Sunday for Motherwell, will be interesting to see if any of the subs that came on at the weekend will play from the start.

I reckon a European hangover will mean a 2-1 win for Motherwell, the bold Tawanda grabbing the winning goal.

Ref is John Beaton.

VAR is Andrew Dallas.

Aye, hopefully Plzeň can give them a bit of a runaround tonight. Hearts have been far from great so far but there's no doubt they have a lot of quality in their squad. Even if they change it up a bit they're still going to be a tough challenge. 

We're still really struggling in the middle and will continue to do so until the injury list starts to clear. Wilson has been absolutely fine in the whole, and I think will turn into a decent option for us at lb/lwb but with Seddon back fit there, I'm  not sure he's suited to the advanced role he played vs Killie. I know it was a case of 'needs must' but it's a lot of pressure on a young lad finding his feet at first team level playing an unfamiliar role and we need to change it up in there somehow. 

A draw would be completely acceptable here, but a late T.Watt goal vs one of his many former employers would be sweet. I'll put my money on that and go 2-1 'Well with the bold Tony netting at the death.

Hard to tell how we'll be with tonight's game on the horizon, but I don't think we'll rotate anywhere near as heavily as we did last weekend. We'll make a couple of changes no doubt, but the spine should still be pretty strong.

We could really do with a win, don't want to be falling too far behind teams above us, even at this stage. I'll go for a narrow 2-1 away win with a Blair Spittal winner.

Edited by Tony Wonder

Hearts still in the tie, it would be folly to play the first XI.  No opposition team has scored at Fir Park this season, Motherwell haven’t scored a goal for themselves in the league.  Why would it not be 0-0?

Had a look at the Hearts bench 🫣. Forrest, McKay, Dhanda, Spittal, Halkett, Dhanda and Boyce all on their bench, even if they make 5 or 6 changes they probably still have a stronger team than we do on paper. Hopefully they'll have one eye on the second leg and won't be crying about us.

I wouldn't be resting anyone unless they genuinely need it. We'll still be in Europe regardless of what happens next Thursday.

I would love to see us score a goal.

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I wouldn't be resting anyone unless they genuinely need it. We'll still be in Europe regardless of what happens next Thursday.

I would love to see us score a goal.

Same. Would maybe change one or two from tonight's team to make us a bit more attacking as we were obviously set up to contain and counter, but we shouldn't be resting players.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Same. Would maybe change one or two from tonight's team to make us a bit more attacking as we were obviously set up to contain and counter, but we shouldn't be resting players.

Yes, tactical changes rather than resting players. I'd expect Dhanda to come in for example.

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Yeah. Wouldn't mind a look at Salazar as well.

Salazar not being named in the squad for the playoffs and then not getting on the bench last week suggested to me that he's not up to speed yet. I suspect we won't see him starting until after the international break.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Salazar not being named in the squad for the playoffs and then not getting on the bench last week suggested to me that he's not up to speed yet. I suspect we won't see him starting until after the international break.

He's good to go apparently,  not being in the playoffs squad is a restriction of his visa, he can't leave the country until so many days pass. Tagawa and Nieuwenhof missed out against Rosenborg away for the same reason.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

He's good to go apparently,  not being in the playoffs squad is a restriction of his visa, he can't leave the country until so many days pass. Tagawa and Nieuwenhof missed out against Rosenborg away for the same reason.

I know about the visa restriction, but Tagawa and Nieuwenhof were still included the squad and one of them played in the home leg while the other was on the bench. Salazar hasn't made the squad at all which suggests he might be a bit off full fitness. Then again, maybe Naismith didn't want to put any noses out of joint by dropping a player for someone who couldn't play in one of the legs.

10 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I know about the visa restriction, but Tagawa and Nieuwenhof were still included the squad and one of them played in the home leg while the other was on the bench. Salazar hasn't made the squad at all which suggests he might be a bit off full fitness. Then again, maybe Naismith didn't want to put any noses out of joint by dropping a player for someone who couldn't play in one of the legs.

I think it's exactly because of that tbh, someone needs to be dropped if he came in and it doesn't make much sense to have a weaker squad for tonight's game. Squad last season was much weaker so easier to include them. 

He's definitely fit.

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

We've sold our end out. Is that the whole stand, or did Motherwell cut allocations this season?

Had a look on our ticket website and it looks like there has been another block put on sale, I suspect it was just the top tier that was sold.

32 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Had a look on our ticket website and it looks like there has been another block put on sale, I suspect it was just the top tier that was sold.

We'd definitely been selling lower too, but I wonder if some have been kept back for a walk up gate or something

Cannot see hearts winning this tbh hate to say it as a jambo but we have been awful so far this season and players look not interested or Naismith tactics have been questionable at best.

4 hours ago, MENTALFATHER79 said:

Cannot see hearts winning this tbh hate to say it as a jambo but we have been awful so far this season and players look not interested or Naismith tactics have been questionable at best.

Excellent against Rangers and Plizen. That's two out of four where we've not been awful.