Doonhamers v Diamonds, Diddy Cup 7 Sept

So, an early break from the league in the cup that few seem to want - even with more prize money at stake.  After a LC group stage win for the Diamonds in North Lanarkshire the backdrop shifts south to Dumfries.  Both sides have made a stuttering start to their league campaigns.  Who will come out on top? Who will field the weakest team?  Who will be most injury hit? Who will actually gives a toss? etc etc etc

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Lack of apostrophes, Qo'S loss I'm afraid. 

My bad etc etc ....

Just out of curiosity, where should there be apostrophes? [asking for a friend, naturally ...]

I plan to go to the game although with many injuries and league matters being more important, I'll not be too bothered about seeing a new name on whatever it's called trophy. 

Can't remember the last time we won at Palmerston - maybe the last match featuring Archibald's doomed but exciting Spanish adventure about twenty years ago.The League cup game was quite close and Queens ought to have been in the lead first. 

46 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I plan to go to the game although with many injuries and league matters being more important, I'll not be too bothered about seeing a new name on whatever it's called trophy.*

The League cup game was quite close and Queens ought to have been in the lead first. **

* Exactly my thinking as well tbh. 

** Thought we looked good that day and had Lyon and Cochrane not gone off injured we may have got a result. 

My feelings about this cup are well known but it's probably come at a good time for us. Ideally gives our injured guys another week to recover and we can't fall further behind in the league. It also gives our fit players another game to gel. I sincerely don't care about the result but ideally we show signs of improvement in an attacking sense. 

8 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

My bad etc etc ....

Just out of curiosity, where should there be apostrophes? [asking for a friend, naturally ...]

In the wrong place. 

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I plan to go to the game although with many injuries and league matters being more important, I'll not be too bothered about seeing a new name on whatever it's called trophy. 

Can't remember the last time we won at Palmerston - maybe the last match featuring Archibald's doomed but exciting Spanish adventure about twenty years ago.The League cup game was quite close and Queens ought to have been in the lead first. 

Not quite, that was your 2nd most recent victory here (on 12th February 2001). Still bitter about that. Allowed to register almost your entire team by special dispensation after forgetting to do so before the deadline, knocked us out thanks to a missed QoS penalty in the 89th minute and you breaking upfield to score a 3rd goal from the rebound. Then were thrown out of the competition within 48 hours for being unable to guarantee future participation. Quite why we were not reinstated has never sat right. Instead Peterhead got a bye to the last 8 which was an absolute nonsense. None of that Airdrie's fault per se but a nonsense piece of decision making from the SFA.

You did win here once under the Airdrie United guise though. 3-0 on 28th April 2007. End of season fayre for us who were playing for nothing but you guys needed the result and it showed. You've only actually played here 9 times in the 17 years since to be fair. 6 QoS wins and 3 draws.

Yeah, as I said in the OP - I don't expect many posters to be in favour of this cup.  It's not a priority of mine (the league is obviously) but it's a very rare chance of winning silverware and now also with some better dosh along with it.  In summary, silverware possibilities for me:

Overall league champions - no chance, only available to two clubs, the other 40 clubs effectively excluded

Winning the Diddy league your club is in - depends on your club, but for Queens it is at least a possibility, even if a rare one

Scottish Cup - no chance, almost an impossibility for a club like Queens (yes, I know, 2008 final and all that - but that was a rare alignment of circumstances in our favour, unlikely to ever be repeated)

League Cup - no chance, almost an impossibility for a club like Queens

Diddy Cup - our only real (if an outside) chance of knock-out cup silverware for Queens (four finals and two wins to date)

So basically, each season we only have chances of winning two competitions - our Diddy league and the Diddy Cup ... so let's forget about the second one, good idea, aye?

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not quite, that was your 2nd most recent victory here (on 12th February 2001). Still bitter about that. Allowed to register almost your entire team by special dispensation after forgetting to do so before the deadline, knocked us out thanks to a missed QoS penalty in the 89th minute and you breaking upfield to score a 3rd goal from the rebound. Then were thrown out of the competition within 48 hours for being unable to guarantee future participation. Quite why we were not reinstated has never sat right. Instead Peterhead got a bye to the last 8 which was an absolute nonsense. None of that Airdrie's fault per se but a nonsense piece of decision making from the SFA.

You did win here once under the Airdrie United guise though. 3-0 on 28th April 2007. End of season fayre for us who were playing for nothing but you guys needed the result and it showed. You've only actually played here 9 times in the 17 years since to be fair. 6 QoS wins and 3 draws.

Thanks for the update and I now think the 3-0 game might have had a Paul Lovering free kick? Yes it was the usual poor decision by the SFA. One of my travelling passengers is also the club archivist so I usually rely on him for stats ! Might be due a win then! Cheers 

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for the update and I now think the 3-0 game might have had a Paul Lovering free kick? Yes it was the usual poor decision by the SFA. One of my travelling passengers is also the club archivist so I usually rely on him for stats ! Might be due a win then! Cheers 

Stuart Taylor, Ian Harty and Paul Lovering scored the goals (in that order). I was at the game but can't recall how Lovering scored.

Strangely enough, just been reading about that Airdrie cup tie back in Feb 2001 in ex Queens player Des McKeown's book: "Don't Give Up The Day Job" - fair to say that Des wasn't too happy about the situation either (apologies about the quality of the photo from the book and my hapless attempt at inserting it here) ...

image.thumb.jpeg.f8ad7256e770df3018b2727f1e8c19db.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Those are two fascinating posts with so many names in both sides that I can still picture. Haven't seen that book from Des and he had a good career. 

Here's a link to Des McKeown's book, it's quite an interesting read from the perspective of a player who insisted on staying part-time, gives a good insight into how clubs (he played for both Partick Thistle and Queens in the year covered by the book) at this level operate.  A decent read for fans of Diddy clubs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Give-Day-Job-Footballer/dp/1845966724/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NXW7HEU6WN3B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5nBoA3tquGs8Etak24ZIyYNsP5XFr4iNoQSbs0XBRuX1yTwbRPff-_JNW2NUlrmuwMF8mSj13CiZxRVdUCsZVzoayzcWaeNpCsWmXPP8A7j-nKpM19hreJVlsqpB6wZoOGOISFxuTVFveQUFbFEq3N0Z8aqN6GJGMjR-RmwCa5wfdV3v6OLbupe61vjG5C06-D21rR2_9GIwBHl-2QQvCA.dXY23qe08vkdJXjAiKvol1TVbETzYFLx3wv_KDi5SIk&dib_tag=se&keywords=don't+give+up+the+day+job&qid=1725382711&sprefix=Don't+Give+Up+The+Day+%2Caps%2C399&sr=8-1

16 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Funny story. I bought that book when it first came out. Read it, loved it. When we were clearing the house before we moved to Oz we sold most of the books we had, this one included. The buyer? Mr Des McKeown! 

21 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Funny story. I bought that book when it first came out. Read it, loved it. When we were clearing the house before we moved to Oz we sold most of the books we had, this one included. The buyer? Mr Des McKeown! 

23 hours ago, Swarley said:

That's amazing. 😂