Football Manager 2025

Ludo*1

International management is being removed.

The ability to see a players' weight is being removed.

Touchline shouts are also being removed.

As is the data chalkboard (never used it),  the social media input, as well as game modes such as create-a-club, versus mode, challenge mode, and the fantasy draft.

Is this FM 25 or FM 99? Sounding like a shitshow so far.

I am pretty sure i read before FM24 was released that FM 25 was going to be a rewrite of the match engine to make it look better.

sounds like they have been rewriting the whole game for 2 years now and failed miserably. 

3 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I am pretty sure i read before FM24 was released that FM 25 was going to be a rewrite of the match engine to make it look better.

sounds like they have been rewriting the whole game for 2 years now and failed miserably. 

Definitely feels like since they got involved with Sega the priority has been churning out a release every single October regardless of quality, or whether there is any meaningful change or improvement to the product. I said in the fm24 release thread that I haven't bought an iteration of FM since FM18, but I might have bough this had it been a significant departure from the "patch a flawed product and punt it still flawed" approach of what seems like the past 10+ years, but if it's still more or less the same game they can away and shite.

It's a real shame that all the stuff they introduced with press conferences, player interactions etc never really amounted to anything meaningful. It's easy to just coast through all that stuff giving default answers, and sometimes the player reactions to totally innocuous things are completely ridiculous, which makes it easier and simpler to just ignore all that stuff completely, rendering it pointless even being in the game. God knows how they never got to grips with it because it's all stuff they introduced about 10 years ago at least. It just adds up to the feeling that the game superficially pretends to be immersive, when in actual fact it's about as deep as a puddle.

I also got sick of every single iteration of the match engine having some laughably easy to exploit vulnerability. They'd bam off about having fixed that for their next release, only to release a match engine with a new, laughably easy to exploit vulnerability. I asked on the official forums years ago why they couldn't just take a year out and actually release a finished product for once, or at least patch their previous release until it was in a fairly robust state, but I got told in no uncertain terms that this simply wasn't feasible because Sega demands a new release every calendar year so the $$$ keep rolling in. They've gone the same way EA has with Madden, i.e. punting a half-arsed product because they know there is a captive market.

I'm still playing FM22, never bothered with 23 and they said before they brought out 24 that all energy was going into 25. Whilst they can absolutely remove a lot of useless shite from these games I'm not sure actual management jobs such as International ones was it. Touchline shouts appeared to have no affect on the game so fine with them going. The social media stuff is a load of shite too, we won't miss some regen fan saying our football is boring. If they improve the actual match engine and there aren't glaring holes in the rest of the game I'll probably buy it, but I'll absolutely be waiting a month or two to see how much of a shambles it is. 

Zero f**ks given about the pointless touchline shouts and social media shite.

International football has needed an overhaul, but ditching it entirely is woke nonsense.

On the 'skipping a year' point. This could work in theory if they released a slightly cheaper 'update' version, trialled a few new features with the promise of the brand new all singing and dancing version next year.

They'll still shift loads of copies, but this will bite them on the arse imo.

The weight thing is my biggest bug bear. The 'this is just woke' crew are suggesting it's because they think females will object to disclose their weight which just sounds a bit ehh... misogynistic. The official reason is that weight fluctuates quite a bit so has no real impact.

It has an impact on me dammit. I like to imagine I've got some Eastern European f**king man mountain at CH when I read that they're 6'7 and 18st (or whatever). I'd genuinely be put off signing a 6'5 beanpole Peter Crouch wannabe at CH regardless of stats.

Ponder Think About It GIF by VCG Construction

I've punted really high potential youth Goalies before because they never had a hope in hell of ever growing to 6'2", but I've never really bothered about player weight. Sometimes the game used to give you a screed of 5'4" regens, and it's pretty easy to tell straight away which ones have a chance of making it. 5'6" winger, fair enough. If he has enough potential and shows signs of progress I'll keep him around, but there's no place for a 5'6", 8 stone Centre Forward. It doesn't matter how talented they are, how dominant your team is, or what system you play and instructions you give them, a player of that stature just does not perform anything like a similarly talented player of 6'+ and 12 stone. 

I've never even noticed players putting on weight after a long injury layoff. It does increase in youth players as the grow and age, but once they hit 21 or so it barely ever changes. Provided it plays no part in the match engine, and I have my suspicions that the vast majority of attributes are wholly irrelevant, then I see no issue with dumping it entirely.

16 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I've punted really high potential youth Goalies before because they never had a hope in hell of ever growing to 6'2", but I've never really bothered about player weight. Sometimes the game used to give you a screed of 5'4" regens, and it's pretty easy to tell straight away which ones have a chance of making it. 5'6" winger, fair enough. If he has enough potential and shows signs of progress I'll keep him around, but there's no place for a 5'6", 8 stone Centre Forward. It doesn't matter how talented they are, how dominant your team is, or what system you play and instructions you give them, a player of that stature just does not perform anything like a similarly talented player of 6'+ and 12 stone. 

I've never even noticed players putting on weight after a long injury layoff. It does increase in youth players as the grow and age, but once they hit 21 or so it barely ever changes. Provided it plays no part in the match engine, and I have my suspicions that the vast majority of attributes are wholly irrelevant, then I see no issue with dumping it entirely.

^^^ Gordon Strachan.

Yes, I don't really understand the removal of International management and would be interested to hear their justification for it. 

It's one of the things I only really do once I feel I've "earned" the job by taking a diddy side to European dominance. The next step is to take Scotland to World Cup success while still managing the club side. It removes that next step of progression for me and dilutes enthusiasm for playing long term.

It will completely screw with all the people who only play the game to do "San Marino" challenges and the like.

Yeah, my favourite ever save was my Faroes one. Qualifying for a world cup and successive Euros felt like a real accomplishment.

I have FM24 but not really played it much, I'll be sticking with it though as I won't be buying the game when it doesn't have International management.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yes, I don't really understand the removal of International management and would be interested to hear their justification for it. 

It's one of the things I only really do once I feel I've "earned" the job by taking a diddy side to European dominance. The next step is to take Scotland to World Cup success while still managing the club side. It removes that next step of progression for me and dilutes enthusiasm for playing long term.

It will completely screw with all the people who only play the game to do "San Marino" challenges and the like.

SI said apparently 5% only play it and they are bringing it back to FM26 with improvements. 

In recent weeks, I have also taken steps to free up more of my time to focus solely on development and supporting the wider team. One of our core studio values is Consider the Bigger Picture, and what’s most important right now is focusing on FM25. I mentioned in June that I’d be speaking at the Unite conference in Barcelona as part of the keynote. While we will still have an FM presence there, I will not be making the trip because I need to concentrate all my efforts on directing FM25. It’s for this reason that I will also not be attending Tokyo Game Show, an event I loved last year and really helped make our first-ever release in Japan a big success.

We've to all feel sorry for Miles since he's cancelled his holidays to make FM25. If this gets delayed again after the end of November, they would be better releasing a minor database update for FM24 and charging customers for that. 

20 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

International management is being removed.

This is f**king wild. 

Does anyone actually watch the wee highlights?

22 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We've to all feel sorry for Miles since he's cancelled his holidays to make FM25. If this gets delayed again after the end of November, they would be better releasing a minor database update for FM24 and charging customers for that. 

It would be better if they perfected a base game and just updated the database and charged a small subscription fee instead of releasing a half-baked and buggy "new" version of the game every year.

30 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This is f**king wild. 

Does anyone actually watch the wee highlights?

What do you mean by "wee highlights" specifically?

The highlights of simulated games? Only if I'm not managing the international side and one of my club players is playing. I'll sometimes watch the highlights to see assists and goals they score.

The actual match footage of teams I'm managing? Well yes. In season 1 of a fresh game, it's full match replay until I'm content that the team shape is how I want it, and from then on extended highlights so I can keep an eye on performance, clobber any particularly threatening looking opponent, sub player who are having a stinker etc

Key highlights only for me. It's only the past few years I moved from 2D to 3D. The graphics need an update, but at the expense of removing core features? Not for me. Just make the current game better. 

International management missing feels like a massive red flag about this game.

By their own words they've been developing this game with the Unity engine since 2021, and right at the end they've had to pull one of the most basic parts of the whole game because they can't get it working correctly. This "leaving it out to improve it" seems a lot of balls considering other bugged messes they've left in games then just patched as they go.

Don't care about the weight stuff. It has no impact on the game and most them are randomly generated anyway.

I don't think I'd be rushing to buy this. I'll get it free with gamepass so will certainly give it a go.  International management missing is a bit shit but at least its a quality issue rather than never again.  Can live with that.  

FM24 supposed to be free from today at epic games or something like that so can just grab that and do my international stuff for a year on 24 I guess.