Palermo

Parttimesupporter

Heading to Palermo this weekend.  Had a look at a guide book already but would appreciate any recommendations for hidden gems, restaurants, bars or anything else P&B folks have enjoyed on their travels.   Would also be interested in any recent feedback on city bus tours as on line feedback seems to be mixed.

For context we are two couples, average age over 60 so nothing too adventurous 😅 

Thanks in anticipation.

9 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Heading to Palermo this weekend.  Had a look at a guide book already but would appreciate any recommendations for hidden gems, restaurants, bars or anything else P&B folks have enjoyed on their travels.   Would also be interested in any recent feedback on city bus tours as on line feedback seems to be mixed.

For context we are two couples, average age over 60 so nothing too adventurous 😅 

Thanks in anticipation.

Really nice for a weekend but been a few years since I was there ( pre COVID)

We often use the bus tour in new cities to basically get our bearings and Palermo's was no different.We normally go round once and decide where we are going to get off and do the tourist thing and there is plenty to see as in most Italian cities.As for eating out what we do in Italy is an aimless wander and check we're the locals are eating and try and get in apart from one fancy place down by the marina which the missus had seen on a Rick Stein programme which we went in on the Sunday night ( fully booked Fri/sat) https://lacambusa.it/it/

Also did a mount Etna but we had a hire car for a couple of days so we did Messina as well ( drove around the whole island)

Forgot to mention if you go up Etna take warm clothes...I was the only idiot in shorts 

Also went to a Palermo match so if you can persuade the others it's normal Italian football experience and the ultras display outside the ground was pretty good

2021-07-03.jpg

2021-07-03.jpg

Edited by doulikefish

7 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Really nice for a weekend but been a few years since I was there ( pre COVID)

We often use the bus tour in new cities to basically get our bearings and Palermo's was no different.We normally go round once and decide where we are going to get off and do the tourist thing and there is plenty to see as in most Italian cities.As for eating out what we do in Italy is an aimless wander and check we're the locals are eating and try and get in apart from one fancy place down by the marina which the missus had seen on a Rick Stein programme which we went in on the Sunday night ( fully booked Fri/sat) https://lacambusa.it/it/

Also did a mount Etna but we had a hire car for a couple of days so we did Messina as well ( drove around the whole island)

Forgot to mention if you go up Etna take warm clothes...I was the only idiot in shorts 

Also went to a Palermo match so if you can persuade the others it's normal Italian football experience and the ultras display outside the ground was pretty good

2021-07-03.jpg

2021-07-03.jpg

Thanks for that.

Agree about bus tours, that's our plan for day one.  I couldn't see the Rick Stein Long Weekend on i-player but looks like I can buy it for £2 on Youtube so will have a look - we were glad we had had a look at the Bologna episode before we visited there.

The restaurant trip is near where we are staying so we will have a look.  

I would be tempted to try the Palermo game when we are there but suspect I will be outvoted!

Cheers